October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
16 Dec 2016 19:06 - 16 Dec 2016 19:20 #240827 by Mr. White
went by a lgs on the way home to get a paint pot. they're going out of business.

I passed on 2016 bb and relic at half off, lost patrol for $24...but bought Bohnanza for $10.

ERP II?

Too soon?
Last edit: 16 Dec 2016 19:20 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2016 09:56 #240848 by Shellhead
Too soon for ERP II. We are at the dawning of the Age of Sigmar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, wadenels, sornars

More
20 Dec 2016 14:26 #241056 by Shellhead
Received my stripped Silver Tower from eBay yesterday. It arrived in a large, flat bubblepack-lined envelope that was laying on my porch, partially exposed to the elements. Fortunately, it was just cold and dry outside, so the envelope was unharmed. Inside were all the components that I expected, still individually shrink-wrapped. So I got all of Silver Tower excepts for the minis and the box for $1, plus $20 for shipping from Hawaii. Now I just need to scan a bunch of pictures and whip up a batch of wooden tokens. I have plenty of 1" and 2" wooden nickels on hand, but I think that I might want 1.25" or 1.5" tokens instead. The 2" tokens are too big for the boards, and the 1" are a bit small for the art that I intend to scan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
20 Dec 2016 15:05 #241057 by bfkiller
I received Cave Evil: Warcults in the mail yesterday. There's something strangely satisfying about the box being fastened with velcro. And that is the greatest cover to a rulebook that I've seen. I'm looking forward to poring through everything over the holiday break.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Frohike, stoic

More
20 Dec 2016 15:27 #241058 by hotseatgames

Shellhead wrote: Received my stripped Silver Tower from eBay yesterday. It arrived in a large, flat bubblepack-lined envelope that was laying on my porch, partially exposed to the elements. Fortunately, it was just cold and dry outside, so the envelope was unharmed. Inside were all the components that I expected, still individually shrink-wrapped. So I got all of Silver Tower excepts for the minis and the box for $1, plus $20 for shipping from Hawaii. Now I just need to scan a bunch of pictures and whip up a batch of wooden tokens. I have plenty of 1" and 2" wooden nickels on hand, but I think that I might want 1.25" or 1.5" tokens instead. The 2" tokens are too big for the boards, and the 1" are a bit small for the art that I intend to scan.

What's your source for the wooden nickels? I really want some wooden squares, say .75" x .75" x .125"

More
20 Dec 2016 15:30 #241059 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Received my stripped Silver Tower from eBay yesterday. It arrived in a large, flat bubblepack-lined envelope that was laying on my porch, partially exposed to the elements. Fortunately, it was just cold and dry outside, so the envelope was unharmed. Inside were all the components that I expected, still individually shrink-wrapped. So I got all of Silver Tower excepts for the minis and the box for $1, plus $20 for shipping from Hawaii. Now I just need to scan a bunch of pictures and whip up a batch of wooden tokens. I have plenty of 1" and 2" wooden nickels on hand, but I think that I might want 1.25" or 1.5" tokens instead. The 2" tokens are too big for the boards, and the 1" are a bit small for the art that I intend to scan.

What's your source for the wooden nickels? I really want some wooden squares, say .75" x .75" x .125"

Woodworks Ltd.
www.craftparts.com/geometric-shapes-rect...utout-c-252_253.html

In the past, I also looked at Cardinal Woods, CraftAmerica.com, and American Woodcrafters Supply, but I think they were slightly higher priced for the tokens that I wanted, at least at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
21 Dec 2016 13:25 #241106 by Gary Sax

Please take pictures when you finish if you can, this is tempting to do (and doable)!

More
21 Dec 2016 13:33 #241107 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote:

Please take pictures when you finish if you can, this is tempting to do (and doable)!

I should have my tokens finished within 10 days. I ordered 1.25" wooden nickels that should arrive by Saturday, so I can start on them this weekend. I thought about using pictures of painted minis, but for easier recognition, I think that I will mostly use the headshot pics from the hero cards. The familiars have ideal pictures in the rulebook. I may still go with pictures of painted minis for the rest of the monsters, especially the Gaunt Summoner and the magic minotaur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
21 Dec 2016 14:07 #241108 by Michael Barnes
I just want to say that I can not believe that GW mania has managed to hit Shellhead.

Next- Black Barney announces that he just picked up a Tyranid army.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

More
21 Dec 2016 14:26 #241109 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I just want to say that I can not believe that GW mania has managed to hit Shellhead.

Next- Black Barney announces that he just picked up a Tyranid army.

I bought Space Hulk 3rd edition several years ago, and even managed to partially paint all the figures. But I have to admit that Silver Tower really hooked me after one play. In your review, you identified Moorcock as one of the major influences on the game, and that got my attention because I'm a big fan of his eternal champion stories. After reading through the Silver Tower rules, I think you nailed it, and the specific Moorcock influences were the two teamups of eternal champions in the Elric series: Sailors on the Sea of Fate and The Vanishing Tower. Especially Sailors, where four eternal champions and 20 lesser heroes fought their way through a living dungeon made from the bodies of two vast demigods.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Columbob, Frohike, stoic

More
21 Dec 2016 15:58 #241116 by the_jake_1973
Purchased Escape From Colditz since it was on sale at Mini Market. I like the concept and design. I figure it will get some play from peeps at work.

More
22 Dec 2016 07:26 #241158 by JEM
I bought a bunch of Queen games in the fire sale on Amazon- Dark, Darker Darkest, Cable Car, Kansas Pacific and Escape Zombie City. I also got the MTG Arena Innistrad expansion for $9 of figures.

More
22 Dec 2016 10:26 #241170 by SuperflyPete
i wanted Dark Darker Darkest but realized I'd probably never play it.

Only game I want to get right now is the Star Wars Risk: Black version. Thinking I'l wait until the fire sales after the holiday.

More
22 Dec 2016 11:34 #241181 by Colorcrayons

SuperflyTNT wrote: Only game I want to get right now is the Star Wars Risk: Black version. Thinking I'l wait until the fire sales after the holiday.

This.

The male spawn loves stat wars. Its distinct lack of gungans makes this superior to the queens gambit.

More
22 Dec 2016 13:28 #241190 by DukeofChutney
You don't want darker darker darkest, you do want starwars risk.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds