October 09, 2023
2424 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
15 Sep 2016 22:41 - 15 Sep 2016 22:42 #234364 by Gary Sax
You guys will have a fucking blast with undercooked, I think. Sounds like you have an ideal crew for it.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2016 22:42 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2016 08:27 - 16 Sep 2016 08:28 #234378 by Egg Shen
I've been gearing up for Halloween and I decided to dust off a game that I've never really liked.

Dead Rising for the Xbox 360 was a game that made me insanely jealous as a PS3 owner. I remember wanting a port of it for years. The fact that it was Capcom and it was this weird Japanese videogame ideas mixed with Romero's Dawn of the Dead made it sound like it personally designed for me. However, when I finally got around to playing the game and it's sequel I was underwhelmed.

That was years ago, and last night I decided to pop the original game into my 360 and see if I could finally fall in love with the game. One thing I will say is that I like the set up for this game much better than it's sequel. Flying over the town in the helicopter taking pictures of zombie carnage is a good way to kick things off. Also, unlike the sequel it doesn't take 45 minutes until you're doing something interesting.

I only played for an hour before I died (gunned down by some dude with a machine gun) and that's when I was presented with THE OPTION. When you die in the game you can either load from your last save (losing progress) or save your current level and restart the game. The game is sort of meant to be played like T.I.M.E. Stories in that you have to constantly restart and replay the game to figure things out. Also, you're constantly leveling up the main character, so while he starts off weak, slow, and limited in his abilities he will eventually become much more formidable. I used to HATE this, but having a full understanding of how it works I'm a little more lenient with it now. Still, I'll see how it pans out after a few more sessions. I'm curious to see how long I stay with it.

All in all, I didn't hate the game as much as I remembered. Killing zombies with ANYTHING in sight is still exceptionally fun and I love how off the wall the game/characters are. It's VERY Japanese and I like that. We'll see how long this new honeymoon period lasts.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2016 08:28 by Egg Shen.

More
18 Sep 2016 20:53 #234526 by Sevej
My main issue with Dead Rising is its time limit. That REEEEEALLLYY...... ahm ok. Anyway, I enjoyed the series and will probably get it anyway...

More
19 Sep 2016 10:31 #234555 by Legomancer
Finally put No Man's Sky down and finished Uncharted 4. I like that series but every single game has about 30 more gunfights than it needs. They're not particularly fun or interesting, just coming in and interrupting the nice parts of the game. The final fight was, on the one hand, not a gunfight, but on the other hand a new kind of combat you'd never done at all before, with not exactly intuitive controls. It seemed to take forever, but that was because I sucked. Finally it ended and the game ended and there was a lovely epilogue.

I then started on some games I grabbed in the latest flash sale. First up is Dust, a Metroidvania game that so far is pretty fun and not stupid crazy hard. I also got that Oddworld thing, Bastion, and Teslagrad. I've been looking at Wasteland 2, but is that something I want to play on a console?

More
19 Sep 2016 12:21 #234567 by iguanaDitty
The combat in Dust is fun, but I didn't try to go back and finish everything. Still, a good time and very pretty.

More
19 Sep 2016 23:28 #234586 by SuperflyPete
Wasteland 2 MUST be mouse and KB'ed, Dave. Just my 2c

More
25 Sep 2016 11:36 #234940 by Jexik
I finally finished a Classic ironman run in XCOM: Enemy Unknown about a week ago. Now I'm trying it with the expansion, Enemy Within. It was either that or crank it up to Impossible without the expansion. Both are really hard.

I think I might end up playing XCOM 2 on a next gen console when I get around to getting one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
25 Sep 2016 12:04 #234941 by hotseatgames
I got my boys computers for their birthday, and we have been playing co-op terrorist hunt in Rainbow Six: Siege. It's been a lot of fun, and I'm slowly getting them to play like a team instead of some random Call of Duty match.

More
26 Sep 2016 07:37 #234963 by Josh Look

SuperflyTNT wrote: Wasteland 2 MUST be mouse and KB'ed, Dave. Just my 2c

Actually, a controller for Wastelad 2 works pretty well. When the DC version dropped I turned the option on and thought it would be fine if I were playing on a console. My brother bought the game on his X-Box and confirmed.

As someone who loves Fallout but doesn't like the Bethesda games, Wasteland 2 made me so happy.

More
30 Sep 2016 10:48 #235247 by hotseatgames
Sadly not playing this, yet.... but I just learned of the development of Nidhogg 2, and that's pretty awesome. I'm not sure why the characters all look like naked Homer Simpson, but whatever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
30 Sep 2016 11:48 - 30 Sep 2016 11:49 #235253 by jeb
My son's 11yo birthday party featured multiple 8-person NIDHOGG tournaments, it was the hit of the party. They also competed in SMASH BROS WiiU and ROOT BEER TAPPER (my wife crushed them in this one). That last we have set up in Midway Classics on the iPad, playing on an iCade mini-cabinet. It's the shiiiiit.

(Our model has 6 buttons)
Last edit: 30 Sep 2016 11:49 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, JEM

More
04 Oct 2016 16:14 - 04 Oct 2016 19:23 #235490 by boothwah
Just got an Xbox One. Madden 17 Download included and they threw in Battlefront and the full version of Destiny with all the add on content - I'm waiting to install that until my buddy is ready to run with me co-op -

Madden's key moment feature in Franchise is pretty cool. Taking a little bit to absorb all of the options because there is so much baked into this compared to Madden 25. I think I;m going to love it.

Battlefront seems like a decent little light shooter - gave it fifteen minutes before downloading...

Magic Duels - Barney: I don't want to spend real money on this - I refuse to go down that rabbit hole - How frustrated am I going to be with deckbuilding after finishing all the story stuff? Should I plan on finishing story mode and shelving it? If I'm not going to spend real money, what do I spend my coins on? The new set? Origins boosters? Is there rotation coming?
Last edit: 04 Oct 2016 19:23 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
04 Oct 2016 16:30 #235492 by Black Barney
Hey booth, i haven't spent a single dime on the game and have all the cards.

If you enjoy deckbuilding, you will always love this game because you can make pretty decent decks out of the starter packs after you finish all the stories. Make sure to do the quests each day and flip the 60 gold quests to something better. Ideally you get the extra 20 gold per days for the first versus win of the day. The competition is pretty soft in Versus (ladder).

Spend your coins on whatever is on special. Check the prices of Origins and the first two expansion boosters, if they are all still 150, then buy the new set I guess. Eventually 1 or 2 sets go on special for 100 gold and you want to really take advantage of that. They have double gold weekends too. It's fun grinding gold against the AI right now cuz the AI decks are the best they have ever been. And the AI does not know how to crew vehicles so it's super easy gold.

i love you

don't shelf the game. I try to get 2-3 wins per day to get all the quests and that's it. That gives me more than enough gold. On the double gold weekends you want to hit the gold cap each day if you can. No rotation planned. They take cards out sometimes. Smuggler's Copter is probably going to be the next, that card is BONKERS. So happy to see you playing, I'm up for playing it anytime with you if you want (not 2HG tho).

glad you like it!

More
04 Oct 2016 21:08 #235507 by Sevej
So here's the thing. A few weeks ago I blasted RCI-style city building, after being so sick of managing traffic in Cities Skylines. So I returned to the much-maligned SimCity (2013).

And I've been having a blast. Not sure how long it'd last, but currently I love it.

First, it simply looks and sounds better than C:S. The buildings are much more interesting, and when you get tall buildings you truly feel rewarded (even if it isn't very difficult, just takes time).

Gameplay wise, it's ok. I love that road does everything (road also transfers electricity and water). After a while, laying out pipes whenever I zone a new area in S:C becomes a chore.

But the best thing is the small size of your "city". There isn't much space, especially when you're specializing in drilling or mining. When I start a city, it's very interesting that I have to consider location of oil deposit, wind, location of highway entries, waterways, etc. In C:S I do pretty much the same thing, but the huge map allows me a lot of leeway. In SC after a while, building up is a necessity.

Simulation wise, I like SC better. It's very artificial with poor/medium/high wealth population controllable by the player, but it's a challenge I enjoy. Traffic micromanagement in C:S? Not so much.

It's not without it quirks though, ensuring that zones have the right size to expand to their best density is a pain, and trying to balance worker/job, shopper/goods, and freight/goods is futile. But the last thing keeps the game interesting.

More
04 Oct 2016 21:42 - 04 Oct 2016 21:43 #235508 by Gary Sax
^Yes! I thought SC 2013 was much better than most people thought! I thought it was shallow, and that was its biggest issue. But people's horseshit about the size of the city drove me crazy. Their regional system was the start of something very insightful.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2016 21:43 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.511 seconds