October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing?

More
30 Jun 2014 12:31 #181369 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I'm messing around with WoT too...it's pretty cool, but I feel like I'm in way over my head. So many different parts, so many different currencies...I have no idea what I'm doing. It's an interesting game, so many things that don't make a difference in other games are a HUGE deal here, like turning speed, the angle your tank is at on the terrain and so forth.

I decided to just go with Soviet tanks, not even messing with the others. I've had a couple of pretty exciting matches, pulling off some total bullshit manuevers...flanking around the opposition and blasting from behind, falling down a hill and taking a random potshot that just happened to blow up a Panzer right next to me, etc.

It's a lot like Steel Diver, actually...but more complex by far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2014 09:06 #181759 by iguanaDitty
I stopped only playing Hearthstone and started only playing Dream Quest.

It took me ~infinity deaths to win once and then maybe 10 more to win an additional two times. I think the biggest disservice the art does is it made me think it was a light fluffy game where actually it has a seriously steep learning curve, and it's a different curve for each class. And most classes have at least two types of decks they can build, sometimes more hybrid ones as well, which make the decisions on which cards to buy and which to skip even better.

Fantastic game, easily the best I've played in quite a while.

Also playing Botanicula with my wife after kid's bedtime. Super cute straightforward adventure game. The sound effects are someone's voice going "buzz" and "boing!" and are fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
08 Jul 2014 10:06 #181778 by luckyb0y
I had to do a double take here. Why would you deny your children such a glorious kids game as Botamicula?
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
08 Jul 2014 13:47 #181800 by iguanaDitty

luckyb0y wrote: I had to do a double take here. Why would you deny your children such a glorious kids game as Botamicula?

Yeah, we'll probably try it with her a bit after we finish. The beginning is super cute but she is super ooper sensitive and there's some funky shit with the spiders as the game goes on. Still, worth a shot.

More
01 Aug 2014 12:07 #183660 by metalface13
Blood Bowl seems pretty good so far.

More
01 Aug 2014 18:02 - 01 Aug 2014 18:16 #183715 by ThirstyMan
Alert! Alert! Guardians of the Galaxy is really good AND can be played offline and NO inapp purchases at all.

It's all in the game, man

Not what you would expect for a movie tie in for $5 well spent.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 18:16 by ThirstyMan.

More
01 Aug 2014 18:09 #183719 by black inferno
I'm on a roll in Samurai lately. Unstoppable. It suddenly clicked how strategically tying pieces is an undervalued tactic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: siberianhusky

More
05 Aug 2014 09:03 #183974 by lj1983
so i bought the Blood Bowl app. I've never played blood bowl. I'm really bad at it. there are definetely some annoyances with the app. most everything has hover text (or tap and hold text) which is great. except that the hovertext shows up underneath the icon instead of above...which is right where you hand is. blech.

More
05 Aug 2014 10:06 #183977 by Black Barney
If someone wants to try the new Civilization Revolution II app and tell us how it is, that would be awesome :)

More
05 Aug 2014 11:15 #183985 by metalface13

lj1983 wrote: so i bought the Blood Bowl app. I've never played blood bowl. I'm really bad at it. there are definetely some annoyances with the app. most everything has hover text (or tap and hold text) which is great. except that the hovertext shows up underneath the icon instead of above...which is right where you hand is. blech.

I haven't noticed the hover text at all actually, but I'm already familiar with Cyanide's version, so learning the system wasn't that hard for me. I highly recommended turning on the option that shows the opposition's tackle zones though.

More
05 Aug 2014 11:21 - 05 Aug 2014 11:23 #183986 by lj1983
well its espcially bad for me, as I'm not used to Blood Bowl digital or tabletop. so every little thing needs to be explained. like what the die faces mean, since you are choosing those regularity.

I may need to download the Living rulebook to learn how to play the app
Last edit: 05 Aug 2014 11:23 by lj1983.

More
05 Aug 2014 11:57 #183988 by iguanaDitty
inkle's latest, 80 days, is really nice if you like gamebook-y sort of things. Here the game is, go around the world in 80 days (based on the novel). Lots of good writing on the way though, and as far as I can tell some of the best parts are for areas of the world you would never go to if you were actually trying to accomplish the goal.

World is a steampunky version of our own, so if you hate steampunk, you might think twice.

More
05 Aug 2014 15:21 #184029 by metalface13

lj1983 wrote: well its espcially bad for me, as I'm not used to Blood Bowl digital or tabletop. so every little thing needs to be explained. like what the die faces mean, since you are choosing those regularity.

I may need to download the Living rulebook to learn how to play the app

Yes, you definitely need to read the rulebook to learn how to play. I skipped the tutorial so I'm not sure what all it covers, but rulebook is a must read.

More
08 Aug 2014 15:52 #184347 by Legomancer
There's a single player vs AI trick taking game just released called Cahoots! The designer gave me a promo code (it's only a buck anyhow) and it's not bad; I'd kind of like to make an analog version. I wrote about it here .

More
13 Aug 2014 14:10 #184790 by Joebot
Just read over on Pocket Tactics that the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is coming to iOS. That could be a great fit for the platform.

Anybody ever play the Naval Tactics app? Either this game is brutally hard, or I am just fucking terrible at it. Or possibly both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds