October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
24 Oct 2018 07:41 #284588 by Hadik
CoM shines on VASSAL. In fact, the printed map gets a fair amount grief because of the dark drab Mahaffey palette, but on a monitor it is easy to read. A game takes several Friday nights to complete but that gives enjoyable time for reflection and thinking. I had a regular gaming partner for this one. But the warrior spirit descended upon me and I crushed him in back to back games, first as the Prussians/Brits, then... as the French/Austrian/Russians. He quit the game forever. This is a guy who never lost a game of PoG or UKC to me even once.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2018 08:54 #284592 by the_jake_1973

Hadik wrote: CoM shines on VASSAL. In fact, the printed map gets a fair amount grief because of the dark drab Mahaffey palette, but on a monitor it is easy to read. A game takes several Friday nights to complete but that gives enjoyable time for reflection and thinking. I had a regular gaming partner for this one. But the warrior spirit descended upon me and I crushed him in back to back games, first as the Prussians/Brits, then... as the French/Austrian/Russians. He quit the game forever. This is a guy who never lost a game of PoG or UKC to me even once.

Are you willing to school another opponent? Can this be played easily as a PBeM type affair? Or are there too many interruptive actions played on an opponents turn?

Cheers

More
24 Oct 2018 09:20 #284597 by Gary Sax
It is very interactive but it can be done. Best way is with email exchanges without files for interrupts, withdrawals, etc.

More
24 Oct 2018 13:25 #284618 by Hadik
I don’t even have a PC anymore, so I’m afraid I cannot at this time. The youths in my house usurped my control of the family PC, nuked it, then built their own rigs. CoM over VASSAL is the only reason I would get a new one. It’s tempting!

More
25 Oct 2018 13:55 #284674 by DarthJoJo
Friend’s game store had a buy-two-get-one sale this past weekend, so I picked up a few good few handfuls of Harry Potter TCG packs from the first three sets.

I’ve been off random boosters since middle school, but they were fun to open especially as I had no idea what to expect. Didn’t pull any of the big three, but we did get three Draco Malfoys, one of them some weird holo thing that’s a strain to see. Looking forward to building a few decks for a light game with the wife after the boys go to bed.

More
26 Oct 2018 21:21 #284812 by Hadik
Quartermaster General showed up today. Can’t wait to get it played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, the_jake_1973

More
01 Nov 2018 03:51 #285046 by san il defanso
I went with my sons to a mall here in Manila today, and we checked out a nice game store there. I had originally been on the lookout for Azul, which is exactly the kind of game my wife likes, and the kind of game I'll end up playing a lot here.

However, it was the first day that the new edition of Arkham Horror was available, and I thought long and hard about grabbing that instead. It looks like something I'd like, but I am overinvested in longish adventure games already. Jumping on what will surely be another expansion treadmill also sounded exhausting.

So I walked away with Azul. It'll be fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
01 Nov 2018 18:33 #285109 by Sevej
Finally, after making a home made copy of it years ago, got a dirt cheap FFG Nexus Ops.

#lifegoal
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, san il defanso, Brewmiester, stoic, Ah_Pook

More
02 Nov 2018 18:35 #285171 by tin0men
Fell afoul of AH 3E today, and bit (now need more room on the Cthulhu shelves...).
And yesterday - after hearing Josh & Al wax poetic on the podcast - I put in a preorder for FoD 4E, to come compete with my well-aged copy of 3E.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, engineer Al

More
02 Nov 2018 18:37 #285172 by Disgustipater
Remind me of the name of the podcast, please.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds