October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
10 Mar 2018 14:17 #265278 by Colorcrayons
Finally able to find time and take a break to play Echo on PS4.

If a game is weird, I am all in. I adore games like Journey and such. They are why I play videogames.
In short, this game is an FPS sneak game where you fight against yourself. Literally.

Visually, Echo is pretty grand. Taking place inside not only a palatial setting but the palace itself is sentient, the opulence that surrounds you while you fight yourself is striking. It's even better during blackouts, as the contrast and claustrophobia intensifies.

The game learns how you play and uses it against you. If you play as an ultra bad assed ninja, then they are going to throw dozens of that same things at you, so you have to balance out how well you play by not playing too well.
When the lights go out, then that is your period of respite as you can pull out all the punches without the palace observing you and using that against you.
This gives the game a delicious sense of balance and can grant frustration side by side to admiration toward the design.

The plot is a bit minimalistic, but I think it works in its favor. There is some decent dialogue that goes on.

Great game, very underrated. I think $25 is a bit pricey (this game lasts about as long as Journey or Abzu), but since it is so underrated I bet 50% off sales wont be too long to appear for this game that only a few months old. A compulsory buy if you enjoy the quirkier games available nowadays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2018 16:04 #266106 by Brewmiester
Sorry a little late to the game Gary.

I've been playing a fair bit of Vermintide 2 on the pc. mbrewington, part of the proud Steaming F:ATties!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Mar 2018 14:28 #266445 by lj1983
So I signed up for a couple months of Xbox Game pass while it was $5/mo, which is a helluva deal. and the first of Microsoft's First party games to be released on it was Sea of Thieves.

Well....it feels like there was some politicking going on here. Something like MS had to release something at a decent time, after delaying Crackdown and cancelling Scalebound and the new Fable. Because it's not a finished game. It has a great engine and it has moments of being really fun, that are nearly all player driven. But unless there's something I'm completely missing, there are only 3 mission types, that are mostly variations on a theme. Tons of islands to visit....with nothing to do on them. Lots of design and ideas on these islands, but fairly empty. Great sailing mechanics and when you are cooperating with a good crew, things just click and you get sucked into the game.

I've enjoyed my time with Sea of Thieves and will play when friends request, but it definitely is not a game that really captured my attention.

Still, Gamepass has been worthwhile, and continues to be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Mar 2018 15:28 #266449 by the_jake_1973
My friends and I have been enjoying SoT, but it does need more content. The experiences are all player generated. It clearly is not designed to be a solo game, although the solo sailing aspects of trying to get your loot back to port before a rival crew guns you down can be exciting. Being able to outmaneuver a galleon in your sloop and lead them on a merry chase seems to mimic what may have historically happened. Lateral progression is a polarizing design choice, but it ultimately means that newer players are not at an equipment disadvantage, just a skill one.

The game can be fun with a group of friends as long as you are comfortable making 'your own fun'. That is not necessarily what someone will buy a 60 dollar game to do though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
27 Mar 2018 18:09 #266455 by Black Barney
ack, that game has me written all over it (Black Barney is a pirate after all), but I want to be playing it mostly alone i think. And everything I've heard is that it's only good with friends.

Early footage of the game had me hoping it was a mix of Wind Waker and Sid Meier's Pirates but it doesn't look like it's anything close to either. I would have been okay with more Assassin's Creed Black Flag sailing stuff too.

oh well.. one day...one day...

More
27 Mar 2018 19:09 #266461 by the_jake_1973
Not nearly enough single person content. I have played a fair number of hours alone and it is mostly relaxing while doing the fetch quests. Learning the sailing alone is critical to being fearsome as part of a crew. The gunnery in the game is much harder than Black Flag.

I do wish it was more like Pirates! Gold. The framework is there. After 4 years in dev, you would have thouht more was done. It makes you think the narrative of emergent gameplay that is driven by the players was invented to cover the lack of content.

If you do get the game, on sale preferably, hit me and my friends up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
27 Mar 2018 19:26 #266463 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote: (Black Barney is a butt pirate after all)

Ftfy?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Mar 2018 23:24 #266469 by SuperflyPete
I’m playing the Deus Ex series, back to front.

Currently in Mankind Divided.

More
28 Mar 2018 10:46 #266490 by RobertB
I've been playing Warframe lately. Plusses - it's F2P, and there's a ton of shit to mess with. Minuses - it's F2P, and there's a ton of shit to mess with. It feels to me like an instanced Destiny. In theory, once you get to higher levels you can sell drops in an auction house for Platinum, which you'll need to buy things you might want/need. And since this is F2P, this isn't stuff like a cool hat; it's stuff like decent high-level weaponry. I still have a bit of time before the loot treadmill bores me, so we'll see.

More
28 Mar 2018 11:15 #266494 by hotseatgames
I'm nearing the end of Bioshock Infinite. Currently in a prolonged battle that I have failed 3 times now, and it's getting annoying.

I played all of the first Bioshock, a small part of the second, and will finish Infinite. I think it's safe to say I like Infinite the most. I like the action, the story doesn't get in the way, and it just seems more refined. Minor quibbles are that there are more weapons and powers than are necessary. There are guns and vigors that I have literally never used, nor felt the need to use. The game also throws a lootable body / container at you every 2 feet, which can get annoying. I don't know if this game has a new game + mode, but it would be nice here; I could see wanting to go through again with all of my upgrades intact, just to try out all of the different things I am ignoring in my initial play-through. Realistically though, I can probably count on one hand the number of games I have beat multiple times.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.596 seconds