October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
08 Mar 2019 14:09 #293556 by Hadik

Michael Barnes wrote: And I feel like a total junkie for hawking it too, I ran out of a couple of cans of overpriced Citadel sprays today and was like “welp, need to raise $60”.

Dude, get an airbrush!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2019 14:53 #293557 by barrowdown

Hadik wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: And I feel like a total junkie for hawking it too, I ran out of a couple of cans of overpriced Citadel sprays today and was like “welp, need to raise $60”.

Dude, get an airbrush!

I told him that years ago and he ignored me. He could have easily bought a good setup then and still be on the same bottle of primer today.

More
11 Mar 2019 07:54 #293637 by hotseatgames
Apparently the other night when I was drunk I ordered Millennium Blades Set Rotation, so I've got that coming. I was going to buy it at some point anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vysetron

More
11 Mar 2019 15:16 - 11 Mar 2019 15:17 #293669 by Sagrilarus
Good news and bad -- Seal Team Flix is in at my somewhat-local game store, so I can grab that for my buddy with store credit because I consigned a bunch of games there.

But -- the game store just announced that they're closing.

Dear Family Game Store Community,

It is with the utmost sadness that we announce that
The Family Game Store will be closing at the end of March, 2019. Over the last 13 years, we have been proud to host a strong community of tabletop game players of all ages, including both those new to the hobby as well as experienced veterans.
We are grateful for your support and patronage over the years, and our greatest hope is that you will continue to enjoy tabletop gaming for years to come. To celebrate our community, we will continue to have our regular gaming events. We will have a farewell potluck during our open game night on Saturday, March 23. We invite all of you to attend! We will be placing a couple of final game orders, so if you would like a final special order please contact us by Sunday, March 17. Special orders will have to be picked up no later than March 25 and will be discounted by 15% off MSRP regardless of any other in store discounts. If you have store credit, we encourage you to come in and take advantage of our liquidation sale. If you have consignment games on sale at the store, you will be contacted to pick them up. We can provide you with some alternative places to sell the games if you wish. Please immediately reach out to us with any questions or concerns. Thank you for your support, and we hope to see you this month… For The Fun Of It!

Best Regards,

Laura Burns
John Cmar
Stephen Sinex

Good bunch of folks in what was maybe the cleanest, most family-oriented games store I have ever seen. I'll likely make one last trip out that way and pick up anything I still have up for consignment sales and Seal Team Flix. I think it will burn out the remains of my store credit, so at least I'm not going to lose it.

Played a lot of Heroscape at that store. Wings of Glory, Sails of Glory, way too much Pokemon back when it was more casual play.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2019 15:17 by Sagrilarus.

More
11 Mar 2019 15:37 #293671 by hotseatgames
Store sells SEAL Team Flix. Store closes. Coincidence?

More
11 Mar 2019 18:08 #293678 by WadeMonnig

hotseatgames wrote: Store sells SEAL Team Flix. Store closes. Coincidence?

The store I picked mine up at recently moved to a bigger location. STF gives and STF takes away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Mar 2019 18:25 #293680 by Ah_Pook
I picked up Northern Pacific today, as the new RGG version is cheap and I really enjoy the PNP copy of it that i made a while back (before it got picked up for full on release). Its a fascinating stripped to the metal take on railroad games/incentive manipulation. its been hit or miss if people like it or not, but a round takes 10-15 minutes so if they don't no big loss. and i love it personally.

More
12 Mar 2019 22:48 - 12 Mar 2019 23:18 #293726 by Sagrilarus
So I went to pick up Seal Team Flix from the place where I have store credit, the place that’s going out of business. And I have more store credit. Use it or lose it, so my boy finds Ashes Rise of the Phoenix Born and says it looks really cool. So it goes on the pile. Everything in the store is 25% off, so still more store credit. Buy a Wings of Glory plane to finish it up.

Then the guy comes out with three of my games that never sold — Struggle of Empires which is a doozy that I had priced to sell, Source of the Nile, and Storm Over Stalingrad.

Good problems to have, but problems nonetheless.

So, Ashes Rise of the Phoenix Born . . . any good? It says 30 to 120 minutes so I’ll have to schedule three hours when my boy plays.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2019 23:18 by Sagrilarus.

More
12 Mar 2019 23:36 #293729 by ubarose
@Sag

Josh Look says it is really good, but I've never played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
13 Mar 2019 08:25 #293739 by Vysetron
I ran an Ashes meetup in my area that was mostly attended by Netrunner expats. The game was really solid and I still think its resource system in particular is fantastic. Unfortunately Plaid Hat got acquired not too long after and that led to about a year of no new expansions, which then led to the playerbase bleeding out. We treated it as a board game night for a while before it just fizzled. Now there's a bunch of expansions that I don't know anything about. Maybe they're good?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
20 Mar 2019 11:37 #294123 by lj1983
Ogre 6th edition for $13 from Google express (Dicey Goblin). I've....never played Ogre, so at that price it's worth a look
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Mar 2019 21:58 #294153 by dysjunct
- Exceed Fighting System, Street Fighter edition. Will this be the game that finally merges my teenage obsession with my middle aged board game nerdery? TIME WILL TELL. BattleCon and Yomi were fun but too complex, in that I’d beat anyone I introduced them to.

- Happy Salmon. Camping trip with the extended family coming up in June. This travels well and is light enough for non-gamers and/or nieces/nephews, but cards don’t combine well with typical windy camping conditions. Positive harbinger: my 4yo spawn loves this and wants to play with various stuffed animals as dummy players.

- Zoo Ball. Dexterity games are fundamentally silly and this looks to embrace it rather than fight it.

More
20 Mar 2019 22:14 #294155 by Michael Barnes
I had the rare desire to buy a game so I picked up Monolith Arena. Looks great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
20 Mar 2019 23:49 #294161 by BillyBobThwarton
I am looking to buy a copy of Merchant of Venus. The only 2 places I know to look right now would be ebay and BGG market. Any words of advice on the BGG market such as mistakes to avoid?

More
21 Mar 2019 00:08 #294163 by RolandHemisphere
I just tore the shrink off of “Stephenson’s Rocket” the last game Grail Games will produce, knowing this will go out of print and the edition is stunning. And “Root” because, well Root I guess. The group doesn’t have anything like this game and I easily convince myself they are amenable to anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds