October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
15 Sep 2016 15:07 #234332 by DukeofChutney

Unicron wrote: Big week. The new expansion for Labyrinth, Labyrinth: The Awakening 2010- arrived in timely fashion after recently finishing a great book, Islam and Democracy After the Arab Spring. It's a vastly improved game, both for the narrative (change in governance as a potential intrinsic force) shift and for the improved play. The original felt to heavily dictated by dice whereas, a game like Twilight Struggle is more controlled with the placement of influence.

Also, received Hands in the Sea, which shows a lot of promise and The Lamps Are Going Out (WWI joint). I traded a terrible game for Won By the Sword with the upgrade kit. I'm okay trading a game that will never be played for a game that will probably never be played.

How much did Hands in the Sea cost and what comes in the box? Its retailing around £70 over here which isn't cheap. Im wondering whether its just a consequnce of a small print run/ks or the decline of our currency due to a political decision that some people made.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2016 15:31 #234335 by hotseatgames
I went on miniaturemarket and bought some Vallejo washes, and while I was at it, I picked up Captain Sonar. I'll probably have to throw a party just to get it played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
15 Sep 2016 15:36 - 17 Oct 2016 16:22 #234336 by Unicron

DukeofChutney wrote: How much did Hands in the Sea cost and what comes in the box? Its retailing around £70 over here which isn't cheap. Im wondering whether its just a consequnce of a small print run/ks or the decline of our currency due to a political decision that some people made.

It cost $63 USD with the Kickstarter stuff included, but I pre-ordered it directly from the site. It came with wood pieces (instead of cubes), a high quality mounted board and two very thick player boards with about 120 cards. The cards were somewhat flimsy, but I sleeved them only because it's often necessary with deck-building games. If you get it from the Knight Works Games site, it's closer to £60 with shipping without the expansion cards and fancier wooden pieces.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 16:22 by Unicron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DukeofChutney

More
15 Sep 2016 16:18 #234338 by DukeofChutney
once you've played drop a review or commentary.

More
15 Sep 2016 16:52 #234341 by jpat

Unicron wrote: Big week. The new expansion for Labyrinth, Labyrinth: The Awakening 2010- arrived in timely fashion after recently finishing a great book, Islam and Democracy After the Arab Spring. It's a vastly improved game, both for the narrative (change in governance as a potential intrinsic force) shift and for the improved play. The original felt to heavily dictated by dice whereas, a game like Twilight Struggle is more controlled with the placement of influence.

Encouraging. I had added the expansion a while back to my preorders even though I had strong reservations about the base game, particularly with regard to its swingy-ness and how it seemed easily possible to grind into vicious downward cycles. Of course, I seem always to be at the end of GMT's preorder fulfillment train, so I'm still waiting for this (and the bigger box) and Grand Prix.

More
15 Sep 2016 17:08 #234344 by Gary Sax
I should pop that expansion in my cart on another order. I liked the original quite a bit---I saw it as the world as foreign policy higher ups in DoD and foreign service saw it (preview: they were wrong). I thought it took more shit than it should have in regards to realism. Intentional or not I think it is a good reflection of the model upper DC officials had of the thing 10 years ago.

That said, there were about 1,000,000 interesting things they could have done to the model with regards to "good governance" opposition countries that would add MUCH needed subtlety and complications to the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
15 Sep 2016 17:28 #234346 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: I went on miniaturemarket and bought some Vallejo washes, and while I was at it, I picked up Captain Sonar. I'll probably have to throw a party just to get it played.

Let me know, and if Scythe Boy is there, remind him that Scythe is WACK
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron

More
16 Sep 2016 11:56 #234416 by Unicron

Gary Sax wrote: I should pop that expansion in my cart on another order. I liked the original quite a bit---I saw it as the world as foreign policy higher ups in DoD and foreign service saw it (preview: they were wrong).

Gary, definitely check it out. The design notes from Volko reflected a lot of his regrets over that initial design, and when I spoke with Trevor (who designed the expansion), it was refreshing that it wasn't just more cards of recent events, but a reflection on new mechanics that added subtlety and addressed the swingy aspects of the game. I think Arab Spring being a movement ignited by the self immolation of a street vendor in Tunisia runs counter to a game where governance is only improved when shepherded by Western-occupied regime change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Sep 2016 18:25 #234440 by san il defanso
A store in the DFW area has marked down all of their games 25%, so I went today to check it out. I almost bought Blood Bowl Team Manager and Sudden Death, but that was just the FOMO talking. Instead I walked out with Lost Patrol, which I imagine will be a solid hit with my boys. I also grabbed some sprue cutters, since these are actually the first minis I've ever assembled. The Space Marines were easy enough, but the Genestealers are being pretty pissy. Those might need to be replaced by nice models down the line, I dunno.

Looking forward to playing it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
16 Sep 2016 18:35 #234443 by barrowdown

san il defanso wrote: A store in the DFW area has marked down all of their games 25%, so I went today to check it out. I almost bought Blood Bowl Team Manager and Sudden Death, but that was just the FOMO talking. Instead I walked out with Lost Patrol, which I imagine will be a solid hit with my boys. I also grabbed some sprue cutters, since these are actually the first minis I've ever assembled. The Space Marines were easy enough, but the Genestealers are being pretty pissy. Those might need to be replaced by nice models down the line, I dunno.

Looking forward to playing it.

Aren't they the standard Genestealer sprue? I thought those went together fairly quick and easy.

The mold-lines, on the other hand, were terrible. GW is pretty great minimizing the lines, but the organic ridged look of Tyranids make it a pain (particularly on the older models, like Genestealers).

More
16 Sep 2016 18:45 #234445 by san il defanso
They are sprues from like ten years ago. The Space Hulk minis (my previous experience, even though I didn't assemble my copy) have little pegs that allow the arms to attach in places, etc. You can then glue those in to keep them there, but it's obvious where stuff goes. In this it's just flat surface to flat surface, or in the case of the Genestealers, little balls in sockets, kind of. The heads on those little bastards are especially irritating. It's like they aren't actually designed to be glued together.

Keep in mind that this is literally my first experience doing this, so that probably is a factor. I've only ever repaired minis in other games if something breaks off.

More
16 Sep 2016 18:50 #234446 by barrowdown

san il defanso wrote: They are sprues from like ten years ago. The Space Hulk minis (my previous experience, even though I didn't assemble my copy) have little pegs that allow the arms to attach in places, etc. You can then glue those in to keep them there, but it's obvious where stuff goes. In this it's just flat surface to flat surface, or in the case of the Genestealers, little balls in sockets, kind of. The heads on those little bastards are especially irritating. It's like they aren't actually designed to be glued together.

Keep in mind that this is literally my first experience doing this, so that probably is a factor. I've only ever repaired minis in other games if something breaks off.

That feature on the Space Hulk figures is kind of specific to that game. Almost all of their other models are like what is in Lost Patrol.

And oh yeah... I forgot about how the heads fit on. The mold line to mold line attachment is not an ideal join. If the sprue alignment was even slightly off, it takes a good bit of scraping to get them to match.

More
16 Sep 2016 18:51 #234447 by Michael Barnes
Make sure you are using the right glue - DO NOT use regular superglue. You want a glue like Testors plastic model glue that melts the surfaces together. And mind how you put on the arms. I thought they were pretty easy to get together and offered some good posability, but I guess if you've never put them together it could be a little tricky. If you are using the right glue, you won't have to hold them in place to dry or anything like that. It'll stick right away or with just a second or two of putting pressure on it.

Be careful with the side cutters...starting out, you will inevitably cut something off that wasn't supposed to be cut off. The good news is that usually you can glue whatever it was back on easily.

More
16 Sep 2016 18:57 #234449 by san il defanso

Michael Barnes wrote: Make sure you are using the right glue - DO NOT use regular superglue. You want a glue like Testors plastic model glue that melts the surfaces together. And mind how you put on the arms. I thought they were pretty easy to get together and offered some good posability, but I guess if you've never put them together it could be a little tricky. If you are using the right glue, you won't have to hold them in place to dry or anything like that. It'll stick right away or with just a second or two of putting pressure on it.

Be careful with the side cutters...starting out, you will inevitably cut something off that wasn't supposed to be cut off. The good news is that usually you can glue whatever it was back on easily.

I have been using krazy glue. I thought twice about it but this article eased my mind. I guess if stuff falls apart I'll figure a new solution.

I actually have some Testor's (the stuff in the red tube), and that crap has never worked for me. I've never had a single bond with it that hasn't eventually fallen apart. I don't know if there's something I'm doing wrong. Granted, the only GW game I've used with it has been Space Hulk, but even there it's been a headache. Sgt. Lorenzo's standard has been broken and reglued about eight times with that stuff, and it never ever holds. Lots of arms and legs have come loose as well, and they never hold either. Is there some secret way to apply it?

More
16 Sep 2016 19:08 #234450 by Michael Barnes
No no, get the Testors stuff that comes in the black trapezoid-like bottle. It works GREAT and I've had zero trouble with it. And it DOES NOT stick to your skin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds