October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing?

More
04 Apr 2016 09:13 #225171 by Disgustipater

mads b. wrote: However, what's the lay down on joining bands/guilds/clans/whateverthey're called. Do you just pick one, try to find a local or whatever?

Pretty much. You can play friendly matches with clan-mates and well as request cards that people can donate to you. You get gold and XP for donating cards.

I'm still playing. I've resigned myself to just playing it when I need to, instead of wanting to play it all the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2016 12:55 #225194 by jeb
I spend a few minutes each day collecting cats with tiny x-shaped buttholes in NEKO ATSUME. Tubbs is the best one so far. Fat fucker ate all the frisky bits!

HEARTHSTONE of course. New set releases April 26, along with "Standard mode," limiting the card pool on the ladder. Should be interesting.

The DESTINY COMPANION app got a wicked workover. It's WAY better now, especially on iPad. It is tracking everything, and means I don't have to go to the Tower to swap stuff between my toons. I like seeing my Crucible stats climb, too. I am getting good at Control know that I am grinding away at Iron Banner.

Still building a boat, as I must, in YOU MUST BUILD A BOAT. Now in Ace Level 2, it's tough, but still playable. Some of the dailies are frigging impossible though, jeez.

More
03 May 2016 12:38 #226847 by Joebot
Anybody else pick up the new Pathfinder Card Game app? It's a really nice implementation of the card game, which I sold off a while back. I can pound out a solo game on the iPad in 20 minutes, which is terrific. It even manages to perfectly simulate the frustration of needing to beat an 8, and throwing FOUR d6's at it, and getting 2-2-2-1, which happened to be yesterday. FUCK YOU, PROBABILITY.

The physical game never really sold the idea of different geographical locations. They're just decks of cards. The app has a really nice graphical presentation that helps sell the story and theme through cut scenes and maps. It's a beautiful game.

I also LOVE the fact that the app handles all the math, all the bookkeeping, and all the fussy little interactions between cards. I can remember having to do the mental calculus of: "This bad guy is a 15. I can reveal this weapon to get me a d12. But I'm not proficient in weapons, so it's +4 to the difficulty. Plus, it's undead, and this is a piercing weapon, so that adds another +1. And this location subtracts 1 from each die roll ..." The app just does all that for you.

I've found a few glitchy bugs, and the Quest Mode flat-out doesn't work. The game gives you the option to grind for gold, which allows you to buy expansions adventures and new characters. They also have the "buy everything" option for $25, which is great. I plunked that $25 down without a second thought. But the grinding option is there, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, iguanaDitty, Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
06 May 2016 11:54 #227105 by iguanaDitty
Holy crap I am addicted to the new Pathfinder game app.

Basically, what JoeBot said. The only downside is the game really is buggy, and while I can work around most of them I hit a show-stopper that makes me unable to start the second adventure pack. But it's made by Obsidian so bugs were basically guaranteed. And they are clearly in it for the long haul which means I have confidence the bugs will be addressed, if slowly.

Soooo much better than the physical game.

More
06 May 2016 12:13 #227107 by Joebot

iguanaDitty wrote: Holy crap I am addicted to the new Pathfinder game app.

Basically, what JoeBot said. The only downside is the game really is buggy, and while I can work around most of them I hit a show-stopper that makes me unable to start the second adventure pack. But it's made by Obsidian so bugs were basically guaranteed. And they are clearly in it for the long haul which means I have confidence the bugs will be addressed, if slowly.

Soooo much better than the physical game.

I'm hopelessly addicted at this point. God help me, I banged out a game while sitting on the can last night.

There are indeed some bugs, although I haven't yet hit anything that I would call a "show-stopper." Most of the issues I've seen have been quirky UI things. Like, if you're supposed to "bury" a card, and you accidentally drag the card to the Discard stack instead, the app seems to get very confused. The "undo" button has occasionally screwed me over as well.

They made some very smart UI choices. For example, some cards have many different options for which attribute to check when trying to acquire the card. In the physical game, this required you scanning your character stats to figure out which of those attributes your character was best at, and would therefore give you the best odds of winning. The app just picks the best attribute for you. Done. You can override it if you want to, but I've never yet had reason to do so. This one little thing really streamlines the game. It pushes all the math to the side, and lets you focus on the fun decisions.

I also love that they show the dice. Board game apps that hide the dice rolls irritate me. The Warhammer Quest game does that, and it always bugged me.

More
06 May 2016 12:13 #227108 by Michael Barnes
INKS.

Attention pinball fans. GET THIS NOW. It is awesome.

100% skill with a few hundred (but very simple) tables to play, each one has a couple of colored targets. You hit them, they explode ink and as your ball rolls through it, it marks up the table. It looks great. The tables are really well done, some of them are very tough to get the top rewards on. No score. Just busting these ink targets.

I think it's the best IOS game I've played in a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
06 May 2016 22:40 #227175 by dysjunct
Risky Road. So stupid, so addictive.

More
09 May 2016 14:12 #227229 by Gregarius
I'm really enjoying the Pathfinder app as well, so thanks for clueing me in on that one. I liked the game when I played it, but I always felt like I was missing something, or forgetting a modifier, or not properly recharging/burying/banishing. As you all have said, the game handles all of that and lets me just have fun. Now I feel like I understand how it all works better, and I don't have to actually do it. In addition to the game being fun, I can now better appreciate the deck-building part, when I have to decide which ally, blessing, or weapon really is the best fit for what I need.

How many heroes do you guys usually play with? I've been running three, which works pretty well. I might start over again with three completely different characters just to get a feel for the different styles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
09 May 2016 23:03 - 09 May 2016 23:05 #227243 by iguanaDitty
When I played the physical version I stuck with 4 as I felt like I saw more locations and played with more characters that way, and I've done the same for the iOS version. I've been tempted by 3 though just to ease the time pressure a little; it's not terrible with 4 though. I can't imagine doing 5 or 6.

I've also started multiple parties, although one got eaten by a bug (which is now fixed, along with most of the really egregious ones AFAIK). It's fun playing the different characters for sure, they really do "feel different" in play.
Last edit: 09 May 2016 23:05 by iguanaDitty.

More
10 May 2016 02:08 #227247 by boothwah
Re: Pathfinder recommendations

Thank you.

Query : recommended logic to explain to wife why I needed to spend 25.00 on an app for a game that is currently taking up a fair amount of bookshelf space.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds