October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BANDS are you seeing?

More
02 Jun 2016 15:10 #228518 by Mr. White
Holy $%#!!

Yesterday I found out Italian Glam Rockers, Giuda, are touring the US and play Austin tomorrow night. We had a weekend family camping trip already scheduled months ago. Storms have hit and the roads to the state park are flooded. So, I went to buy my Giuda tickets, but the venue site said 'Sale Ended'. I was sweating it trying to decide if I should hang out in the rain Friday night trying to get in or drive to Houston on Saturday. I pinged the venue....tix not sold out! Error on their site!

I'm in!

Damn, I never imagined I'd catch these guys. Not sure why, but assumed they'd never get big enough to pay all the fees and deal with the loopholes we have now on foreign acts.

Super stoked!

Come on, Giuda, get the goal!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2016 15:49 #228520 by Black Barney
Is glam rock like The Cure?

More
02 Jun 2016 21:03 #228534 by Mr. White
Yes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Jun 2016 23:40 #228540 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic What BANDS are you seeing?

Mr. White wrote: Holy $%#!!

Yesterday I found out Italian Glam Rockers, Giuda, are touring the US and play Austin tomorrow night. We had a weekend family camping trip already scheduled months ago. Storms have hit and the roads to the state park are flooded. So, I went to buy my Giuda tickets, but the venue site said 'Sale Ended'. I was sweating it trying to decide if I should hang out in the rain Friday night trying to get in or drive to Houston on Saturday. I pinged the venue....tix not sold out! Error on their site!

I'm in!

Damn, I never imagined I'd catch these guys. Not sure why, but assumed they'd never get big enough to pay all the fees and deal with the loopholes we have now on foreign acts.

Super stoked!

Come on, Giuda, get the goal!!

They're playing Brooklyn with my buddy's doo wop band the 13th. It's gonna be a fun show.

More
02 Jun 2016 23:54 #228543 by hotseatgames
July 17 (my berfday) I'm seeing Tears for Fears in Windsor. Had to get a new passport, so it had better be good.

More
03 Jun 2016 23:01 #228585 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic What BANDS are you seeing?
Lots of music festivals this summer.
June 2 - WTMD first Thursday, Boy & Bear, Andy Bopp and Sunbathers
June 26 - DC101 Kerfuffle festival: blink-182, Silversun Pickups, Cold War Kids, Violent Femmes, Bear Hands, The Strumbellas, Joywave
July 16 - Vans Warp tour

More
04 Jun 2016 23:26 - 04 Jun 2016 23:28 #228603 by ThirstyMan

Black Barney wrote: Is glam rock like The Cure?

No.

Glam rock is Sweet, Wizzard and The Glitter Band. Think face makeup, outrageous costumes.

The Cure is Goth out and out.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2016 23:28 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, WadeMonnig

More
05 Jun 2016 00:14 #228604 by Michael Barnes
Ha, Andy just named three bands most Americans wouldn't even know. Especially since most Americans think glam rock is Poison and Motley Crue.

I don't know if I'd call the Cure out and out goth though. Their first record was post punk pop. They've done new wave. They've done shoe gazey dream pop. It's really their clientele so to speak that are the goth part of it.

Of course, what goth band is really goth anyway, outside of the bat cave sort of over the top stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
05 Jun 2016 00:56 #228607 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic What BANDS are you seeing?
I'm having fun now that concert season is coming up. I just saw the Nashville Symphony perform the hits of John Williams and I've got tickets to Duran Duran, Flight of the Conchords, and Flogging Molly in a few months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, WadeMonnig

More
05 Jun 2016 09:12 #228611 by Black Barney
Jarvis wins the thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis

More
05 Jun 2016 11:02 - 05 Jun 2016 11:08 #228612 by ThirstyMan
OK. I just watched those vids of Guida. That is NOT glam rock.

I would call that middle of the road rock.

This is Glam rock

and this

The definitive being Gary Glitter

Last edit: 05 Jun 2016 11:08 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
05 Jun 2016 21:14 - 05 Jun 2016 23:16 #228637 by Mr. White

ThirstyMan wrote: OK. I just watched those vids of Guida. That is NOT glam rock.

Maybe those weren't the best tracks to sample their glam influences from. Seems the world recognizes it...
www.thepreludepress.com/news/2015/2/4/bu...da-to-worldwide-deal

giuda.net/portfolio/biography/#.V1TLkL6YJIc

prnr.coyoteproductions.co.uk/music/viva-...oy-glam-revivalists/

newnoisemagazine.com/interview-giuda-sou...early-70s-glam-rock/

punkworldviews.com/giuda-italian-glam-ro...unces-us-tour-dates/

The following tracks sound fairly glam-like to me. I guess someone should tell these boys they're doing it wrong unless they're rocking Noddy Holder-style Willy Wonka hats. But then again, this is a new era, and this band obviously has more than just glam influences, so it couldn't be helped that there would be some sort of evolution of the genre. I dunno know of how many other modern acts are even out there making a solid game attempt at it, but I'm far from an expert here.

BTW, the show was amazing. I stood next to the singer watching one of the opening bands, and it took all I had to not ask to take a photo with. Others did, but I didn't want to come across as super-fan. Instead, I just made some supportive small talk.

In hindsight, I wish I took the photo...
Last edit: 05 Jun 2016 23:16 by Mr. White.

More
21 Jul 2018 17:20 #278065 by Hex Sinister
Was very excited to see My Bloody Valentine for the third time in Seattle. Sound was a little fucked and Shields was having some tech issues but it was pretty blissful. Excellent lights and psychedelic video backdrop. Every time I go see them there's a bigger audience, it's weird. I mean, these shows are a mix of pop and noise and noise has always been a small niche and less popular than ever, unfortunately. Some parts were super cosmic like you're falling into a sun. So Goood.

Friend has a free ticket to the Voids next week so I'll be seeing them as well. Oughtta be a good time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, engineer Al

More
21 Jul 2018 17:32 #278066 by Michael Barnes
Was it LOUD?

I saw them on on the Loveless tour. It was transcendentally LOUD.

Just bought tickets to see PiL...so excited. It’s the day before my birthday in October.

Debating whether it is appropriate to take my kids t see Ghost. They LOVE Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, WadeMonnig

More
21 Jul 2018 17:41 #278068 by WadeMonnig
I swear ghost comes through St. Louis approximately every 4 months. Haven't seen PIL in decades. I tend to make plans to see shows and hope the stars align to allow it to happen. On the radar currently is Shonen Knife. Dead Kennedys and TSOL was a few months back and crazy packed. Roger Clyne and the peacemakers were awesome as usual. Slayer farewell tour landed on a work night, still would have liked to see it but I've seen slayer, anthrax, and testament all a half dozen times, so I'll live.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds