October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing?

More
07 Dec 2015 22:11 #216868 by dysjunct
Monument Valley. A fun, light puzzle Escher-esque puzzle game. Great art. Currently free on iOS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2015 00:25 #216873 by Disgustipater

dysjunct wrote: Monument Valley. A fun, light puzzle Escher-esque puzzle game. Great art. Currently free on iOS.

I really liked it, but I wish it was more difficult. I rarely ran into any issues figuring out the puzzles.

More
08 Dec 2015 07:49 #216884 by Black Barney
How's Bragging Camp going ?

More
08 Dec 2015 08:18 #216888 by JEM
I got a bunch of games on my phone (Brass, Steam, Le Havre Inland Port, etc) but I still just keep playing Galaxy Trucker.

More
08 Dec 2015 09:28 #216897 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: How's Bragging Camp going ?

Very well. I took the gold in the camp olympics, and was voted best looking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Dec 2015 09:53 #216899 by Black Barney
It's impossible to get people mad on this site. Everyone is just too cool and laid back. :(

Yeah, I remember when Monument Valley was getting some small buzz for GOTY on Reviews on the Run. Looked like a cute puzzle game. When I downloaded Pneuma (also free), it looks like it's on the same veins. I heard it was easy too, so it'll make me feel smrt. MENSA here I come!

More
08 Dec 2015 10:28 #216902 by the_jake_1973
Monument Valley was nice for a free game.
Freeblade has been my current favorite game.

More
11 Dec 2015 07:41 #217130 by JEM

SuperflyTNT wrote: Pacific Fleet, all the time.

I got Atlantic Fleet last night. It's a different experience. The enemy ship was outrunning my torpedoes (Which have their own movement turn unlike PF, and you have to lead your target). I had to surface and shell repeatedly to slow it down.

More
11 Jan 2016 13:33 #219627 by Black Barney
Jebby, let's hear about that Magic Puzzle Quest game. I'm debating on starting Gems of War and I hear it's pretty much the same game.

More
11 Jan 2016 13:47 #219632 by boothwah
My wife got my an ipad mini for xmas - I picked up Ascension and the first 3 xpacs - Nice little drafter. If anyone wants to platy some head to head let me know.

I cannot fathom how they track some of this stuff IRL. What do they do for soul gems? Are you tracking the honor pool with chits or a board?

More
11 Jan 2016 14:09 - 11 Jan 2016 14:10 #219642 by jeb

Black Barney wrote: Jebby, let's hear about that Magic Puzzle Quest game. I'm debating on starting Gems of War and I hear it's pretty much the same game.

It's PUZZLE QUEST--if you played any of those you know what's up gameplay-wise. Combination of RPGish leveling up, in-game missions on a Match-3 board. The first currency is runes, the "dust" of this scheme, comes in fast, gets spent fast, on leveling up (leveling up is not automatic--you spend runes on it, but a win in story mode is 250 - 400 (so far), and a loss is 50. A level is about 300 dust or so through the teens, it seems. You can also spend runes on a mini-booster of 3 cards. The second currency is crystals, which you need to complete in-game challenges for, but they are relatively easy. I didn't pay that much attention to what I was supposed to do to earn them and ended up with about 300 after a couple hours of playing. These can be spend on 5-card boosters, or fat packs, or even big boxes of boosters at better and better scales. 600 though, for the Big Box--my reward system won't allow me to wait that long. Fat packs are a good middle ground.

Cards come in 5 colors (or colorless), but the planeswalkers you have are color-bound. You start with only the green one, so only green and colorless cards can be in your deck. As you unlock cool cards, you should cough up the 10 crystals to unlock the planewalkers of other colors. I got the Red one after lucking into a Mythic dragon.

The game play is PUZZLE STRIKE--you have some cards "in hand" that you can order. As you make matches on the board, Mana flows over to them and they deploy at your option. I.e., if you fill up the Lightning Bolt, it won't fire until you give the OK, which is important because you need to kill the opponent's creatures and that's actually pretty tough. Only creatures with abilities (Defender or Berserker) will attack other creatures--everything else "goes through" and hits for HP. You can also match planar gems, which don't provide mana to your cards, but rather to your planeswalker's abilities that you can use once per turn if stocked. For example, the red one can spend 4 to shoot the opponent for 3, or can spend 6 to shoot a creature for 2.

There are Support cards that are bound to a gem on the board, which gains a counter. It will keep on supporting you and your creatures until it is matched enough to wipe out the count. Some spells and abilities also directly destroy support gems.

You can have three creatures "on the board," and turn over turn they deal damage to the opponent (or creatures as noted above). If you have a 2/1 Goblin Fighter down and you fill up another in your hand, it buffs the one that's out, making it a 4/2. If you make a fourth creature that's not on the board, you can opt to replace one that is. There is some subtleties with ordering creatures that comes up with Defending and so forth, but I haven't had to pay attention to that and I am not sure how it works.

The game feels a bit janky compared to Hearthstone. Everything is graphically flat for the most part, and there are some loading backgrounds that are odd in a way can't quite place. The deck building UI is atrocious, but you only put 10 cards in a deck, so you aren't in there a heckuva lot.

The Marvel-branded PUZZLE QUEST is a monster hit, and this is an IP-extension of that success you can try to tap into early. I give it a thumbs up if you like Match-3 for sure. Keep it F2P though, folks, there's enough game there for everyone.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 14:10 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Jan 2016 14:10 #219643 by Disgustipater
Super Hexagon has been pretty fun. It does require some extended play sessions to get better though. But seeing as each round lasts between 3 and 40 seconds, it's not a big deal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Jan 2016 10:42 - 12 Jan 2016 10:46 #219757 by MacDirk Diggler
I tried that MTG Puzzzle Quest for a few days. Got to where I had the black planeswalker going as well as the green starter. It is extremely FTP but ultimately I got bored with it. Match 3 and MTG combined is like having peanut butter in your chocolate. I guess I don't like peanut butter that much after all. If you play a few games and get a session rolling after half an hour you realize you just sitting there matching 3 for a half hour. Oh ya sure, every once in a while you will re-sort the order your cards get put into play, but if you enjoy this you would probably be as happy playing Candy Crush.

I will give a thumb up for Shadowrun Dragonfall directors cut. It's a Baldurs Gate style RPG set in the future. There are like eight or so classes and nearly as many races to choose from. I chose an elf that could also pilot two fighting drones. You can also play as computer hacker which is a necessary team member on many of the missions as you must override security system of whatever location your quest sends you. The combat was good not great, the plot was fun and had some nice twists, there is small amount of deductive problem solving to do which I enjoyed as well. For 2.99 in App Store now it's a great buy for 30-40 hrs of fun.

I see Bladurs Gate is available but as I researched reviews about it I came across one written by Matt DP by accident. He panned it saying the UI was too tricky on iPad and that it is better left a PC game. Anyone else try it?
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 10:46 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
12 Jan 2016 12:24 #219771 by jeb

Disgustipater wrote: Super Hexagon has been pretty fun. It does require some extended play sessions to get better though. But seeing as each round lasts between 3 and 40 seconds, it's not a big deal.

I made it to "square" and felt like a champion. There is a zone for this game. I feel like I am playing a random dot stereogram.

I disagree with Alistair with his Candy Crush vs MtGPQ comparison. Candy Crush is pretty famous for the "fuck you" point in the game, where you basically must cough up dough to proceed. I don't see that here as yet, especially as there's a PvP element (I think the AI plays the decks, but they are decks from players?) There's a lot more variety available day-to-day than just waiting for FB friend to whore some fruit to you so you can get through level 227.

More
12 Jan 2016 13:54 - 12 Jan 2016 13:59 #219785 by MacDirk Diggler
I never played candy crush truth be told. If there is a cash outlay that is integral to enjoyment I was unaware. But I still stand by the hypothesis that you are essentially not doing much more than matching three when playing mtg puzzle quest, which is kinda candy crushesque if you ask me.

I will amend my original statement to say " if you enjoy mtg puzzle strike, then you would probably be as happy playing Candy Crush.:...:.for free"

Better?
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 13:59 by MacDirk Diggler.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds