October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
25 Sep 2015 21:29 #211364 by repoman
Do yourself a favor and never waste any energy wondering if anything is a "real" wargame. The true question is if it's any good. I'd be interested to hear what you think of them after you've played them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Gary Sax, wadenels, DukeofChutney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2015 06:49 #211380 by DukeofChutney
I've played both Ottoman and cruel necessity. CN is hard as nails. I enjoyed them but won't get another game in the system, not because its bad, but just because what it is felt like an experience you have and then are done with. Ottoman is far simpler, roll dice, push your luck resource allocation game try to push the enemies armies back. CN has a load of political tracks, more complex card events and a simple battle system bolted on. It tells a good story but the strategy game is mostly knowing the card deck and rolling well.

More
26 Sep 2015 13:45 #211398 by SuperflyPete
Well, I just bought 2 mid sized fleets for Firestorm Armada off a gal on Bartertown.com, super cheap. Then because of the MM sale on Spartan Games stuff I got some space statons super cheap, plus I preordered the SW Armada Rogues expansion because Outrider, thats why.

My wife is going to be pissed. I only got a half check this month so we shouldn't be buying shit. that said, I got 350$ in stuff for $150 so I view it as an investment LOL

More
26 Sep 2015 15:20 #211403 by ThirstyMan

R.P.Kraul wrote:
Victory Point Games was having a sale on some of their States of Seige titles, and I took advantage by buying Cruel Necessity and Ottoman Sunset. These are solo games, which I love, and they will represent my first journey into wargames. Are these ttrue wargames? I have no idea. These games are both supposed to be quite tough, which is right up my alley. .

No they aren't, they are whack a mole games which is a poor substitute for an actual solo game. Soviet Dawn is perhaps the worst simulation of the RCW I have ever played. Wargames are at least supposed to vaguely simulate the conflict. Soviet Dawn fails miserably. Totally put me off all other VPG games, especially the State of Siege series.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
02 Oct 2015 09:37 #211769 by bendgar
Jenga. One of the older versions off of eBay. So far it has left North Carolina and gone to California. According to the USPS I will have it in Cincinnati, OH by 2 days ago.

More
10 Oct 2015 17:47 #212274 by DukeofChutney
put an order in for Pax Pamir - Eklund essen release, follow up to Pax Porfiriana but a different design partner and topic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, stoic

More
11 Oct 2015 00:13 #212277 by stoic
After looking for about three years, I finally stumbled onto a thrifted copy of Acquire (1976) for $.1.95. This game has been on my wish list. The box was scuffed but the game was unplayed. For some reason, just trying to fathom why this old game remained unplayed for all of those years and why it ended up in a thrift store made me sad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Gregarius

More
11 Oct 2015 00:42 #212279 by Cranberries

DukeofChutney wrote: put an order in for Pax Pamir - Eklund essen release, follow up to Pax Porfiriana but a different design partner and topic.

This game really appeals to me. I think someone here recommended the book T he Great Game . After watching various nationalities jockey for money I find the whole thing fascinating. One of my Qatari students said that the British are like gum on your shoe--you can't get completely rid of them, ever. That said, I bought Greenland a year ago and haven't played it yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
11 Oct 2015 06:07 - 11 Oct 2015 06:10 #212283 by DukeofChutney
of the Eklund games i've played Greenland is probably the most average. It tells a cool story and is an interesting experience, but its basically chuckin dice and hoping for 1s. Theres some strategy but it stays true to its survival theme and as such you can just get wiped out by bad luck.

If Pamir is anything like Porifiana it will be awesome. Porfiriana is probably my favourite card game. I will throw together a review once i have a couple of games in.

I have read Peter Hopkirk's the great game, really good read. I am preparing a mega game on the great game for the Pennine Mega gamers in the UK.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2015 06:10 by DukeofChutney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
11 Oct 2015 09:34 - 11 Oct 2015 09:37 #212284 by Legomancer
For once the Barnes and Noble near us had decent stuff in its red tag clearance. I got Abyss, Pandemic: Contagion, and Survive!. I'll probably keep Survive, as I like that one. Contagion I've played and it's not bad but not a necessary. Never played Abyss, so we'll see. I figure I'll be able to trade them at some point or someone in my group will want if I don't.

Oh! And Daviau is at Essen and I asked him to grab the Theseus: Hunters expansions, N. Hex Steel Police, and Pax Pamir. Hopefully he can. Also asked him if he's heard anything good about this game, Pandemic Leprosy or something. Supposed to be the shit?
Last edit: 11 Oct 2015 09:37 by Legomancer.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds