October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
08 Mar 2018 10:38 - 10 Mar 2018 17:11 #265019 by Erik Twice

Sagrilarus wrote: I purchased the RPG Fiasco, based on Matt's excellent write-up on it in his new book. This is a GM-less RPG that is designed to play like a Coen Brothers movie.

That's a fantastic game, you won't regret playing it.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2018 17:11 by Erik Twice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2018 11:10 #265026 by Gary Sax

Mr. White wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: I bought Roll for the Galaxy to celebrate my tenure. I will now go home to my studio garage shack and go to bed.

Are you still in Texas?

I live in Flagstaff AZ and commute every week to west texas. Thus my relative ambivalence about what should be something that I was out till 5am this morning drinking about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, SuperflyPete

More
08 Mar 2018 11:14 #265028 by SuperflyPete

Erik Twice wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: I purchased the RPG Fiasco, based on Matt's excellent write-up on it in his new book. This is a GM-less RPG that is designed to play like a Coen Brothers movie.

That's a fantastic game, you won't playing it.

Oh God yes.

I have a recorded session and I ruined some paperwork watching it because I spit coffee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
10 Mar 2018 16:50 #265288 by hotseatgames
Out of nowhere, the legacy expansion rules are out for Techno Bowl. It's pay what you want. bombshell-games.com/2018/03/10/techno-bo...nsion-available-now/

I bought it and have barely skimmed it, but it looks cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, charlest

More
26 Mar 2018 12:26 #266372 by Shellhead
Somebody posted a picture of a game in progress of The Gothic Game, and it brought back fond memories of the time I played a five-player game with Wadenels of F:AT. And I do play boardgames from time to time with my old goth crowd, so I wrestled with temptation. Somebody at BGG was selling several copies, including one in Good condition for $120. That's a tough number for me. A little higher, and it would be an easy no. $20 or so bucks less, and it would be an auto-buy. So I waited a day, and then bought it anyway. Or at least placed my order. BGG automatically took off the For Sale listing, and now I need the seller to contact me with cost of shipping and how to pay him via Pay Pal.

More
27 Mar 2018 15:51 #266450 by Stonecutter
Ordered The Chosen Axes and the Scythe Invaders from Afar expansions from Miniature Market. Shadespire is my number one game right now and I'm going to be all in on it, eventually. Right now, I'm buying and assembling the factions one at a time.

Invaders from Afar has been on my radar since Scythe dropped. I love Scythe, I'll probably never play with 7 players but having the extra factions will be cool.

More
27 Mar 2018 18:10 #266456 by Michael Barnes
Chosen Axes are a lot fun, I really liked painting them too. The Skaven may be my favorite though. The Scythe expansion is quite good even if you don’t play with more. It’s mostly solo for me these days and it’s great to have the new stuff. The airships thing is good too.

I would buy a $100 copy of The Gothic Game in a heartbeat.

More
27 Mar 2018 18:44 #266459 by Erik Twice
I traded my slighty worn copies of Bang! and Condottiere for an unpunched copy of Gearworld: The Borderlands. Let's see if this Eon game is as underrated as I think it might be.

More
27 Mar 2018 19:12 #266462 by the_jake_1973
I see that War of Kings is 40 bones from the designer(?) since their warehouse space is gone.

Worth it?

More
28 Mar 2018 08:35 #266479 by Legomancer
In the Conn Con auction I sold:
13 Minutes
Power Grid: The Robots
Dice Town
Battle Merchants
Gheos
Alien Artifacts
Seafall

Bought:
Ethnos
Olympos (thanks, MSample!)
Innovation
51st State Arena Promo

Based on what I played I will probably pick up Bunny Kingdom and Sentient, though I'm waffling on the latter.

More
28 Mar 2018 09:19 #266483 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I would buy a $100 copy of The Gothic Game in a heartbeat.

What was that house rule that your group used with The Gothic Game? Was it something like your character takes damage if you roll the dice without using the dice cup?

More
02 Apr 2018 09:59 #266861 by charlest
I believe the designer of the Gothic game is looking to re-release it. Wonder how he'll clean it up.

More
02 Apr 2018 10:37 - 02 Apr 2018 10:37 #266866 by Shellhead

charlest wrote: I believe the designer of the Gothic game is looking to re-release it. Wonder how he'll clean it up.

Other than adding in more cards, I don't see how the Gothic Game could be improved without losing its quirky identity. I suppose it would be nice to change the scale of the hitpoints and damage so that it can be tracked with tokens instead of a scoresheet. And miniatures are probably inevitable.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 10:37 by Shellhead.

More
25 Apr 2018 10:35 #271289 by Sagrilarus
Had Photosynthesis show up at my house with a happy birthday note from Amazon yesterday (thank you very much whomever sent it if you're here). Three page rulebook, quite the chunky box. I'm looking forward to cracking it open at the May Getaway two weekends from now.

(All are invited to the May Getaway by the way. I've stopped advertising because no one has taken me up on it from here. Don't hesitate to reach out.)

Can anyone give me a quick review on this critter? It will be hitting the table next to Dune, TI3, Civ, other heavy hitters as a lighter alternative, I'd be interested to hear what people think.

More
25 Apr 2018 12:55 #271372 by Gregarius

Sagrilarus wrote: Had Photosynthesis show up at my house with a happy birthday note from Amazon yesterday (thank you very much whomever sent it if you're here). Three page rulebook, quite the chunky box. I'm looking forward to cracking it open at the May Getaway two weekends from now.

(All are invited to the May Getaway by the way. I've stopped advertising because no one has taken me up on it from here. Don't hesitate to reach out.)

Can anyone give me a quick review on this critter? It will be hitting the table next to Dune, TI3, Civ, other heavy hitters as a lighter alternative, I'd be interested to hear what people think.

I've only played it once, but I was surprised by how much of an abstract it is. There are opportunities to screw your neighbor, but they're usually far less effective than just improving your own position. It's also faster than you think it will be. I think it will make a good contrast to the meatier games you listed.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds