What board games are you BUYING?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What board games are you BUYING?

06 Nov 2013 14:23 #164583

Re: What board games are you BUYING?

Just got my GMT fall sale stuff in...

Sekigahara: Read all 14 pages of rules in about a half hour. Seems super easy to play. Looks freakin fantastic. The board weighs about 5 pounds. Anyway, psyched to get this played in the very near future.

Andean Abyss : GMT continues to kick ass components wise. Such leaps and bounds ahead of what was once acceptable in the wargame community. The rule book is also surprisingly small. Haven't read it yet but people on this site whose taste I respect give it a thumbs up. Maybe I can get the F:AT squad to try it..but solo will work for me too.

Pax Porfiriana(sp?) should be arriving today after the lighting shipment of 17 days from Fun Again.
More than a man. More than a machine. More than a fusion of the two.
  • repoman
  • D8
  • Cardboard is Forever
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty
NOW ONLINE
14 Nov 2013 21:49 #165223

Just bought 1825 Unit 2 from Duke of Cheney. I love how direct this 18XX is, you can play it in two hours or less and is as simple as an euro.

Shame it doesn't have a wider release because it would be loved by the average gamer.
18 Nov 2013 03:09 #165407

I got a trade offer from a guy for my Descent promo figures. He's got Star Wars Epic Duels and Mage Knight. Debating on which I want. I've always wanted Epic Duels, but don't really see it getting played much. At least with Mage Knight I could play solo, but it's such a long game.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" – Louis Pasteur
19 Nov 2013 00:10 #165470

SWEET FUCKING TRADE!

Out:
Robinson Crusoe
Trains
Qwixx

In:
Krosmaster: Arena
First 3 expansion packs
Amalia promo figure

I'm stoked. I read the rules for Robinson and was immediately disinterested. Trains sucked. Qwixx is mostly irrelevant.
MWChapel wrote: Euro's are trying to bring gaming to the level of competitive sports. Competition based on skill outweighs the basic theme driven escapism. Sport over entertainment.

Jeb wrote: If this is true, I consider Ameritrash to be "sports" like cliff-diving, professional wrestling and that race for cheese they do in England.
21 Nov 2013 20:16 #165730

I finally broke down and bought Navajo Wars. What a beautiful, thick, lovely board. It's a little more Euro than I usually like and a solo game. But Joel Toppen has done a superb job of simulating the difficulty native Indians had resisting their subjugation by colonial powers.

The game spans a few hundred years from the arrival of the Spanish, to Mexican Independence and finally the impact of American culture which finally resulted in their subjugation at the hands of Kit Carson, an American hero which Toppen's design notes reveal is despised by the Navajo to this day.

Toppen has effectively replicated the Indian culture of the day. Your action points are based on the number of elders you have who have an inconvenient way of dying off. You control family units (man, woman and child). The child can grow into a Man or Woman or Elder. They're the most versatile unit. You rarely have the strength to fight directly, so you raid and you strengthen your families to resist the encroachment on your territory by missionaries, settlers and soldiers who are constantly reducing your Culture.

You use Culture to raise your Military (but rarely use Military to fight). You can fight but you have to pick your battles. Each time you fight your raise your ferocity, making it harder to evade enemies and you raise the enemy's ferocity making them stronger in battle.

The Navajo can rarely win the game by fighting although there is an ahistorical perk called "Warrior Society" that lets you try.

The game is won at a set point delineated by the card deck which is custom designed with historical events spaced out at intervals of eight with Operations and Ceremony cards that are randomly mixed into the deck.

It ends when you pull the last historical event and each period has its own custom deck.
If your Military exceeds the enemy's Morale by 3 you win a major victory, by 0-2, a minor victory and less than zero: Major and Minor Defeats.

It's a fairly complex brain burner and the errata that was bemoaned on the Geek turns out be insignificant. Toppen has seven pages of errata on GMT but most of it is clarifications not errata, so he's actually made his game look worse than it is.

The few real errata are easily penciled into the rule book or the card charts. The board is visually stunning and the player aids are thick and beautifully rendered. This is the first ONLY solo game I own and it's hard making time to play it. (It's also a very long game) BUT I'm glad I got it. It's not just a game. It's a Phil Ecklund style education, but unlike a lot of Phil's stuff Navajo Wars is definitely a professional and playable design.

It won't appeal to everyone. It feels a little like chess. But I like it.
calling occupants of interplanetary craft
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2013 17:48 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff White
21 Nov 2013 23:28 #165758

Attack Wing. Just got in my order for Valdore, Kraxon, and Gor Portas. Now I just need the starter set and ships I ordered with that to arrive so I can start playing. Also picked up the DS9 cardboard off ebay.
THANKS OBAMA!
26 Nov 2013 14:31 #166030

ahhhh! My first post to this thread! I actually bought a board game!

The last time I got one was in Summer 2012 and that was Eclipse but I didn't actually buy it so I didn't post here.

I just walked into a board game shop and saw Android: Netrunner staring right at me. I've been after this game for years since I've heard so many good things but every place I walk into doesn't have it. Until today!

a 30-minute 2-player game is just what the doctor ordered for my wife and I. Since having our beautiful little girl, who has time or energy for a 2-3 hour game of WotR or Twilight Struggle? I want to so bad but we just can't get it together.

This should be perfect. i can't wait. My first LCG too I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Dr. Mabuse, Jeff White, mikecl
26 Nov 2013 16:12 #166043

On a similar note, I forgot to mention my brother gave me his copy of Netrunner because the game drives him nuts. Not the kind of game my wife is into, however.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" – Louis Pasteur
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
26 Nov 2013 16:12 #166044

Black Barney wrote:
I just walked into a board game shop and saw Android: Netrunner staring right at me. I've been after this game for years since I've heard so many good things but every place I walk into doesn't have it. Until today!

a 30-minute 2-player game is just what the doctor ordered for my wife and I. Since having our beautiful little girl, who has time or energy for a 2-3 hour game of WotR or Twilight Struggle? I want to so bad but we just can't get it together.

I love A:NR. I also wouldn't be shocked if the game runs over 30 minutes, even with the out of the box factions. I _definitely_ wouldn't be shocked at the elapsed time if you consider switching sides to be fair, or if you wanted to build your own decks. It's an awesome game, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
26 Nov 2013 17:02 #166057

Black Barney wrote:
ahhhh! My first post to this thread! I actually bought a board game!

The last time I got one was in Summer 2012 and that was Eclipse but I didn't actually buy it so I didn't post here.

This should be perfect. i can't wait. My first LCG too I think.

I sincerely hope you like it Barney. I didn't. I love Android but I found Netrunner a little too sterile and calculating for my tastes. That said, there's definitely a game there. It just didn't work well for my wife and she's my main two player companion.

I know lots love it, but then everyone went crazy over Dominion when it first came out and I don't like that one either.
calling occupants of interplanetary craft
Time to create page: 1.44 seconds
Text Size