October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2690 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
31 Dec 2018 21:23 #288972 by stoic
I just picked up Homeland: The Board Game from Amazon for $8.50 on Amazon Prime. This is the second time that I've purchased it having traded it away a few years ago in a multiple board game deal for TITAN!. I couldn't pass up the $8.50 shipped. Also, I loved the show and it's a good game.

www.amazon.com/Homeland-The-Game-Board/d...ativeASIN=1940825539

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2019 02:23 #288976 by SaMoKo
I have Vinci rather than Small World, but same principle. It’s a damn good game that combines an auction for wildly imbalanced factions with typical dudes on a map multiplayer mayhem. The different abilities keep it fresh between plays.

Small World more depth than many give it credit for, and it has a higher charm value and thematic connection to the older Vinci. It’s too bad these older games get overlooked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
01 Jan 2019 02:52 - 01 Jan 2019 02:54 #288977 by ubarose
I agree with SaMoKo. Small world is a good game. It's just VINCI with a cuter retheme which makes it appear lighter than it is. I don't play it though, because it gives me AP - it is indeed deeper than it appears.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2019 02:54 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SaMoKo, BillyBobThwarton

More
01 Jan 2019 14:37 #288993 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: I agree with SaMoKo. Small world is a good game. It's just VINCI with a cuter retheme which makes it appear lighter than it is. I don't play it though, because it gives me AP - it is indeed deeper than it appears.

WRONG! Small World is awful. It just rubs me the wrong way that there’s no way to defend a position. Anything you do is immediately undone. As a wargamer and a software engineer it drives me bats that nothin can be built to STAY FRIKKIN’ FIXED.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
01 Jan 2019 15:36 #288996 by SuperflyPete
I liked Small World and some of my group didn’t because of the abrupt change of race. To them it felt like it was forced and breaks up the civ building aspect.

I disagree. It’s a good family game.

NOW...I got the latest wave of four Exit! Games for the wife for Christmas, which resulted in her side eying me and making rumbles about buying my own gifts. I explained that unless there was a new guitar under the tree, that didn’t happen and I genuinely thought she loved them.

She relented and said that she did and was glad I got them for her...us
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
01 Jan 2019 16:19 #288997 by Ah_Pook
They had Mystery Rummy 3 (Jekyll and Hyde) and Innovation used at the used book store, so I bought them for $12 combined. Pretty happy with that pickup, even though I definitely didn't need to buy more games after Christmas.

More
01 Jan 2019 20:06 #289006 by Gary Sax
Sag's issue is my own issue with Small World (and History of the World, which is one I've played more).

That said, I'm not sure uba's "WRONG!" but rather has different preferences in war games.

More
01 Jan 2019 21:22 #289011 by SaMoKo
Small World and Vinci aren’t warhames lol. It’s meant to be aggressive as a means of driving the auction for future abilities. The only way to defend, in this sense, is timing when to decline and pushing the less threatening ability combos through the track as low hanging fruit. Where you decide to start expanding from can also influence your declined race’s fate.

But hey, if you don’t like a game no argument is gonna change your mind! Play what you enjoy :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Jan 2019 22:52 #289017 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: That said, I'm not sure uba's "WRONG!" but rather has different preferences in war games.

“WRONG” in a Dom DeLuise/Blazing Saddles sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Jan 2019 16:23 - 02 Jan 2019 18:36 #289100 by Vysetron
I found something really interesting from Iello of all publishers. Back, way back in the mists of 2013, they put out a game called Titanium Wars. TW is notable for a couple things: it's very pretty, it's name is even more stupid than it sounds, and it's basically Diplomacy: The Card Game.

Rules TL;DR, it's a game of conflict where you are encouraged to take aim freely in order to drag people down, but once points are scored (taking over planets) they can never be taken away. Games can be won in as few as two planets so every fight is huge. It's got a simultaneous market phase and then you just brawl with each other. I'm excited to get it played, because if this thing works I'm going to sing its praises from the rooftops and sell the rest of those cheapo copies for some random amazon seller.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2019 18:36 by Vysetron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, DukeofChutney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.745 seconds