October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2700 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
20 Sep 2016 18:28 #234636 by bendgar
Good point. I would imagine that Wil Wheaton's FoD Tabletop episode will be scheduled near Halloween as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2016 19:15 #234637 by Michael Barnes
I just got my copy from The War Store.

Here's the thing. Like I said before, there's no telling how many copies of FOD are at distributors or sitting on shelves out there, in warehouses and back rooms. This was a very popular game, and in a very well-regarded and presumably high volume reprint edition. The shortage of the game at online sellers over TWO DAYS is what has fueled speculation on this one.

It isn't rare, and just because it is out of print doesn't mean it's unavailable. Or that it won't be available even after February 1. I think now that the panic is subsiding, we'll see the stock on it almost normalize- at least at retailers that have reordered in quantity. I do agree that with Halloween and the Tabletop show that will likely zap stocks again. I would speculate that by Christmas - not next weekend- it will be scarce with lingering copies here and there.

Now, two years from now is a different story. This game had ALWAYS commanded $100+ between printings.

Heh...like $100 is a lot for a board game anymore...I remember when I wanted a copy of FoD 10 years ago that seemed astronomical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Erik Twice

More
20 Sep 2016 19:47 #234640 by stoic

Michael Barnes wrote: I just got my copy from The War Store.

Here's the thing. Like I said before, there's no telling how many copies of FOD are at distributors or sitting on shelves out there, in warehouses and back rooms. This was a very popular game, and in a very well-regarded and presumably high volume reprint edition. The shortage of the game at online sellers over TWO DAYS is what has fueled speculation on this one.

It isn't rare, and just because it is out of print doesn't mean it's unavailable. Or that it won't be available even after February 1. I think now that the panic is subsiding, we'll see the stock on it almost normalize- at least at retailers that have reordered in quantity. I do agree that with Halloween and the Tabletop show that will likely zap stocks again. I would speculate that by Christmas - not next weekend- it will be scarce with lingering copies here and there.

Now, two years from now is a different story. This game had ALWAYS commanded $100+ between printings.

Heh...like $100 is a lot for a board game anymore...I remember when I wanted a copy of FoD 10 years ago that seemed astronomical.

What's the estimated overall print-run for an FFG game like FoD? How many do they typically print?

More
28 Sep 2016 17:14 #235116 by Cranberries
I just asked my brother in the next city over to pick up a copy of Specter Ops at Barnes and Noble for $25.

You can read CHARLEST'S REVIEW HERE

And here is an image that should calm down all of you rabid FOD fans with its awesomeness:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, stoic, charlest, JEM, Unicron

More
28 Sep 2016 17:24 #235117 by stoic
That scifi board is truly spectacular!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
29 Sep 2016 08:53 #235146 by charlest
The board is embossed too which is a neat effect. Definitely a great game and I'm excited about the app that's supposed to be coming out soon so we won't need to track movement on paper.

More
29 Sep 2016 13:10 #235156 by xthexlo
Just purchased A Study in Emerald (2nd) and Reign of Cthulhu Pandemic. Wonder how long it will take me to actually play them...?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
29 Sep 2016 15:30 #235169 by stoic
I was tired of experiencing victory so I picked up a used copy of Dungeonquest Revised Edition. I look forward to death and more death.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Frohike, Colorcrayons, JEM

More
03 Oct 2016 07:52 #235355 by JEM
I ordered Terraforming Mars. Someone who doesn't often come to the meetup (usually only when he's bought a new game it seems) came with it on Saturday and people liked it. Mostly I got it for the solo game, but it looks like it will get some play. On the other end of the spectrum I've ordered the second set of Roll For It which will allow a couple more players (not sure I would do the full eight).

Also 8th summit is selling Run, Fight or Die with the co-op expansion for $25 including shipping so I've gone for that.

More
13 Oct 2016 15:35 #236100 by barrowdown
I purchased Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Pretty Pretty: Smash Up because they were on clearance at Barnes & Noble at 75%. With other discounts, I'll inevitably be able to flip them for more money in a few months.

I sold off some games over the past week and I am having a bit of a dilemma about what 40k stuff to buy. My FLGS is having an anniversary sale so everything is 20% off, which makes their GW prices roughly in line with most of the online discounters. I really want to pick up Gorechosen, but I will probably pass on Lost Patrol (I do not particularly care for its minis and the gameplay sounds meh). For my 40k league, five boxes of Nurglings would really increase my ability to compete by allowing me to take two new formations (one covering all of my units, and one covering all of the non-Daemon Princes).

They also have a copy of Imperial Knight: Renegade in-stock, which would give me two knights I could build as Renegades. This would bump me up to having to compete against other people's ability to field super-heavy stuff. ...but I probably am terrible at the game anyway so it might not matter and they would be so much fun to paint!

More
13 Oct 2016 18:35 #236122 by Michael Barnes
Imperial Knight is just SOOOOOO expensive...I REALLY want it, I absolutely love those models and would love to build/paint them...but damn, it is just so much money. Usually I grin and bear it with their prices because they are selling a premium product...but at $175 for two models and a rather rudimentary game (from what I hear) to play with them is a bit much.

But, there again, it is cheaper than buying the models separately.

Lost Patrol is REALLY fun. Totally dumb. But REALLY fun as long as you are playing it with the right mindset and with just a simple rules tweak to make it a teeny bit less fatal for the scouts.

More
13 Oct 2016 18:51 #236125 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: Imperial Knight is just SOOOOOO expensive...I REALLY want it, I absolutely love those models and would love to build/paint them...but damn, it is just so much money. Usually I grin and bear it with their prices because they are selling a premium product...but at $175 for two models and a rather rudimentary game (from what I hear) to play with them is a bit much.

But, there again, it is cheaper than buying the models separately.

Lost Patrol is REALLY fun. Totally dumb. But REALLY fun as long as you are playing it with the right mindset and with just a simple rules tweak to make it a teeny bit less fatal for the scouts.

But with the discount its only $156 here! So reasonable for two delicate plastic dolls.

Lost Patrol looks fun, but Gorechosen looks like more fun. I also like the models/own none of them, which is a plus (and have the two from AoS and the free one from White Dwarf).

More
13 Oct 2016 22:02 - 13 Oct 2016 22:19 #236134 by Colorcrayons
Bought Dungeon Saga and Dungeonquest from Fa:tties.
Then Gorec Hosen from Dan's along with Skarr, Bloodstoker, and slaughter priest with hackblade from fleabay for $75 grand total. I'd love to get valkia, but not until she's in plastic. So I'll settle for the spear dude to complete Khornes favored number of 8 models.

Gorec Hosen is more fun than it has any right to be. The rethemer in me wants to mess with it badly, as that would be a super easy weekend project, but I've just accepted the gw theme and learned to love it.

I am eyeballing the nnurgle putrid kings box really hard as a nurgle themed expansion for Gorec Hosen. The models are sexy, and highly mutable for that unique touch.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2016 22:19 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
15 Oct 2016 00:17 #236236 by Cranberries
My official Michael Barnes copy of Robinson Crusoe arrived:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, hotseatgames, Frohike, stoic

More
15 Oct 2016 00:29 #236238 by Frohike
Between the purchase of Mechs vs Minions and the upcoming decision between a graphics card and the KDM reprint... I'm buying NOTHING.

NOTHING...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds