October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
30 Jun 2015 16:48 #205187 by hotseatgames
Ziggurat is cool. Got it for $5 in the steam summer sale. I like that it's Quake-style fast. It's not the greatest game in the world, but it's well worth $5 and is nice when you only have a few moments to play. Like right now, in fact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2015 23:46 #205208 by Motorik
My favorite old timey FPS back in the mid-90s was Quarantine, which is an FPS for all intents and purposes (particularly in the way it controls), but you're actually driving around a quarantined, grimy city in an armored, gun-equipped cab doing missions, running over mutants and dropping off passengers. That game had a weird hold on me when it first came out. I played it obsessively. I have no idea if it would still hold up, plus it's gory as holy hell.

On a totally unrelated note, how cool does this sound:

Her Story is certainly not what you would call a traditional video game. Set entirely on a police computer database in the English town of Portsmouth, it breaks a lot of new ground in terms of blending its narrative and gameplay in fascinating new ways. The game tells a grounded, personal narrative that, while dark at times, fleshes out a terribly believable character arc that gripped me from start to finish.

Her Story is a nonlinear exploration of narrative with no set ending. You've been tasked with reviewing evidence relating to a murder case that took place during the mid-'90s. The problem is, Portsmouth Police had only just moved from an analogue series of VHS tapes over to its new digitized system, and as as a result, the tagging of clips isn't yet a perfected art form. Your database starts with the word murder ready to search, then leaves you to explore the unfolding case in whatever order interests you most.

From the first set of clips tagged murder, I had several options of which narrative thread to pull at first. Did I want to look for clips related to the victim's name first? Maybe I should try to track down the name of the person accused of the crime? Perhaps I wanted to go in a completely different direction and try to find references to the murder weapon on the database. Right from the start, several different avenues opened up and the number of narrative options to explore only expanded as I went deeper into the case.

It's for PC and iOS. Reviewer gave it a perfect 10/10: www.destructoid.com/review-her-story-294991.phtml

More
01 Jul 2015 09:41 #205218 by Erik Twice

Michael Barnes wrote: I don't have a copy of any of the Doom games, Quake or Serious Sam

You can always play Team Fortress 2. It's far more strategical than any of those games, but it's the last "old-school FPS" of importance and, in my opinion, the best.

As far as Her Story goes...I'm actively disinterested in the game because it seems everytime someone talks about how a game is not "traditional" and is about "narrative" what they almost invariably means is that it's has a lot of videos and you "choose" which one is displayed next. The best game narratives are those created by the actions of the player not by cutscenes.

More
01 Jul 2015 10:07 #205221 by hotseatgames
TF2 doesn't scratch any itch related to Doom or Quake though. It's too slow and there is only MP. Most FPS games these days are too slow, in fact.

More
01 Jul 2015 10:37 #205223 by Erik Twice

hotseatgames wrote: TF2 doesn't scratch any itch related to Doom or Quake though. It's too slow and there is only MP. Most FPS games these days are too slow, in fact.

I think Team Fortress 2 is very comparable to Quake, specially since it started as a mod for it. The firefights work very similarly, there's the same focus on dodging, projectiles and controlling space and most classes Quake-styled weapon. It has a lot of twists and improvements to the basic engine, but it's the same engine.

More
01 Jul 2015 11:14 #205227 by Jackwraith
Played two games on the new Diablo-themed map of Heroes of the Storm yesterday. The map is amazing. It's a very different structural approach than many of the others, since there's only two lanes, but the middle of the map demands attention, since that's where the Immortals fight. The decision as to whether to attacks theirs or defends yours reminds me a lot of Battelore, 2nd Ed., where you have to make the choice of whether to prevent your opponent getting VPs or getting your own. The Immortal fight also changes the way teamfights happen, since you can play off their AoE stuns and damage to turn the tide in your favor. We won several 4-on-5s this way, since both games had an assassin player on our team who was determined to get the most siege damage... (That's OK, Raynor. You keep shooting those towers. We'll just be over here trying to, you know, win the game... Dipshit.)

I was playing Li Li, since I'm still trying to get her to level 5 (the XP grind without event bonuses and stimpacks is sloooooowwwww!) I know a lot of people consider her to be one of the lesser support toons but I'm pretty good with her because I think I've found her niche. You can't target Healing Brew, so you have to be in the right spot to hit the most damaged person on your team. Combine that with her movement boost when she takes damage and it's obvious that the idea is to keep moving. So I duck in and out, tossing Blinding Wind whenever I can and hitting my Q every 3 seconds to keep everyone healthy and I do OK. (OK. Raynor. That next tower looks like it needs some work. You keep going. We're two levels behind and outnumbered again, but you keep going.)

More
01 Jul 2015 19:13 #205240 by Black Barney
Before MAGIC DUELS: ORIGINS is released and takes 10-11 months of my soul, I've been binge-gaming trying to taste a bunch of different games to see what I've missed for the past year as MAGIC 2015 has monopolized most of my video gaming.

ELITE:DANGEROUS
wow. I did a 60-minute free trial and was pretty impressed. Your starting ship, Sidewinder, can't maneuver fast enough to take on faster ships so ship-to-ship combat is really tough. Plus, once your target leaves sensor range, I couldn't find a SINGLE way to track him. I spent 20 minutes chasing some sort of vapor-trail only to find out it's my own stupid exhaust wake and I've literally been chasing my own tail in circles the entire time.
So it's feeling a little Wing Commander like (and you can't possibly experience the game in 60 minutes since you don't have to do ship combat (like in Wing Commander), you can mine asteroids, smuggle goods, explore, or several other careers)), until I finally have to dock back with the space station and then I fell in love.

The station is rotating since there is fake gravity onboard and this thing is HUGE. So you are slowly, ever so slowly, approaching the main docking doors at one end which are shaped like a thin rectangle. And its rotating like a clock. So as I'm trying to apply just the right amount of pressure on the left stick to match my roll with the stations, I'm about to perhaps give it a little more thrust when I remember that I haven't communicated with the station yet to be cleared to dock and I imagine things will get crazy once I'm inside. So while holding pressure on the left stick, I pull up my comms and quickly move to contact the station to request clearance. They clear me for landing pad 4. Whatever that is. I then realize that when I get into this thing, I'm going to have to somehow maintain both my sanity and the horizon since the whole room is going to be spinning around me and I don't have a frame of reference like those rectangular doors or the sun or the big planet below the station. So I'm going to have to try not to drift into other big capital ships and all those fighters and walls and windows while trying to find wherever the hell landing pad 4 is. I'm so excited, i can barely breathe and then up on the screen pops a in-game message, "THANK YOU FOR PLAYING ELITE DANGEROUS. YOUR SIXTY MINUTES HAVE EXPIRED."

nooooo! I wanted to see what happens next! anyway, cool game.

Tried the LONG DARK next which is a survival game that has the coolest audio cues ever. But it requires an online connection and the wi-fi in my bedroom is lacking so I kept getting kicked from the game which was infuriating. Seems cool though but it's huge (I feel silly saying that after only just playing a game with literally 400 billion star systems in it) so I have no idea where to go. I was totally wandering around in the absolute dark (couldn't see anything) inside a dam cuz I couldn't find matches or materials to build a torch. If I had heard an animal, i think I would have quit the game and changed my drawers.

Tried #IDARB which obviously isn't meant to be played solo or even 1v1 online. It's clearly a party game for 2v2. Seems cute.

Tried both trial versions (to completion) of METRO LAST LIGHT REDUX and METRO 2033 REDUX. I enjoyed both very much. I can see what Barnes is on about.

Next up is episode 1 of GAME OF THRONES by telltale. I wonder if I'll be able to resist buying more episodes after.

yay vidja games

More
01 Jul 2015 19:22 #205241 by Michael Barnes
I've been meaning to go back and actually play Last Light...I started it, but other stuff distracted me and at the time it released I was NOT in the mood for a shooter of any kind. It starts off with some interesting things going on...I may dig into that, I have it on PS Plus.

The first Metro stands as one of the best games of the last console generation. It's unusually powerful, especially at the end. There are some very lovely things going on in it, and some really daring stuff that a lot of folks just did not get. Like, the reason you can't headshot/one shot kill bad guys...BECAUSE YOU ARE FIRING BALL BEARINGS OUT OF A PNEUMATIC, PUMP AIR RIFLE MADE OUT OF JUNK PARTS, YOU IMBECILES. There's a lot of "fuss" in the game- messing with air filters/gas masks, looking at a clipboard, using a lighter...little things that make the atmosphere come alive. There's also a very free-form sensibility about it, you can approach fights in many different ways...or not at all.

There is one really, really stupid part toward the end but in all it's a really great game.

More
01 Jul 2015 23:14 #205245 by hotseatgames
Just played through Her Story. While it's neat, I can't really say it was satisfying. Not in the way that Gone Home was. It's really not much of a game, although I admit that once the story twists started dropping I was intrigued.

More
02 Jul 2015 08:00 #205253 by Legomancer
I have been "playing" the shit out of that free Fallout Shelter game on iPad. I say "playing" because there really isn't much to it, it's super easy, and you've seen about all it has to offer in a matter of minutes. Yet it's dumb fun. I reviewed it here .

Recently Sex Pope knocked up Taylor Swift, who gave birth to a son named DJ Facey-Face.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.860 seconds