October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
02 Nov 2018 19:57 #285174 by engineer Al

Disgustipater wrote: Remind me of the name of the podcast, please.

It Came From The Tabletop!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tin0men, Disgustipater, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2018 01:03 #285184 by hotseatgames
Bought the PDF of Rangers of Shadow Deep, from the creator of Frostgrave. This is a fantasy miniatures game much like Frostgrave, but it is cooperative, and focuses on rangers, as the title might suggest. I'll report more once I get to try it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, allismom3, Brewmiester, Colorcrayons, stoic, GorillaGrody, WadeMonnig

More
03 Nov 2018 12:38 #285191 by Ah_Pook
I bought a copy of Conspiracy for $2. It's a mass market game from the 70s where you have to get a spy to bring a briefcase to your base to win, but anyone can move any spy. The trick is that you are also secretly paying off spies, and you can challenge when people attempt to move spies and whoever has paid them more wins the challenge. You can also assassinate spies. So you're trying to secretly pave the way for your paid off spies to make a big move and get the briefcase to you while also bluffing about who you have paid off and what your plans are. It sounds really neat, plus $2 is nice.

More
05 Nov 2018 15:15 #285342 by Space Ghost
I bought Speed Freeks....if nothing else, I figured I could use the minis in Gaslands if I wanted to.

More
05 Nov 2018 21:43 #285379 by stoic
I recently picked up at auction Space Freaks with its promo for $20, all unplayed.

Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2018 23:02 #285385 by DarthJoJo
Well, I'm tumbling all the way down the Harry Potter TCG rabbit hole. The three decks I was able to cobble together from roughly thirty boosters were okay, but I've been spoiled by LCGs. I want better than okay. I want reasonably efficient decks with tight focus. I want starting witches and wizards who aren't Draco, McGonagall, Lee Jordan and Marcus Flint. So I bought booster boxes for every set but the core.

They arrived when I was out of town, so my mom and wife started cracking packs. My mom was intrigued, so my wife taught her the game with our premade decks. Then my mom took one of the boxes home with her and promised to look up deckbuilding rules. That's fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
06 Nov 2018 00:14 #285388 by ubarose

DarthJoJo wrote: Well, I'm tumbling all the way down the Harry Potter TCG rabbit hole. The three decks I was able to cobble together from roughly thirty boosters were okay, but I've been spoiled by LCGs. I want better than okay. I want reasonably efficient decks with tight focus. I want starting witches and wizards who aren't Draco, McGonagall, Lee Jordan and Marcus Flint. So I bought booster boxes for every set but the core.

They arrived when I was out of town, so my mom and wife started cracking packs. My mom was intrigued, so my wife taught her the game with our premade decks. Then my mom took one of the boxes home with her and promised to look up deckbuilding rules. That's fun.

Are you talking about the old Harry Potter TCG from about 15 years ago that is out of print? I love that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
06 Nov 2018 09:15 #285395 by DarthJoJo

ubarose wrote:

DarthJoJo wrote: Well, I'm tumbling all the way down the Harry Potter TCG rabbit hole. The three decks I was able to cobble together from roughly thirty boosters were okay, but I've been spoiled by LCGs. I want better than okay. I want reasonably efficient decks with tight focus. I want starting witches and wizards who aren't Draco, McGonagall, Lee Jordan and Marcus Flint. So I bought booster boxes for every set but the core.

Are you talking about the old Harry Potter TCG from about 15 years ago that is out of print? I love that game.

Yeah. I didn’t really think about it in our first few games, but the design is so clean. It may feel like baby’s first CCG, but that’s not a bad thing. The economy is straightforward, and the cards just do what they say. That may not sound like much but compared to Keyforge, which I think is aimed at a more casual audience, you don’t need to parse the difference between stun and exhaust, archive and purge, etc.

And I love the lighthearted, adventurous Harry Potter setting before Order of the Phoenix. Can’t imagine this game fitting in avada kedavra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Nov 2018 10:21 #285404 by Vysetron
Slightly off-topic because I haven't bought it yet, but is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the Dice Tree version of Modern Art over another? I need to finally own that game and holy crap this edition is gorgeous.

More
06 Nov 2018 10:38 #285406 by barrowdown
Only versions of Modern Art worth buying are the original artwork versions (Mayfair used it for their original two English editions).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds