October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOOK(s) are you reading?

More
26 Jul 2017 08:36 #251667 by Mr. White
From all the times I've seen it mentioned here over the years, I've decided to read Lucifer's Hammer. Slow going at first here. 600page book and I'm around 150...no apocalypse yet...
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2017 23:38 #256893 by ChristopherMD
Just finished the unabridged The Count of Monte Cristo. Fantastic book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, stoic

More
03 Nov 2017 00:01 #256894 by Cranberries

Mr. White wrote: From all the times I've seen it mentioned here over the years, I've decided to read Lucifer's Hammer. Slow going at first here. 600page book and I'm around 150...no apocalypse yet...

Ha ha I read this book twice: once in high school, and it was the coolest book ever, and then later as an adult, when I realized that the authors maybe have had a political agenda. It still has some great moments.

I just finished a book called Exit West which is basically a book about refugees from Syria or somewhere told with a dose of magical realism/science fiction. It's one of those books that people buy because they heard about it on NPR, and it's supposed to be good for you, perhaps. It was short listed for the Man Booker, and I felt like it did give me some insights into the hell of being a Syrian refugee, but unlike his other book, The Reluctant Fundamentalist, the main characters sort of felt Western. Maybe that was the point. It felt sloppy in places, and not as good as I wanted it to be.

I've also been reading David Sedaris. I basically viewed him as a one-trick-pony, and would read occasional essays by him when they cropped up here and there (the one on wearing a fitbit is hilarious and genius). But for some reason (perhaps to atone for not going to see him read in neighboring SLC) I read his book of journal entries, "Theft by Finding" and it added some real weight to everything else he has written. So I've worked through one of his books of essays (something about Corduroy) and now I'm reading the one with the skull on the front. Some of the essays are slight, but it seems that more often than not he is writing these really great sentences, and doing some things structurally that are fun to see, and pulls it off while being really funny.

After that I'll be reading the latest John LeCarre book, basically a retelling of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold through the perspective of someone from that book, which devastated me. I've been putting it off because it is going to be crushingly depressing, and I've been slowly trying to psyche myself up for it.

Here's a picture of a painting that reminds me of something that has nothing to do with this post.
Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2017 09:14 #256910 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic What BOOK(s) are you reading?

Mad Dog wrote: Just finished the unabridged The Count of Monte Cristo. Fantastic book.

The ultimate story of betrayal, class warfare, justice, and revenge.

More
03 Nov 2017 09:19 #256912 by Shellhead

Mr. White wrote: From all the times I've seen it mentioned here over the years, I've decided to read Lucifer's Hammer. Slow going at first here. 600page book and I'm around 150...no apocalypse yet...

It's been a long, long time since I read Lucifer's Hammer, but it was unforgettable and still occupies a favored spot on my nicest bookshelf.

More
06 Feb 2018 16:57 #263041 by Mr. White
Based on that great Scott Galloway video posted a few weeks back, I'm reading The Four, and feeling a bit depressed. Even if I find a way to get off Prime...will it make a difference or will I just put my family at a disadvantage financially by spending more on stuff than anyone else around me...

Will enough of us stand up to these giants?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, Nodens

More
06 Feb 2018 17:00 - 06 Feb 2018 17:37 #263042 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What BOOK(s) are you reading?
VACATIONLAND by John Hodgman had me crying with laughter last night. Also hits on some deep truths within my psyche. I am also reading Ralph's Ellison's INVISIBLE MAN.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 17:37 by jeb.

More
06 Feb 2018 17:13 #263047 by RobertB
I'm currently reading Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle series. They're okay, not great. I had read the first three books a few years ago, then checked the fourth one (The Skull Throne) out on a digital library loan system that's available at my library. Gene Wolfe it ain't, but it's okay junk food reading. The author has that George R.R. Martin habit of introducing new characters, four books into a five-book series.

More
06 Feb 2018 17:49 #263052 by Jackwraith
SPQR: A history of ancient Rome by Mary Beard.
She spends a lot of time dismissing a lot of legends that have grown up around the history by examining actual physical evidence.

Bring the Noise: The Jurgen Klopp story by Rapheal Honigstein
As an LFC fan, this is almost required reading (came out today!) but Klopp is also an interesting figure if you have any interest in Euro football, period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, stoic

More
06 Feb 2018 17:54 #263053 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic What BOOK(s) are you reading?
I'm reading Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It started out slow, confusing, and a little boring. Gradually, it's gained momentum and is transcending into something amazing.

My wife and I also recently joined a literary circle which is reading Cervantes's Don Quixote over the next 12 months. We started it with a lecture by a Professor of English and Spanish literature who studied Cervantes in his home town in Spain. Her excitement and insight into Cervantes was inspirational and motivational.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jackwraith, Da Bid Dabid

More
06 Feb 2018 17:59 #263054 by RobertB
Jackwraith wrote:

SPQR: A history of ancient Rome by Mary Beard.
She spends a lot of time dismissing a lot of legends that have grown up around the history by examining actual physical evidence.

It's the feel-good Roman Republic (and early Empire) book of the year!

There's lots of good stuff in there. I seem to recall describing the use of Stupid Spectroscopy Tricks to determine how much coinage was in circulation in any given year. You know that and you get a handle on Ancient Roman Econometrics.

More
06 Feb 2018 18:10 - 06 Feb 2018 18:13 #263055 by Shellhead
I am currently reading We Are Not Good People, by Jeff Somers. Although it is intended as the first book in a series, it stands well enough on its own that I don't think it even needs a sequel. It is a wild tale of mages in our modern world, keeping their magic under the radar of normal folks, until now. At multiple points in the story, the author boldly flips the table, defying reader expectations. Fans of White Wolf's Mage rpg should absolutely read this book, and any other fantasy fan will probably also enjoy it. The pace is brisk, the writing is crisp, and there are some really neat ideas.

EDIT: one more point of comparison. This one book blows away the entire Day Watch/Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 18:13 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, stoic

More
06 Feb 2018 21:25 #263075 by Cranberries
I'm reading Junot Diaz' "The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. It started out pretty engagingly, but now it's in flashback mode and I am losing interest after picking it up after a month break. If I leave my laptop at work I read a lot more.

More
06 Feb 2018 21:30 #263076 by Shellhead

cranberries wrote: I'm reading Junot Diaz' "The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. It started out pretty engagingly, but now it's in flashback mode and I am losing interest after picking it up after a month break. If I leave my laptop at work I read a lot more.

Lately, I've been thinking that modern authors rely too heavily on flashbacks. A little goes a long way, and too many flashbacks can ruin the forward momentum of a story.

More
07 Feb 2018 09:03 #263085 by lj1983
"Into the Storm" by Taylor Anderson, first in his "destroyermen" series. its about a WWI era destroyer that is on the run from the Japanese in WWII, goes through a storm and ends up in an alternate reality earth. Ticks a couple boxes for me, with the military angle, tech/time travel ish stuff, some alien-style encounters. Fairly light, but its been a good read so far with likeable characters and good action sequences. I'm a big fan of things like 1632 and Dies the Fire, and this is fairly close to that theme and styles of righting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.679 seconds