October 09, 2023
2425 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
06 Apr 2019 09:16 #295074 by Legomancer

san il defanso wrote: I walked into a store here in Manila, and what should I find but a copy of Steam on the shelf, with its price slashed? Since it's unclear whether that game is coming back or not, I snatched it up.

I got it home and realized it was exactly the game I wanted these days. The right level of depth, without tons of rules, nicely produced but not opulent. It feels almost old fashioned to see a game that isn't stretch goals out the wazoo. Really looking forward to revisiting it, I've been hankering for a long time.

I also picked up a game called Pawikan Patrol. It's a Filipino design where the players rescue sea turtles from poachers. (Pawikan is Tagalog for sea turtle.) No idea if it's any good, but I am excited to get a game I can't get anywhere else.

Playing Steam with the auction is closer to AOS, and it makes things "tougher" but I really prefer the action selection turn order system. I think it brings it in line with the rest of the game and provides interesting decisions of its own.

Enjoy! Steam is an all-time fave of mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2019 10:24 #295077 by san il defanso
I've played both versions, and Railroad Tycoon as well. It's been years though. I remember liking Age of Steam more at the time, but 2011 Nate is very different from 2019 Nate and the basic version has a lot of appeal to me now.

To be honest the form factor is appealing too. I sometimes long for the days when games cost $50 and didn't come in boxes the size of shipping pallets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
06 Apr 2019 19:40 #295100 by Colorcrayons
I probably shouldn't add this, but u nearly bought Hellopagos this afternoon. But grim reality dawned on me that I would not likely ever have enough people play it with, to do the game justice.

So I sighed, gingerly placed it back on the shelf, envious of the person who does buy it and would be able to enjoy it.

More
06 Apr 2019 23:43 - 07 Apr 2019 02:07 #295103 by Frohike
I'm curious to see what Kevin Wilson is bringing to the D&D Adventure System, so I'm picking up Waterdeep – Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

Zombicide fatigue has finally kicked in with my group after a few sessions of Green Horde. I thought Massive Darkness was going to be the successor, but it was mostly a disappointing mess. Sword & Sorcery has too much setup & moving parts to enjoy outside of solo or duo play.

I think D&DAS might be something they'll get into, though the 5-player limit is unfortunate (there’s almost always a 6th latecomer).

Also picked up Hellapagos, which sounds like something the group would play repeatedly, much like they’ve done with Resistance: Avalon sessions in the past.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2019 02:07 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, BillyBobThwarton

More
07 Apr 2019 08:49 #295106 by Legomancer
Despite my lukewarm review of it, I bought Neom, a drafting city-building game. I wasn't bowled over by it when I payed, but it's one of the few games I played at Conn Con that I kept thinking about, and I'm weak vs city building games.

Also grabbed the Fountain of Youth expansion for Lost Expedition, a game I really dig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
07 Apr 2019 13:15 #295114 by Jackwraith
I've been sweeping up a lot of small expansions that were convention or KS bonuses that people often have for sale on the BGG market. For example, I've gotten the New Orders and the Secret Objectives for Cry Havoc and Hecate and Manticore for Cyclades recently; all of them for $4 or $5, which is good for me since I am, once again, unemployed...

If I could find someone to sell me the Fox Clan for Rising Sun for a decent price, I'd be rolling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
26 Apr 2019 13:51 #296142 by Ah_Pook
Local place is having a big tabletop day blowout. I picked up Ethnos, Pillars of the Earth, Battle of the Five Armies, and War of the Ring 2e for $10 each. Don't know when if I'll get the two LOTR games played, but that's too good a deal to not grab.

More
26 Apr 2019 14:26 #296147 by Gary Sax
wow, yeah, wotr for 10 is a steal.

More
27 Apr 2019 06:59 #296164 by Msample

Ah_Pook wrote: Local place is having a big tabletop day blowout. I picked up Ethnos, Pillars of the Earth, Battle of the Five Armies, and War of the Ring 2e for $10 each. Don't know when if I'll get the two LOTR games played, but that's too good a deal to not grab.

Holy crap. BoFA is OOP I think too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
27 Apr 2019 11:00 #296168 by ubarose
I took advantage to the Amazon one day sale and got History of the World ($20), AuZtralia ($40) and Arena for the Gods ($25).

I had been wanting the first two for a while. The last was an impulse buy. I was thinking it would go well with Divinity Derby as a "We are bored Gods" theme night.

More
27 Apr 2019 21:00 - 27 Apr 2019 21:28 #296179 by Ah_Pook
I bought a bunch of cheap stuff at the flea market at tabletop day today

Hollywood Blockbuster (obviously I needed another Knizia auction game)
Shards of Infinity (my wife loves Star Realms and Ascension, this seems like a no brainer)
Space Cadets Away Missions (been eyeing this one for a while, for $10 I couldn't resist)
Carcassonne The Castle (2p Knizia designed Carcassonne, seems like a no brainer for my wife once again)
Race For The Galaxy (super cheap impulse buy, been wanting to play this for a long time)

So now I'm officially out on buying new games for the foreseeable future, having absolutely buried myself under super cheap games over the last couple days.

Edit: forgot, a guy was selling all the world books and some posters for Dungeon Degenerates for $1 each so I bought those too
Last edit: 27 Apr 2019 21:28 by Ah_Pook.

More
28 Apr 2019 11:23 - 28 Apr 2019 17:54 #296191 by RolandHemisphere
I seem to be going through an acquisition phase right now. Just picked up Bruxelles 1893 and La Granja a week ago. Northern Pacific and Warsaw: City of Ruin are scheduled for delivery Monday. I'm looking forward to cracking into these a lot. Considering some short reviews as well.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2019 17:54 by RolandHemisphere.

More
15 May 2019 14:53 #297096 by Vysetron
Bought Camp Grizzly. Can't wait to die horribly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Legomancer, mezike, WadeMonnig

More
11 Jun 2019 11:03 #298239 by charlest
MM just got a bunch of Cthulhu Wars stuff in stock. Think a few people were looking for the expansions here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
16 Jun 2019 11:09 #298463 by Vysetron
Finally pulled the trigger on Theseus, including expansions. Oracz is a favorite designer of mine and Neuroshima Hex is a masterpiece, albeit one I'll never physically own because the app is just that good. This game is something else.

Looking at this thread, I guess I make a notable acquisition about once a month? That feels like too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds