October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
21 Nov 2017 09:32 #257963 by Legomancer
I got tired of Destiny 2 and although I'd been enjoying Doom I didn't want an FPS, so I am now replaying the newest Ratchet and Clank. I love that series and hope there are more coming. Are there other good PS4 games like it? It's a straight up Metroidvania platformer, but without all the bullshit that indie games love to throw in. Clean design, fun to play, doesn't think I need to be belted in the teeth to have a good time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2017 11:03 #257976 by Black Barney
I burned out on Destiny 2 as well. I moved onto Prominence Poker, not bad so far

More
21 Nov 2017 11:12 - 21 Nov 2017 11:16 #257978 by SuperflyPete
Atlantic Fleet IOS: it’s like crack for people who like naval battles and that old “scorched earth” game. Fantastic game.

TRINE 2: Meh. Pretty game but all kinds of puzzles that extend the game length without really making me have more fun.

Giana Sisters: A sort of portmanteau of Super Mario Brothers and Link to the Past. Really fun platformer with beautiful graphics.

Forza Motorsport (x): Physics are great and I love the rewind feature when your opponents pit move you on some bullshit.

Trackmania Turbo: Fun little racing game that reminds me of San Francisco Rush but on rails.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 11:16 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
30 Nov 2017 16:00 #258423 by the_jake_1973
My wife loves....LOVES....her some Skyrim. She had been watching reviews and videos of Skyrim on the PS4 VR and was a little enamored.

We went all in and got a PS4 Pro, the Skyrim gear, and Farpoint w/gun. This is an amazing setup. It has really made Skyrim a new game again. And Farpoint gets pretty exciting.....but I hate space spiders jumping at my face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
30 Nov 2017 21:28 #258447 by Sevej
Further into the Witcher 3, and the flaws are just becoming more apparent. I think in general game community has been more forgiving to this game due to the publisher's good code of conduct.

First, I finally decided that "cut scenes" are not gameplay. They are boring as hell, and in the Witcher 3 this is exacerbated by long sequences of dialogue without any choices (even fake ones like Mass Effect's). That the story is good is highly questionable. Yes, they have excellent delivery, but the plot, etc... the quest to find Ciri is just and excuse to meet important NPCs andsolve their issues. The strongest aspect of the narrative is actually the ambiance and use of european folk lore.

Second, I finally feel what Barnes said about "open world garbage". The same sword and enemies can have different levels. Dissonance between main story and nature of the game (I have to find Ciri, and check every message boards on the whole realm!). At one point I entered the game's expansion appropriate level, and a whole bunch more message boards appeared. But the worst offender is how rare enemies are at an appropriate challenge level. This causes difficulty spikes or boring fights, but... really its worst sin is how un-thematically it is. I'm a Witcher, akin to a medieval Space Marine. Genetically modified to slay monsters. But a bunch of dumb bandits can kill me in two hits, and I have to chip their health, just because they're 10 levels higher than I am. Further emphasize that playing on the most difficult setting is bullcrap.

More
30 Nov 2017 22:21 #258449 by SebastianBludd
A couple weeks ago I got the PS4 moved to a setup in the basement so we can play it more often and the boys and I have been playing Transformers: Devastation. I love the cel shaded graphics and the dodge-based beat 'em up combat is satisfying once you get the hang of it (the vehicle attacks are just the icing on the cake but are also really fun).

Unfortunately, the whole thing is threatened to be derailed by a baroque and over-designed weapon crafting system that never should have been implemented. I don't want to figure out how best to optimize my weapons for each character, nor do I want to scroll through a long list of weapons I've collected to see what I can combine into something better. Just give me one better weapon (melee, ranged or both) to find for each character every once in a while and be done with it. Or give me one weapon that I can slap upgrades on or off, but enough with the weapon collecting nonsense.

Another nitpick is that I wish there was a greater variety of named enemies - I really didn't need to fight Blitzwing twice while only fighting Starscream, Shockwave and Soundwave once each - but my inner 8 year-old appreciated the fact that the game gives you a legion of nameless generic Decepticons that you get to straight up destroy.

Despite our quibbles we really liked it and were disappointed that a sequel isn't forthcoming, especially since they keep churning out garbage Transformer movie tie-in games in lieu of ones based on the G1 era. I read that Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is good so we may check it out once we get further through our backlog of other games.

More
01 Dec 2017 14:12 #258488 by Michael Barnes
Fall of Cybertron is terrible. You have just played the best Transforers game ever in Devastation. That is a GREAT game, but it's Platinum so it almost has to be (with a few exceptions). But you are right on the money about the weapons system. WTF is all that. IT absolutely did not need any kind of fucking crafting. It is just an old fashioned beat 'em up. My kids play this all the time.

I've played the first few hours of Wolfenstein 2 and here is the verdict. It does not beat DOOM. Even though you start out IN A WHEELCHAIR rolling around and blasting the shit out of Nazis. So far it's really good- great even- but I'm also not as immediately taken by it as I was with The New Order or The Old Blood. There was a sequence early on that I thought was EXTREMELY off-putting and unnecessary- it may have been one of the most brutal scenes of violence I've ever seen in a video game. Including all of the tongue-pulling, eye-gouging, and skull-crushing in DOOM. I think the idea was to really sell the audience on the main villain, but I was kind of OK with "cartoonishly sinister Nazi lady" being enough to fire me up.

I don't know though, I play it and I just want to go back do an arcade level or trial in DOOM.

We played A LOT of Nidhogg over the Thanksgiving holiday...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
01 Dec 2017 16:12 - 01 Dec 2017 16:12 #258500 by Gary Sax
I've heard that game goes places and largely actually earns its twists and violence. I want to play Wolf 2. But then I'm more into video game story than you are.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 16:12 by Gary Sax.

More
01 Dec 2017 23:16 #258522 by dysjunct
Finished Monument Valley 2 on iOS. Like the first, it’s a little short and a little easy. Also like the first, it’s so beautiful that I don’t care.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
01 Dec 2017 23:49 #258526 by hotseatgames
Still playing quite a bit of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. It's rare for a game to sink its hooks into me in this way. I hope to be able to try some modding for it one day.

Spent some time with the mobile Animal Crossing Pocket Camp. While it looks and sounds like Animal Crossing, this is NOT the Animal Crossing you know and love. But if it funds development for a proper game on Switch, I suppose it will have done its job.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds