October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
10 Oct 2016 07:35 #235849 by lj1983

Hadik wrote: Playing The Division on XBox. Enjoying running around Brooklyn and Manhattan blasting my way through scenarios. Doubt I will enter the multiplayer Dark Zone because frankly I'm just not that good. Bad guys are hard to bring down even though you riddle them with bullets. Not very realistic but I gues they cranked up their HP to make the game challenging.

Dark Zone in division is pretty terrible. I haven't played DZ in a while, but when I left it was mostly hunter-killer groups of players preying on lower leveled solo players.

but hit me up (evilewok83) if you want to run some co-op.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2016 12:15 #235931 by Michael Barnes
I haven't been interested in playing video games much lately but I got a hankering to play the new Doom. So I Gameflyed it. It's fun! Much like the last Wolfenstein game, it is a total throwback to the days when FPS games were single player with maybe a little MP thing attached on the side. I like this, because if I am going to play a multiplayer FPS then it is pretty much going to be Overwatch or nothing at this point.

The game looks great, sounds great, plays great. It's FAST. The melee thing where you can perform "fatalities" on staggered demons is really fun- totally over the top and gory as Doom should be. The environments are cool, they still have you looking for colored key cards and ammo shards which is so old fashioned...the demons are wily, definitely more versatile than they were even in Doom 3. No more of the "monster closet" stuff, everything is more encounter-based and some of them are pretty difficult to fight through.

It may actually be a little complicated though with the weapon upgrades and all...I don't know if I really want all of that in Doom of all things, I really just want the core weapons and the chainsaw. I do like some of the upgrades, like the thing that lets you shoot mini-missiles, that's fun stuff.

Exploration is actually a thing! There are secret areas! It's neat because they are totally optional, but if you want to 100% a level, you've gotta do it all.

So yeah, this is a good one...I think might keep it for $15, this is exactly the kind of old school shooter I enjoy I can see revisiting it on higher difficulty levels too. I think I might like it a touch more than I liked Wolfenstein.

Maybe it's all the Hell stuff, but it put me in mind to fire up Diablo III again. I swear, every time I come back to that game it's like they've added another expansion's worth of content. I decided to start a new character (having level 70'd Witch Hunter, Paladin and Shaman) so I took the Barbarian. Sucked at first, but once the levels started rolling in (thanks to Torment I), he's now pretty much unstoppable. That whirlwind attack is reeeeeeeediculous. Especially with buffs for fury and things that heal you when you spend fury, that kind of thing. I just tornado through hordes. The Nephalem Rifts on Torment are just INSANE, total chaos. Really enjoying getting back to this game, for a while my PS4 was pretty much a dedicated Diablo III machine. One of the best games ever made, completely timeless and you can always jump right back into it.

Mordheim is coming on October 18, definitely getting it. It's by the folks that did Blood Bowl/Blood Bowl II, so it will probably be wonk as fuck with questionable interface/AI, but 100% rules fidelity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
11 Oct 2016 12:32 #235933 by jeb
Watch those Molten dudes. I lost a hardcore Barb to some narrow corridors and chained moltens--had no way out.

More
11 Oct 2016 13:29 #235936 by Hex Sinister
We just finished a binge of Diablo and got our wizard and barb to 70+ and after 20,000 pulls on the adventure mode slot machine I'm finally feeling burnt out. I was thinking of picking up maybe Dead Island or Far Cry 3. I really want a new couch co-op title but I think we've played everything except for DLC content in BL2...

More
12 Oct 2016 13:18 #235979 by John Myers
If decide to play the DLC in Borderlands 2 Bunkers and Badasses is definitely worthwhile, and while it's short Mr. Torgue's Crater of Badassitude is probably the funniest piece of writing in the entire series.

More
12 Oct 2016 15:53 #236003 by the_jake_1973
I have Mordheim on Steam and it is quite fun. It is coming to console? Pretty awesome!

More
12 Oct 2016 18:56 #236031 by Hex Sinister

John Myers wrote: If decide to play the DLC in Borderlands 2 Bunkers and Badasses is definitely worthwhile, and while it's short Mr. Torgue's Crater of Badassitude is probably the funniest piece of writing in the entire series.

Cool. I've been thinking about waiting until I get the xbone and pick up the Handsome Collection. I think that has all the dlc included. And where the hell is BL3 already?

More
22 Oct 2016 15:48 - 22 Oct 2016 15:49 #236706 by Disgustipater
I've been playing Thumper and really enjoying it. It is kind of a pseudo-rhythym game.

Here is an example:
(go to 22:50 if it doesn't automatically go there)
Last edit: 22 Oct 2016 15:49 by Disgustipater.

More
25 Oct 2016 08:40 #236868 by Mr. White
Playing a lot of this with the kids this week...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Egg Shen, Erik Twice

More
25 Oct 2016 14:25 #236903 by metalface13
I've heard Mordheim is not 100% to the tabletop rules, but my friends who played it only played the beta version. I'd like to hear from some others how they like it.

More
25 Oct 2016 17:55 - 25 Oct 2016 17:57 #236924 by Vlad
Started playing Mordheim a couple of days ago. I have not played tabletop, but I personally know someone whose sister's roommate dated a guy who played Necromunda.

First thing I didn't like is the art. You know how GW miniatures are so distinct and recognizable? Apparently, whoever designed the video game doesn't get it. Everyone is way more proportional than they should be (except for Skaven, they look marginally better). It doesn't feel right, but maybe because I've spent the last months painting GW and pay too much attention. Likewise, it is all very drab, grey and muted, as if everything is bathed in Agrax Earthshade. The city itself at its best reminds me of original Demon Souls (in terms of art style). More often than not both characters and scenery look terribly generic, which is a major offense considering the license.

As for gameplay, I like it but it´s not that exciting. It is a solid pre-XCOM turn-based squad tactics. But it doesn't have that new XCOM drama, and the feeling that each of your decisions carry a life-or-death weight. That´s not to say it is easy. The AI is fairly competent and demanding, it is not uncommon to lose, so you need to think and act strategically. Unfortunately, the best strategy (or at least, the only one that I found viable) is to gang up on one or two opponents and not let them gang up on you. And the AI, although competent, is as exploitable as most of them toasters.

My feeling is that I'd enjoy Mordheim as a multiplayer affair, because it is fairly unique in that regard (for the same reasons people loved campaign play of tabletop Mordheim and Necromunda). Problem is, I haven't seen anyone in PS4 multiplayer lobby so far.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2016 17:57 by Vlad.

More
25 Oct 2016 19:38 #236930 by Michael Barnes
It's...I dunno.

Definitely not the tabletop game, that's for sure. It's more like some kind of cross between an XCOM/Jagged Alliance game and Valkyria Chronicles sans tanks. Conceptually, it is Mordheim- you have a warband/gang and you run around Mordheim fighting other warbands/gangs. You hire new members, they gain veteran abilities or lasting wounds, you have to pay them/outfit them, etc. so all of that is pretty good even though it is stupendously overcomplicated by a HORRID UI that makes absolutely no sense. I still don't know how to check a character's inventory in game.

In play, it's oddly dull and that isn't helped by some WTF design choices. Like how you have to pull up a map to see where you are and set a limited number of beacons that you can see in the 3D view. And said map? Doesn't even have a zoom function! Seriouslyl

There are definitely tabletop elements abound, like how you have to roll to climb successfully. And the fighting is turn-based, so you have guys standing around waiting to get clobbered. There are overwatch and ambush type options and you can set defensive/parry stances.

You have to collect Wyrdstone, when you do it has a random corruption effect. Which adds to the massive and somewhat opaque range of buffs and debuffs that plaster practically the entire screen. Seriously, there is information- almost all of it not really explained anywhere- all over the screen at all times.

There is a game here, but it is the kind of game I would have bought at CompUSA circa 1998, took home, had a ton of problems installing/running it, downloaded patches for, and then sat there wondering if it was something I should try to return. But then I'd wind up playing it 100 hours. There's something here, it's just so poorly made. It's hard to make an argument for it, and Vlad is 100% correct that these developers somehow didn't get the Warhammer look/feel right AT ALL. So I'm having trouble getting into it to see if the depth that there seems to be is actually there or not.

Especially since I have XCOM2 from Gamefly, and it is such a masterfully made, compelling TBS game.

More
25 Oct 2016 21:34 #236931 by Vlad
XCOM2 is excellent. I dig the style a lot, too, it is just like you should remember the old "V" TV films.

Mordheim just made me wish XCOM-2 had a real multiplayer, Necromunda-style, where your band would progress/digress depending on the outcome of skirmishes (that would actually make sense in the almost-apocalyptic-post-invasion world). One thing in favor of Mordheim - at least they have the balls to perma-injure-death your band in multiplayer (which would have been nice if anyone was playing).

More
27 Oct 2016 08:55 - 27 Oct 2016 08:55 #237028 by Gary Sax
kotaku.com/civilization-vi-the-kotaku-review-1788213327

Interesting point in here about how many of the changes (this reviewer says improvements) in civ 6 could be related to Ed Beach's background in board game design---Here I Stand, Great campaigns of ACW, etc.

Excited to try this version. Might wait until the steam sale in a year or whatever unless it comes as an Xmas gift from relatives.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2016 08:55 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
27 Oct 2016 10:51 #237039 by Colorcrayons
I'm not much into video games anymore, but I have been playing a lot of Disney Infinity with the kids.

Its good, and so close to being actually great. The creativity of building your own maps is peerless outside of the Sims.

Sadly, its discontinued now. But we have nearly 100 characters to play with. All the marvel and star wars fig salong with their respective playsets which allow a good preconstructed game experience are also owned. So we have a lot to go through.

Marvel battlegrounds in Infinity is the shining fighting game gem of the system though.

I am just really sad it went under before Dr strange was produced. Ugh. I desperately want him in the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds