October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
01 Jan 2019 16:19 #288997 by Ah_Pook
They had Mystery Rummy 3 (Jekyll and Hyde) and Innovation used at the used book store, so I bought them for $12 combined. Pretty happy with that pickup, even though I definitely didn't need to buy more games after Christmas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2019 20:06 #289006 by Gary Sax
Sag's issue is my own issue with Small World (and History of the World, which is one I've played more).

That said, I'm not sure uba's "WRONG!" but rather has different preferences in war games.

More
01 Jan 2019 21:22 #289011 by SaMoKo
Small World and Vinci aren’t warhames lol. It’s meant to be aggressive as a means of driving the auction for future abilities. The only way to defend, in this sense, is timing when to decline and pushing the less threatening ability combos through the track as low hanging fruit. Where you decide to start expanding from can also influence your declined race’s fate.

But hey, if you don’t like a game no argument is gonna change your mind! Play what you enjoy :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Jan 2019 22:52 #289017 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: That said, I'm not sure uba's "WRONG!" but rather has different preferences in war games.

“WRONG” in a Dom DeLuise/Blazing Saddles sense.

More
02 Jan 2019 16:23 - 02 Jan 2019 18:36 #289100 by Vysetron
I found something really interesting from Iello of all publishers. Back, way back in the mists of 2013, they put out a game called Titanium Wars. TW is notable for a couple things: it's very pretty, it's name is even more stupid than it sounds, and it's basically Diplomacy: The Card Game.

Rules TL;DR, it's a game of conflict where you are encouraged to take aim freely in order to drag people down, but once points are scored (taking over planets) they can never be taken away. Games can be won in as few as two planets so every fight is huge. It's got a simultaneous market phase and then you just brawl with each other. I'm excited to get it played, because if this thing works I'm going to sing its praises from the rooftops and sell the rest of those cheapo copies for some random amazon seller.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2019 18:36 by Vysetron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, DukeofChutney

More
02 Jan 2019 18:13 #289114 by cdennett
Small World is fine. I still own it, though it rarely gets played. Brought it out once in 2018 to a bunch of new players and everyone had a good time. It can be a bit messy and unfair, and it can be prone to AP. as Uba mentioned. But a lot of good games are that way as well. Make your own opinion.

More
02 Jan 2019 19:56 #289128 by Ah_Pook
Man I'm being really tempted by Wingspan, the new card combo tableau building game from Stonemaier. It's beautiful and it looks fun but... I just bought Everdell and also a bunch of other games...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
02 Jan 2019 20:43 #289132 by Scott Rogers
I received Raiders of the North Seas and the Batman: Gotham City under Siege game for Christmas and bought the Tyrants of Lothal Star Wars Imperial Assault expansion (my secret santa also bought me all the minis).

More
03 Jan 2019 08:36 #289162 by Legomancer
Small World is a great game that was well loved until the Beard Brigade decided it didn't have enough interesting choices. It's absolutely fine.

More
06 Jan 2019 12:39 #289305 by southernman

repoman wrote: Got the two expansions for Western Legends today; "Fistful of Extras" and "The Good, The Bad, and The Handsome".

I say expansions but of course, for the most part, this is all stuff that should have been in the original game. The new items especially should not have been set aside for an expansion. However that is the world we live in nowadays. Keep stuff out of the original box to keep the initial price point down and then sell it at a premium later in an "expansion". I guess I can complain all I want but I bought it so who's to say they are wrong.

Anyway, Fistful has some good stuff in it. Six new characters along with minis. A minor variant to use when fighting bandits to give them a bit more color and individuality. Some Jokers to put in the poker deck for a bit more luck/randomness. All pretty cool.

"The Good" is a bit more suspect. Three new characters but no minis, a few new story cards that give out "legendary" items as a reward and a slim deck of said legendary items which are to be kept face down at the general store. Ok, that's alright I guess. The Legendary items though are visually almost identical to the normal items so that might be a problem during play/set up. We'll see. Also $25 for this expansion seems excessive. Again I complain but I did pay up. So call me a sucker.

I'm really thinking about getting this game as all the reports here are star. Does it play well with just the base game though (enough variety, replayability) or does it need the Fistful expansion to make it a worthwhile game ?

More
06 Jan 2019 14:18 #289309 by Vysetron
Finally bought a Mahjong set. Really looking forward to that.

Did some browsing for other fun cheap things because why not, found Abaddon and Hyperborea for $20 each. Figured why not? Worst case we loot Abaddon for Starfinder minis and...I dunno, something with Hyperborea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Nodens

More
06 Jan 2019 15:10 - 06 Jan 2019 15:11 #289310 by repoman

southernman wrote:

repoman wrote: Got the two expansions for Western Legends today; "Fistful of Extras" and "The Good, The Bad, and The Handsome".

I say expansions but of course, for the most part, this is all stuff that should have been in the original game. The new items especially should not have been set aside for an expansion. However that is the world we live in nowadays. Keep stuff out of the original box to keep the initial price point down and then sell it at a premium later in an "expansion". I guess I can complain all I want but I bought it so who's to say they are wrong.

Anyway, Fistful has some good stuff in it. Six new characters along with minis. A minor variant to use when fighting bandits to give them a bit more color and individuality. Some Jokers to put in the poker deck for a bit more luck/randomness. All pretty cool.

"The Good" is a bit more suspect. Three new characters but no minis, a few new story cards that give out "legendary" items as a reward and a slim deck of said legendary items which are to be kept face down at the general store. Ok, that's alright I guess. The Legendary items though are visually almost identical to the normal items so that might be a problem during play/set up. We'll see. Also $25 for this expansion seems excessive. Again I complain but I did pay up. So call me a sucker.

I'm really thinking about getting this game as all the reports here are star. Does it play well with just the base game though (enough variety, replayability) or does it need the Fistful expansion to make it a worthwhile game ?

The base game is perfectly good on it's own. The larger of the two expansions adds stuff I just know was in the actual game and taken out for cost purposes or to have material for an expansion on day one. The items especially. They "complete" the game but you won't miss them if you never see them.

My only actual caution is to be sure you will have enough players. The game is going to suffer with just 2 or 3 players. 4 is ok. 5 to 6 is better. They do have a "jam car", a cowboy under AI control, called The Man in Black to help with this lack at lower player counts but I have never used him so I don't know how well it works.

Video below to edify those who don't know what a Jam Car is:

Last edit: 06 Jan 2019 15:11 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
06 Jan 2019 17:11 #289311 by engineer Al

Vysetron wrote: Did some browsing for other fun cheap things because why not, found Abaddon and Hyperborea for $20 each. Figured why not? Worst case we loot Abaddon for Starfinder minis and...I dunno, something with Hyperborea.

Wow, Hyperborea for $20 seems like a steal to me!

I have never heard anything good about Abaddon. . .

More
06 Jan 2019 17:32 #289312 by Michael Barnes
Abaddon was a pretty fun game- just really badly developed. Some definite WTF choices in there.

Hyperborea for $20 is tempting- that was a really good game that virtually no one cares about. It was really pricey when it came out (back when $80 was considered pricey), but it’s a cool DOAM/bag builder thing.

I got lured into a copy of 3rd Edition Runebound for $20...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
06 Jan 2019 18:16 #289314 by hotseatgames
I was tempted by cheap Hyperborea during the winter sale but my group has enough to play as it is. I resisted.

Abaddon was neat in concept but I hated the dice activation mechanism. I house ruled it to make it more palatable but ended up selling it off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds