October 09, 2023
2475 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2679 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
02 Aug 2016 11:20 #231243 by Gary Sax
If I hear great reports about 2nd edition, I could see doing Mansions of Madness at our house. My wife would dig it, I think. Don't know if it'll play well with 2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 11:30 #231244 by Chaz
I'll be watching MoM too, but the price is likely to continue to be a sticking point for me. I just can't manage to wrap my head around $80-85 on a single board game.

More
02 Aug 2016 12:09 #231246 by SuperflyPete

Chaz wrote: I'll be watching MoM too, but the price is likely to continue to be a sticking point for me. I just can't manage to wrap my head around $80-85 on a single board game.

And every Armada, Attack Wing, X-Wing, Heroscape, Magic, Summoner Wars...(etc)...owner laughed knowingly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Aug 2016 16:09 #231256 by R.P.Kraul

Chaz wrote: I'll be watching MoM too, but the price is likely to continue to be a sticking point for me. I just can't manage to wrap my head around $80-85 on a single board game.

It's not so bad considering what some companies are asking for KS games. Heck, at least FFG are a proven publisher.

More
03 Aug 2016 07:35 #231285 by Chaz

R.P.Kraul wrote:

It's not so bad considering what some companies are asking for KS games. Heck, at least FFG are a proven publisher.

True, but I avoid buying those kinds of KS games too. ;)

More
03 Aug 2016 15:18 #231325 by Columbob
I paid $90 (canadian) for TI3 TEN YEARS AGO (already!).

More
08 Aug 2016 09:24 #231567 by charlest
Secret Hitler
DRCongo (which I sold last year and regret)
Millennium Blades Promos which are way too expensive.

More
08 Aug 2016 13:30 #231583 by SuperflyPete
Got very lucky and found a 50$ bill (granted, it was in an envelope for a birthday present) so I had a buddy pick me up Zimby Mojo at GenCon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
08 Aug 2016 14:00 #231588 by Frohike
Finally went for a copy of Heroscape Rise of the Valkyrie. I've played the MtG knockoffs and I'm interested in checking out the original. Also getting Condotierre, which I've had a hard time tracking down at a sane price so I picked it up in the latest math trade.

More
08 Aug 2016 14:36 - 08 Aug 2016 14:38 #231591 by Jexik

Frohike wrote: Finally went for a copy of Heroscape Rise of the Valkyrie.

Worth it!

There's a great mix of stuff in there, including some units that regularly show up in the competitive scene. (Raelin, Krav Maga Agents, Marro Warriors, Grimnak, and to some extent Airborne Elite).

You can get a lot of play out of drafting those units. I used to love the map with the 11-height overhang from the rulebook. Migol's Tomb. Forsaken Waters is really good too.

At GenCon I picked up Codenames: Pictures, Animal upon Animal, and some Haba speed puzzle game for $5.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 14:38 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Aug 2016 07:47 - 09 Aug 2016 07:48 #231632 by Mr. White
doh! wrong thread!
Last edit: 09 Aug 2016 07:48 by Mr. White.

More
23 Aug 2016 00:33 - 23 Aug 2016 00:34 #232635 by Cranberries
So one of my first gaming experiences was playing Circus Maximus at a convention in SLC in the 1980s. Someone famous at the time whose name I forget taught us CM and also Titan. I played nice in Circus Maximus and didn't whip my cousin, who went on to win. He later got a job with a big gaming company (White Dwarf?) but was let go over some impropriety. He was a smart, good looking guy. He sort of spiraled downward over time and died last year in Las Vegas, where he was doing grounds work at a golf course. He was 49, I believe.

So a member of our local email list was selling some old stock and I picked up a copy of the pre-Avalon Hill version for $10. Today at work I found a ten dollar bill on the ground. This evening the owner offered me the game for free, but I gave him the $10. I don't know if I'll play it--it's a nostalgia purchase to be sure. It has been a weird day.

Last edit: 23 Aug 2016 00:34 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Dr. Mabuse, Columbob, JEM

More
23 Aug 2016 09:55 #232647 by JMcL63

Combat Commander's all well and good, but I was a teenage tankie, so how in the end could I resist Jim Day's Panzer ? I confess I resisted the game for ages, labouring still as I was under the burden of the weight of ASL with its core design paradigm of infantry supported by tanks. Panzer inverts this to create a game that is all about the tanks. And therein lies the secret of its success.

This game is a crunchy delight. Units are represented by data cards showing their offensive and defensive capabilities, which brings the added bonus that the unit counters are very clean, being free from most of the usual stats. Percentile dice form the random number generator, aiming for target numbers derived from 4 pages of charts and tables taking account of an initially bewildering variety of battlefield conditions. Short-range tank-on-tank combat is brutal and deadly and can leave the battlefield strewn with wrecked and blazing vehicles in the blink of an eye.

I was able- thanks to VASSAL (and the PDFs @ Consimworld ), to play a few solo games to test-run the system. The basic rules are too basic to satisfy for long, but you really can just read them and go straight into scenario 1. They do make a solid platform and I was quick to add advanced rules to enrichen the gaming experience.

I haven't even received my ordered copy of Panzer yet and I'm already delighted with my purchase. The initially forbidding system is coherent and logical and much easier to navigate than I'd feared. The resulting action never lets up giving you a game that presents you the opportunity to be rewarded for sensible tactics, punished for foolish, and occasionally to enjoy the luck of the gods to survive an apparently unwinnable situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Aug 2016 10:54 #232651 by Chaz
Star Wars Rebellion for $60 shipped seemed like a reasonable deal, so I got that.

More
23 Aug 2016 11:04 #232652 by SuperflyPete
Sold off a bunch of games and miniatures, ended up with a hundred and change.

Ordered Hit Z Road, Apocalypse Chaos (clearance!). Also got Kill The King as a KS preview (ugh) which actually looks really cool if you like hex/counter shit. Simple.

Going to get a used guitar amp, since my buddy who said he would give me his is very flaky. Probably have enough left for some fun stuff, but can't really see spending my rare disposable income on any of the games I see of late.

Maybe, might get TIME Stories or Rebellion, but with TS, it's a one-shot that I think will be played through once and never touched again (fuck that shit) and with Rebellion, it will likely never be played.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds