October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What ROLE-PLAYING have you been doing?

More
25 Feb 2016 20:15 #223322 by dysjunct

metalface13 wrote: What about the Mouse Guard rpg? Anybody played that with kids?

Mouse Guard is great but WAY too crunchy for kids. There's a ton of moving parts in the system and it takes time to get good at.

The setting is great though, so if you adapt it for a Fudge hack or something it would be great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2016 21:43 #223328 by Jarvis
I haven't played too many RPGs, but I'm amazed by the 7th Sea Kickstarter that is going on. I tried it once with some friends that live the system and it was a blast. And they are severely underpricing some of it too. $40 for PDFs of all of 1st edition and what they do for 2nd. $60 with a 2nd printed core book.

More
26 Feb 2016 11:33 #223364 by quozl
Kids is pretty vague. How old are these kids? What do they like? What are they good at?

More
15 Mar 2016 06:37 #224359 by SuperFlySwatter
anyone seen this?
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169426/roll-player

I only noticed it because I met the guy who made it when I was in Madison on a work course 5 or 6 years back, they had quite a few gaming groups there. When I think back to the times I played different RPGs I always remember how much people enjoyed the rolling a character part was, often much more fun than actually playing the game so I guess its no surprise that someone finally made a game out of that part of the game.

More
15 Mar 2016 14:53 #224391 by metalface13

SuperFlySwatter wrote: anyone seen this?

I only noticed it because I met the guy who made it when I was in Madison on a work course 5 or 6 years back, they had quite a few gaming groups there. When I think back to the times I played different RPGs I always remember how much people enjoyed the rolling a character part was, often much more fun than actually playing the game so I guess its no surprise that someone finally made a game out of that part of the game.

I agree character creation is my favorite part of RPGs, but that ... just doesn't look fun.

More
17 Mar 2016 09:56 #224519 by dysjunct

SuperFlySwatter wrote: anyone seen this?

That looks pretty miserable to me. Making characters was always a fun tax that had to be paid before the real fun to begin. And it's like the eurogame of RPGs: the non-interactive optimization exercise.

If making characters is the most enjoyable part of an RPG for someone, then they either need to play a different RPG, play with different people, or consider not playing RPGs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
17 Mar 2016 13:37 #224540 by boothwah
Guys - I got a many thousand dollar idea - I've noticed that a lot of the fat slobs down at the game store spend oodles of money on paints and minis - How about a game that simulates painting and assembling a miniature army for a wargame - I wonder what I should set my kickstarter goal at.

More
17 Mar 2016 13:42 #224541 by Columbob
I think you're on to something. You could have cards with illustrations of the different steps to painting minis from primer to final, showing progression in the game, with different victory point values for different stages. YES!

More
17 Mar 2016 18:09 - 17 Mar 2016 18:13 #224553 by SuperFlySwatter
yeah, yeah, obviously I get that theres a lot more cred in the games *you* play, we can't all be Dan Bilzerian and spend our time co-operatively storytelling about our exploits as halfling thieves in the magical realm of fuckwad, but have some pity for those who never got into all that, perhaps only experienced RPGS as part of a school club where the time would always run out before much fun happened and the character rolling was the only thing that actually was guaranteed to be achieved. Then imagine that someone basically just made a dicey filler euro but just used that as a kind of "theme/setting" to tie it together, but I don't think they envisage replacing an RPG, or even tying it to the front of an RPG. Its just a dice based euro filler based around the concept of rolling up a character in an RPG. You know, for those of us with less cred than you juggaloe dudes in your shiny shorts and your cthuhlu dice and plastic miniatures of monsters

Unfortunately I HAVE experienced rolling characters being more fun than the game, at said school club. That was my own input to the thread, it has nothing to do with the game or the design, its not being marketed as a tie in to an RPG or a replacement. I guess I'm not as cool as a REAL RPG player. Which is weird, because I am DEFINITELY way cooler than you fucking muppets.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2016 18:13 by SuperFlySwatter.

More
17 Mar 2016 19:56 #224559 by boothwah

SuperFlySwatter wrote: yeah, yeah, obviously I get that theres a lot more cred in the games *you* play, we can't all be Dan Bilzerian and spend our time co-operatively storytelling about our exploits as halfling thieves in the magical realm of fuckwad, but have some pity for those who never got into all that, perhaps only experienced RPGS as part of a school club where the time would always run out before much fun happened and the character rolling was the only thing that actually was guaranteed to be achieved. Then imagine that someone basically just made a dicey filler euro but just used that as a kind of "theme/setting" to tie it together, but I don't think they envisage replacing an RPG, or even tying it to the front of an RPG. Its just a dice based euro filler based around the concept of rolling up a character in an RPG. You know, for those of us with less cred than you juggaloe dudes in your shiny shorts and your cthuhlu dice and plastic miniatures of monsters

Unfortunately I HAVE experienced rolling characters being more fun than the game, at said school club. That was my own input to the thread, it has nothing to do with the game or the design, its not being marketed as a tie in to an RPG or a replacement. I guess I'm not as cool as a REAL RPG player. Which is weird, because I am DEFINITELY way cooler than you fucking muppets.

/Was jus' funnin' yo
//I am a muppet though - Was one of the back up singers for maNamaNA
///I PLAYED my D & D red box Bargle adventure with so many friends and NEVER got a character past level 2. CAPITALIZATION.

More
17 Mar 2016 22:35 #224564 by dysjunct
I've had more fun setting up Axis & Allies than playing the actual game -- my siblings and I have a family joke that A&A is two equally fun games, the setup game and the actual game -- so I do get it to an extent. The promise and possibility of grand conflict and such. It scratches the same itch as trying to design the ultimate Car Wars vehicle or Blood Bowl team. Which is certainly an orthodox Ameritrash experience.

But, generally, if getting ready to play is as fun as actually playing, then that is a pretty telling problem with either the game or how I'm approaching it. I'm not one to pooh-pooh your fun, so do what you like, but in my old age, it's not my thing. But, if you've never had the opportunity to actually play an RPG, then don't ask for pity, either do or do not, there is no try. This is the Internet age for dog's sake, any hobby you want no matter how nerdy, is a mouse click away.

It is pretty great that playing RPGs is "cool" and possesses "cred." If time travel is ever invented, don't ever let my teenage self know that three decades later the hobby will achieve this. I was insufferable enough back then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, wadenels

More
20 Mar 2016 00:19 #224604 by Jason Lutes
Took a break from our Apocalypse World campaign to run some newbies through the old Judges' Guild adventure Caverns of Thracia the other night, using DCC RPG. Introducing new players to any kind of RPG is always fun, but there's something special about leading them gently into the brutality of old-school D&D. It's not fantasy adventure, it's survival horror.

I gave them plenty of warning, so they were prepared for the worst, and sure enough we had a TPK 5 hours in at the hands of a bunch of gnolls. They were all great sports, and said they would play again, so mission accomplished. MVP was the wizard's demonic tarantula familiar.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DukeofChutney

More
12 Apr 2016 17:03 #225768 by Tim Champlin
My wife and I finished the Mines of Phandelver adventure in the D&D 5th starter set yesterday. It was a pretty big deal since it's the first time we've both completely finished a full rpg adventure. I DMed and my wife played the characters. I'm glad I had the experience to DM but I learned that I much prefer to be a player and enjoy the feeling of mystery and having no idea of what will happen. We are going to switch roles and see how it works out. We got the Hoard of the Dragon Queen book and will give that adventure a shot. I've mentioned this before but I've really fallen for 5th edition and look forward to spending the next long while adventuring in this world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, repoman

More
12 Apr 2016 17:07 - 12 Apr 2016 17:07 #225769 by Gary Sax
You know, I've thought of playing an RPG with my wife, she was kind of interested. Was the 2 player aspect fun? On the surface it's something she/I would enjoy but I've only ever RPGed (way back, high school) with multiple people.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2016 17:07 by Gary Sax.

More
12 Apr 2016 17:34 #225772 by Tim Champlin

Gary Sax wrote: You know, I've thought of playing an RPG with my wife, she was kind of interested. Was the 2 player aspect fun? On the surface it's something she/I would enjoy but I've only ever RPGed (way back, high school) with multiple people.

I'd say it was a fun and good experience. The 5E rules are pretty intuitive and straight forward. We had little rpg experience before this and when we had played in the past we were dependent on other friends for teaching us rules and dming. This was the first time we ever did role-playing by ourselves and we caught on well. The starter set is a great price for everything you would need and acts as a good sample to see if it's something you would want to do more of. The great thing about playing with my wife vs. doing it with a group of people is that we had the freedom to play for a couple of hours a few times a week after the baby went to bed. Let me know if you guys decide to take the plunge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.617 seconds