October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
20 Jan 2016 11:02 #220336 by the_jake_1973
King's Forge has appeared on my radar lately. Apparently, I missed the KS for the 2nd edition, but hopefully I can get one from my game store. It seems like a cool dice chucker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 15:56 #220354 by Gary Sax

hotseatgames wrote: Just bought the Hunters expansion for Theseus, which just came out today in the US. It's been around for quite a while elsewhere, I think. Ordered from miniaturemarket. For some reason, Amazon still acts like this thing doesn't exist.

Yeah, I picked up bots recently and haven't played it, but I really like the game so I'll probably add this to a cart at some point given its relatively low price.

More
20 Jan 2016 17:48 #220364 by Michael Barnes
That would make a nice filler for your Armada order, it would keep those small ship blister packs from rattling around in the box.

Just saying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
20 Jan 2016 18:01 #220367 by Gary Sax
hahaha

More
21 Jan 2016 09:34 #220396 by san il defanso
Over the last few weeks I've gathered a number of new purchases for my birthday:

- Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers
- Star Wars Risk
- Codenames
- Car Wars

I have no idea why I bought Car Wars. I don't think I understood that it was such a dense game. Now I need to figure out someone who can teach me to play.

More
21 Jan 2016 21:48 - 21 Jan 2016 22:16 #220459 by Gary Sax
Ok, this is driving me crazy. I want to counter some negativity with regard to Twilight Struggle Collector's Edition. Yes, the minis are little plastic bits, but they are pretty much what I figured they'd be (as described). Yes, there's also the misprint on Brush War, which is the main thing I have an actual problem with.

But forget the box (super cool) and the new kickstarter stuff. The art has seen an upgrade. Not just a little one. First, the art part of it extremely nice, much more consistent, on both the board and card backs. But I have not seen anyone mention just what a huge upgrade the actual individualized pictures on the cards got. Basically whomever the new art director was went through all the cards and made the colors really nice and period, with a black and white period tinge. Most importantly, I just finished sleeving all the cards and whomever the art director was picked out a huge number of new pictures for many cards when they were lacking. Whoever it was knew what the fuck they were doing, in almost every single case they upgraded to a much superior picture. Sometime just a (usually B+W) photo with a visibly better composition of the same subject (e.g. Portuguese Empire Crumbles). But in many cases, they changed pictures entirely and the results are stunning and SO much more evocative of the cold war. They got rid of the average graphics wherever they were and in almost every case replaced them with better period photography. Compare the new Missile Envy photo composition, for example, to the old cheesy Missile Envy clipartish thing. The cards are HUGELY upgraded. They even left the iconic photos that couldn't be changed; I mean, how could you choose a better photo for "We will bury you?"

I'm probably especially sensitive to this because I just finished a long history of postwar Europe, but I can't believe no one has been talking about how good some of these changes are. The photography choices are awesome.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2016 22:16 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Cranberries

More
21 Jan 2016 23:03 - 21 Jan 2016 23:05 #220467 by Disgustipater
While I don't have the Collectors Edition (I just bought the new Deluxe printing), I really like the CE's updated look of the cards, front and back. I'd really like to get my hands on a new set of cards, but that's not likely. Also, I really, really want that board with the single-line VP track. I don't know why, but that one little thing changes everything for me.

Gotta love the BGG folks complaining that the certificate of authenticity has pre-printed signatures, instead of actual handwritten ones. Who the fuck cares about a stupid certificate in the first place?
Also, there's a guy on BGG complaining about the $30 gift certificate being worthless, saying everything on GMT's site is too expensive, comparing them to Amazon's prices. Even though with the gift certificate they come out a little cheaper than Amazon.

What the actual fuck?
Last edit: 21 Jan 2016 23:05 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
22 Jan 2016 01:02 #220470 by Space Ghost
I almost had a heart attack when I noticed the barrels on my tanks were broken off. As I was clutching my arm, I noticed the bottle of super glue and composed myself.

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Art is better by a mile, the box is awesome, the wood chits are good. Better all around.

More
22 Jan 2016 03:56 #220471 by SuperFlySwatter
its very weird that they fucked up the Brush War period label, hard to understand how that actually happened,
and they did use a picture of the wrong dude on one of the cards, but otherwise it looks a lot nicer than I anticipated based on the whining, of course mine (courtesy of super fucking hero Andy) has not actually arrived yet but hopefully soon. The box is mint looking. I can understand that people think the minis look shit though, they dont really fit with how lush the rest of it is, but the board reworking looks cool and the turn zero stuff and alternate space track etc. Card backs are ace, heard a lot of sleeve whingeing but come on, just swap them if you dont like them FFS. Mine are going into KMC hyper mat beauties.

I plan to sniff inside the box and masturbate several times before actually getting it out to play, but still, it seems pretty obvious they miscalculated the cost to them and didnt really go through with the whole hog which is why some parts in there dont quite live up to the package. They should have charged a bit more and done a complete job but it still looks awesome and I've got my wanking gloves in the tumble dryer to keep warm while it gets here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
22 Jan 2016 05:10 #220472 by Vistula Lurker
Just got an old copy of Acquire. Had some doubts because it looked pretty beat up and the seller would not bother to count the components if it meant his life. But for about 4$ what did i have to lose? It turned out complete and in much better shape than in the photos so that's good.

Oh, I guess it's that "bookshelf" edition. Looks so pretentious it's actually funny. Would it be proper to put on Brahms in the background or is Gershwin going to be more suitable?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Gregarius

More
22 Jan 2016 05:37 #220544 by SuperFlySwatter
its allowed to be pretentious when its better than 99%+ of every single other game released since it was done in (1962 was it?)
make sure you put on your sunday best when you play, if your eyes are good, just fill in with fake glass spectacles for the full look
atomicspacejunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2...04/acquiregame12.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vistula Lurker

More
22 Jan 2016 06:54 - 22 Jan 2016 06:55 #220578 by Vistula Lurker
Now I'm starting to wonder if my hair are receding enough and my glasses are reasonbly serious to play it. Thankfully where my hair aren't already grey they still are bright enough to fake it. A business suit should help too I guess.

Come to me, the evening hours of joy and gamble!
Last edit: 22 Jan 2016 06:55 by Vistula Lurker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
22 Jan 2016 08:07 #220583 by KingPut
I've played my 1st edition Twilight Struggle 3 times in the last month. I really have Missile Envy to everyone getting the deluxe edition. I really need to up grade. At WBC, GMT sells extra components. Maybe they'll have the Deluxe decks and mounted board. I kind of want to try the 0 turn scenario.

More
22 Jan 2016 09:45 #220590 by Da Bid Dabid

KingPut wrote: I've played my 1st edition Twilight Struggle 3 times in the last month. I really have Missile Envy to everyone getting the deluxe edition. I really need to up grade. At WBC, GMT sells extra components. Maybe they'll have the Deluxe decks and mounted board. I kind of want to try the 0 turn scenario.

But us early adopters will always have "Chili", still cracks me up every time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
04 Feb 2016 10:19 #221656 by the_jake_1973
Buying King's Forge in it's new printing.
Trading Elder Sign for Ninja and Clash of Cultures for Zombicide. Both games are full on toads for my group. I have a different group that has CoC and I can play with their copy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds