October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
23 Aug 2016 11:35 - 23 Aug 2016 11:39 #232656 by Cranberries

SuperflyTNT wrote: Going to get a used guitar amp, since my buddy who said he would give me his is very flaky. Probably have enough left for some fun stuff, but can't really see spending my rare disposable income on any of the games I see of late.

I have been eyeing this used silent travel guitar.

It's selling for $220 shipped, and new is $379. If I don't use it I can flip it for $300. It looks goofy, but the sound is good, and I can practice in my office at work because it's hard to get in any practice time at home with the family. I haven't really played for a while, but I think this would be invigorating. Or, I could just be dealing with stress by buying stuff I don't need.

Please talk me into or out of this.

Last edit: 23 Aug 2016 11:39 by Cranberries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2016 11:58 #232659 by SuperflyPete
I used to have an Alien bass (I'm more a Bass player than a lead/rhythm guy) which looked a lot like that.

That's pretty slick, brother. I like the idea of the stethoscope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Aug 2016 12:04 - 23 Aug 2016 12:19 #232660 by Cranberries

SuperflyTNT wrote: I used to have an Alien bass (I'm more a Bass player than a lead/rhythm guy) which looked a lot like that.

That's pretty slick, brother. I like the idea of the stethoscope.

I am a (fake) doctor, so it makes perfect sense.

If I sell some board games to finance this, my wife can't complain. Right? Right? I'm pulling the trigger. Also, it's my 50th birthday in six days. Trigger pulled.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2016 12:19 by Cranberries.

More
23 Aug 2016 12:28 #232662 by Michael Barnes
Oh Christ, there is that whole "well, what with it being my birthday and all" showboating...

Please don't make me want to buy a new guitar...or bass. I am thinking that Santa Claus is going to bring a full band setup for the kids this year- guitar, bass, drums, keys, mic...but I would likely wind up getting myself something to replace this ancient 1980s Strat...which leads into big bucks. I've always, always, always wanted an Explorer...I know Gibsons are supposed to be terrible these days, but look at this thing...

More
23 Aug 2016 13:15 #232665 by metalface13
My wife picked this up for me at a flea market in Ohio for $20. It needs a little love, some discs and some new posts, but it's from 1880 (at it's oldest, that's the patent date, not sure how long they were in production) and it sports a sweet "morphine is poison" sticker on the back.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, SebastianBludd, Msample, SuperflyPete, Gregarius

More
23 Aug 2016 14:08 #232668 by Gary Sax
I think you should buy it. If It were a boardgame I'd say no, it really would be no value beyond retail therapy. But if you play and practice this thing, I think it's a net benefit. Creating is a pretty therapeautic activity, even if you're not good, etc.

Now if it's a toy you'd just put somewhere and think about? No.

More
23 Aug 2016 15:05 #232675 by SuperflyPete
Barnes: I got a Fender Squier Tele for my bday. Mama probably spent 200$ on it. That said, I wanted a Epiphone Les Paul Specal II since I like the fretboard better. Both sound bad ass. Mine has two pickups and a splitter. Only bitch: NO WHAMMY BAR.

No need to drop a G on a guitar. The difference isn't that great, especially if you get new pickups. And you'll still save a lot.

More
23 Aug 2016 15:31 - 23 Aug 2016 15:41 #232680 by Cranberries

Gary Sax wrote: I think you should buy it. If It were a boardgame I'd say no, it really would be no value beyond retail therapy. But if you play and practice this thing, I think it's a net benefit. Creating is a pretty therapeautic activity, even if you're not good, etc.

Now if it's a toy you'd just put somewhere and think about? No.

If it assumes the toy role I will flip it on Ebay and put the money towards my 12-year-old's saxophone. I'm primarily getting it for therapeutic reasons, so that's a very good call.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2016 15:41 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, SuperflyPete

More
23 Aug 2016 15:50 #232682 by Hadik
Mansions of Madness 2e didn't really go over with the family but I am banking on Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters to be big! BIG I tell ya! Picked it up at Target and the missus has been oohing and aahing over the components. Playing it tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete, JEM

More
24 Aug 2016 11:25 #232723 by Unicron
@craniac:

Have you considered a cheaper alternative like one of the Vox Amplugs or a similar product. Then you can stash one of your guitars at the office without having to pickup something new with a limited use. I've seen quite a few of those headphone rigs for $50 or less.

More
24 Aug 2016 13:06 #232730 by Jarvis

Chaz wrote: Star Wars Rebellion for $60 shipped seemed like a reasonable deal, so I got that.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I went and got a copy for myself as well.

More
24 Aug 2016 13:14 - 25 Aug 2016 00:27 #232731 by Cranberries

Unicron wrote: @craniac:

Have you considered a cheaper alternative like one of the Vox Amplugs or a similar product. Then you can stash one of your guitars at the office without having to pickup something new with a limited use. I've seen quite a few of those headphone rigs for $50 or less.

This is my only guitar except for a $50 acoustic. I have an unnatural obsession with headless, small electric guitars. The neck is still a decent size, so unless I plan to go on stage (never) it should meet my old guy noodling around at lunch needs. I might even use it to put melodies into Garage Band.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2016 00:27 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron

More
24 Aug 2016 13:55 - 24 Aug 2016 14:00 #232735 by wkover
Short intro:

Another Pathfinder campaign complete: Wrath of the Righteous + all expansions. The blistering details: Eight months of play (Jan-Aug), a handful of near deaths, one actual character death (and one mythic revival), a half dozen repeated scenarios, and - to top it off - a grind-y but successfully completed Justifiable Deicide (thanks to a strong emphasis on healing).

With the oldest leaving for college in less than a week, the four-player Pathfinder sessions that have been an obsessive habit in our home for the past three years (at the kids' request!) are coming to an end. But yeah, what a blast. If we continue the Pathfinder death march and start a Mummy's Mask campaign, we'll undoubtedly create a four-character party in my absent son's honor. We'll even allow him to step in and rejoin the fun when he visits over winter break, assuming that he gives his old man a proper hug when he returns.

What I bought:

Apocrypha pre-order (missed the Kickstarter, darn) - a (scifi-horror?) Pathfinder Adventure game variant by the same designer(s) with memory fragments and character instability. Sounds interesting, and I might be able to get a subset of my regular gaming group to try a campaign. Family may also dig it. (Apparently, it can also be played as a pseudo-RPG?)

Legendary: Firefly - don't need this, but I'm old and have money, so no guilt here

Big Book of Madness - not sure I need another deck-building coop (already have Legendary Aliens and DC Crisis), but this sounds like a Harry Potter-type excursion that my wife will enjoy. Plus I tend to like IELLO games. They're shiny and colorful, and I'm very shallow.

Warhammer Adventure Card Game character expansions: Trollslayer and Witch - will see if the delve quest is finally winnable, with our 'make it easy' variants (1 randomly upgraded action +1 legendary gear to start)
Last edit: 24 Aug 2016 14:00 by wkover. Reason: acid flashbacks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Mr. White, Columbob, JEM, Varys

More
24 Aug 2016 15:12 #232741 by Gary Sax
^that's awesome shit wkover, thanks for telling us about the campaign.

More
24 Aug 2016 16:28 #232743 by Unicron
I understand. As a touring musician for ten years, the last thing my wife will let me get away with is another guitar. Garageband has been great for recording on the road and on lunch. I've also done something similar to what you're planning, when I would bring a ukulele in my car and record with an IK RigCast mic for my iPhone.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds