October 09, 2023
2219 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
18 May 2015 20:32 #202646 by Dr. Mabuse
Sold Firefly and expansions to pick up Barnes' highly rated and the lovingly reviewed Imperial Assault.

The Nephew is gonna lose his mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2015 12:58 #202881 by Jexik
I picked up Tragedy Looper. I'm not sure who I'm going to play it with yet. It's tricky because of how the hidden information and not playing over the same scenario goes, and the fact that I probably won't want to play the first two over and over again. Luckily it seems easy enough to make your own or find some on BGG. My girlfriend expressed interest after I explained to her what it's about, but the only games I've played with her so far are Chess, some simple games like Skull, Red7, Hanabi, and social deduction games.

More
28 May 2015 16:00 #203082 by Egg Shen
Ordered Specter Ops, the latest game from Plaid Hat that seems to be causing a ruckus. I'm a big fan of deduction/hidden movement games so I decided to hop on this one before it goes Dead of Winter and becomes impossible to find.

Also grabbed the stand alone expansion for Epic Spell Wars. Glad to see that game get some support.

More
28 May 2015 16:05 #203085 by Green Lantern

Egg Shen wrote: Ordered Specter Ops, the latest game from Plaid Hat that seems to be causing a ruckus. I'm a big fan of deduction/hidden movement games so I decided to hop on this one before it goes Dead of Winter and becomes impossible to find.

I just saw a copy of Dead of Winter at the local Barnes & Noble if you want me to pick it up for you, Egg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
28 May 2015 16:16 #203086 by Egg Shen
I actually managed to grab a copy of Dead of Winter a few months ago. Thanks for the offer though GL!

Funny you mentioned Barnes & Noble. I saw a single copy sitting at my local store about two weeks ago. First one I saw in the wild. So it looks like they're one place that got a shipment of them.

More
29 May 2015 16:41 - 29 May 2015 16:50 #203134 by mikecl
Just bought a copy of Arcadia Quest which is a pretty simple dungeon crawl with Chibi-style characters and a built-in campaign system that at first blush actually looks a lot cleverer than TOEE. The game has very simple rules, but because in addition to the monsters, your opponents are also your enemies, manages to provide enough interesting tactical decisions to keep you engaged. The PVP aspect of the game adds just the right amount of zip to the gameplay.

There's probably nine hours of play in the campaign or about one hour per scenario. But you only use about half of them in one campaign so that, the dice, and a variety of characters guarantees pretty good replay value. There's also an expansion that's already out for it. The game is pure eye candy. Bright colours, thick alabaster tiles with good artwork and extraordinarily well-produced minis. Gameplay is simple, but fun.

Aside from the simple gameplay, the other potential draw back is the Chibi-style. If you're looking for serious, this ain't it. But it is a dungeon crawl that is so easy to teach and that you can play with just about anybody, with enough backstabbing, tactical gameplay to keep the gamer in you interested. For me, so far, so good. I hope it holds up.

All those minis don't come cheap though. I paid 100 bucks Canadian for it so won't be buying anything else for awhile.
Last edit: 29 May 2015 16:50 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, hotseatgames

More
03 Jun 2015 10:31 #203319 by lj1983
woo! Starcraft and broodwar, bought the guy about 70$ worth of games for it. i've been sad ever since i traded it away. cancelled my forbidden stars pre-order, so a net-zero.

More
03 Jun 2015 18:06 - 03 Jun 2015 18:29 #203354 by bfkiller
I picked up the new edition of Lords of Scotland. I'm a big fan of the game and have name-dropped it a few times at this site because I feel it's unheralded / underrated. The new production is much nicer than the older one and can be picked up for under $20. I recommend it if you like card games. It vaguely reminds me of Condottiere for those who are fans of that one.

Also, I've been lucky at thrift stores recently (Thurn and Taxis, 7 Wonders, Carcassonne, which I grabbed for about $5 each). I've already traded two of them away, though (Thurn & Taxis for Duck Dealer and 7 Wonders for Buffy the Vampire Slayer). I also traded away Freedom: The Underground Railroad for Hyperborea. I like Freedom but it's not one that generates much interest so I usually played it solo, and I decided that I prefer Pandemic for that style of co-op game.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2015 18:29 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Gregarius

More
03 Jun 2015 21:19 #203358 by iguanaDitty

bfkiller wrote: 7 Wonders for Buffy the Vampire Slayer

In the running for best trade ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller, engineer Al, stoic

More
04 Jun 2015 09:07 #203371 by Legomancer
I jumped into that Miniature Market St. Soldier Day sale and grabbed:

Eight Minute Empires: Lost Lands
A Fistful of Dinero (anyone here know anything about this?)
3012 (may not be good, but it was worth trying out at $18)
Uranopolis Neuroshima Hex army

day after, Nations: the Dice Game dropped so I had them add that in.

Arrives Saturday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds