October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
31 Oct 2015 19:18 #213828 by engelstein
Got my copy of Fast Food Magnate as well. Plus purchased Triumph & Tragedy. I didn't realize this was by the same guy (Craig Besinque) who did Rommel In The Desert, which is one of the best block games - actually best war games - ever. If I had realized that it would have been an instabuy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2015 01:41 #213830 by Frohike
My quest for early-to-mid 00's FFG stuff continues. I recently got Runebound 2nd ed through a BGG auction, so I've tracked down copies of Al-Kalim and Frozen Wastes. After getting Tannhauser in a math trade, I'm picking up the stuff that's hard to find before turning to MM for the last of the figures. Acquired the Novgorod expansion for a ridiculously low price on eBay. I thought I would certainly get sniped, but it never happened. I gave up on finding a decently priced FFG copy of the Daedalus map and bid on a French copy. For the figure expansions, I've decided to leave the Shogunate stuff out (kind of an arbitrary cut-off and kind of don't care for the faction), and picked up some of the others that are dwindling: Hoss, Matriarchy Troops, 2 Frankenstahls, Asteros, and I just found a seller for Hoax and Oksana.

New games? Not sure I want any at this point.

More
01 Nov 2015 14:09 #213847 by repoman
In the last 7 months I bought exactly one board game and that was from a portion of the money I made by selling off some of my prized possessions. However, having received my first non-training pay paycheck, I thought I ought to treat myself and...

I bought a copy of Adventurer off of ebay! It's an old "album game" by Yaquinto about either a sci-fi bar room brawl or a battle aboard a spaceship. It uses the same system as their more famous game Swashbuckler.

Buying games made in 1983 is how I stay relevant in this hobby.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike, engelstein

More
01 Nov 2015 16:05 #213850 by Space Ghost

Chapel wrote: In my quest to fill the Ancient AT gaps in my collection, I bought a copy of Starship Troopers this week, and an 3M copy of Aqcuire. My Avalon Hill collection is getting quite robust now. Really only a few things left to get with Magic Realm. That's my next target.

Damnit, Chapel. I had an extra copy I would have gladly sent you.

More
03 Nov 2015 05:14 - 03 Nov 2015 05:32 #213986 by Vistula Lurker
Just received this game called Eufrat and Tygrys. Over here, on the banks of Vistula river "Tygrys" means "Tiger", so i'm assuming it will be a fierce battle between this most dangerous predator and that "Eufrat" animal. Got to look it up in my dictionary. Hope that it will be a nice one.

I was thinking to make one more purchase. Now, Hyperborea or Merchants of Venus, that is the question.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 05:32 by Vistula Lurker.

More
03 Nov 2015 07:03 #213989 by the_jake_1973
I went on a small spree recently. While in Seattle, I picked up The Grizzled and Dead Drop. I had some credit at a local game store and picked up Red Dragon Inn 5. Being the completionist whore that I am, I hit up CoolStuff for the three remaining RDI allies and a copy of Lords and Ladies. On Monday, CoolStuff had L&L on their daily sale, so I asked them to credit me the difference since I just bought the game a couple days earlier. They did and I flipped that into a copy of the new Fury of Dracula. I have never played FoD in any edition, so I hope my group likes it. If they do, I believe that we could ditch Letter from Whitechapel.

More
05 Nov 2015 13:52 - 05 Nov 2015 13:53 #214246 by Chapel

Space Ghost wrote: Damnit, Chapel. I had an extra copy I would have gladly sent you.

Now if you had a copy of Magic Realm, that would be even better. ;)

Which I think is on my wishlist for the BGG.CON flea market. I can usually find some pretty nice deals. So what AH GW games should I look for this year? Definitely Fury of Dracula(Original), and Magic Realm. Fingers crossed.

Here is my latest shelf:

Last edit: 05 Nov 2015 13:53 by Chapel.

More
05 Nov 2015 15:06 #214252 by Scott_F
Just bought some recent games that have gotten a lot of love here. Evolution, Argent, and the expansion for Merchants & Marauders.

Next up by the end of the month includes the Argent expansion, Pax Pamir, Kemet expansion, maybe Guns & Steel, maybe new Star Realms expansion. And Cthulhu Wars full KS pledge soon enough.

More
05 Nov 2015 16:58 - 05 Nov 2015 17:29 #214258 by OldHippy
I have to go pick up my copy of Flick em Up on Friday and since I won't be going to that game store anymore now that I moved across town I figured I'd spend whatever points I had earned through shopping there. I had enough to afford a free copy of Shadows Over Brimstone: Swamps of Death ("Swamps of Death" - really?). So I figured what the hell. I'm having such a great time with Space Cadets: Away Missions that I'm thinking more co-op dungeon crawling (UFO/Swamp crawling... whatever) is probably a good idea. Especially since it works so well solo. The game seems to be well reviewed and Flying Frog didn't put fucking actors on the box this time.. plus, and this is my favourite part, it comes with paper character sheets you actually fill out. That's refreshing. It plays pretty quick too apparently, like 60-120 minutes. The game store has a limited selection of what you can buy with points so it's not like I get to choose whatever I want. This looked like the best thing for me... but now that I'm reading up on it I'm actually kind of excited.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2015 17:29 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
06 Nov 2015 03:22 #214297 by repoman
So a bit up thread I commented that I had bought a copy of Adventurer off eBay. That was Saturday. Now Thursday, it still has not shipped. I message the guy asking when he is going to put it in the mail.

His response: I seem to have misplaced the game. If I haven't found it by Monday you can have a $75 game or your money back.

Now, applause for offering me a $25 bonus to get another game you are selling (adventurer was $50) or a full refund but when were you going to let me know?

wonder if I should give him negative feedback. That'll show em.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Nov 2015 08:01 #214298 by Legomancer
I imagine he went Mon or Tues to get it ready for ship and couldn't find it, and was going to check again, maybe this weekend, assuming it was a board game and not a kidney needed for a dying patient.

More
06 Nov 2015 08:18 #214300 by Michael Barnes
I've had a couple of instances where I've bought games on eBay and I know they closed at a low or lower than average price...and the seller either "couldn't find" the game or it was "accidentally listed, not available"...so watch to see if he posts it again.

More
06 Nov 2015 08:25 - 06 Nov 2015 08:26 #214305 by ChristopherMD
I tried buying Runebound Frozen Wastes off someone once and the jerk messaged me later that he never even owned the game to begin with. What kind of asshole lists a game they don't even have? Needless to say I'd never waste my time looking at what Superfly has for sale again. ;p
Last edit: 06 Nov 2015 08:26 by ChristopherMD.

More
06 Nov 2015 09:21 #214317 by SuperflyPete
LMAO, bite me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
06 Nov 2015 09:25 #214318 by repoman

Legomancer wrote: I imagine he went Mon or Tues to get it ready for ship and couldn't find it, and was going to check again, maybe this weekend, assuming it was a board game and not a kidney needed for a dying patient.

Perhaps you would have a point if this were Joe Slob selling one or two games not Mr. eBay selling lots of stuff with the "buy it now for this price" method that isn't even really an auction but a business.

Therefore, I expect a business man to actually have the shit he's selling especially when he gets cash up front. Thats good business whereas this is jackassery.

Kidney patients can wait. I wanted this game prior to Trashfest.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.018 seconds