October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
25 May 2017 13:30 - 25 May 2017 13:35 #249093 by Mr. White

Downloaded this to our Switch last night.

This is the one. This is the SNK fighter for me. Never played it until now. Being a Street Fighter fan I always tried to get into SNK games, but never got the feel for Samurai Showdown or the King of Fighter series and I thought Fatal Fury was a bit silly.

This one is great though.

Between this and Ultra Street Fighter II....the Switch is already worth it.
(yes, for me to play a bunch of old games...)
Last edit: 25 May 2017 13:35 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2017 08:17 #249115 by Erik Twice
Garou is a fantastic game and has some of the best, if not directly the best pixel art in gaming. Those backgrounds are amazing.

Just have a look at this:
imgur.com/RwG0QIj
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
26 May 2017 08:28 - 26 May 2017 08:35 #249120 by Mr. White

Erik Twice wrote: Garou is a fantastic game and has some of the best, if not directly the best pixel art in gaming. Those backgrounds are amazing.

Just have a look at this:
imgur.com/RwG0QIj

Yeah, I was up late again playing it last night. It's very challenging too, but maybe that's because I'm not as familiar with the move-sets. Hell, I couldn't get past Grant! (though to be honest, I refuse to drop the difficulty setting).

Reading up on it, this game still used the original Neo-Geo engine from the early 90s so they were able to push out this smoothness on technology that was almost a decade old. The animation isn't quite as smooth as SFIII on it's more modern CP3 tech, but I have a lot of respect for what SNK did here...and I definitely like this character roster better.

Oh, I also like Just Defend more than SFIII Parry system, but that may be because even though fighting games are my video game of choice...I'm not very competitive and mainly just play against the CPU for kicks. Just Defend is easier for me to pull off and more intuitive.
Last edit: 26 May 2017 08:35 by Mr. White.

More
26 May 2017 15:18 #249152 by Michael Barnes
How are the controls on Switch? I've hovered over the eShop on it a few times, but I don't know how those Joycons will handle a real fighting game like that.

Garou is _excellent_. I played it on 360 a bit. It's more focused than the other KOF games, but it's mechanically more interesting and better focused.

More
26 May 2017 15:24 #249153 by Black Barney
can someone photoshop a box cover of Garou with Michael Barnes' critical praise, "it's mechanically more interesting"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
26 May 2017 15:37 - 26 May 2017 15:39 #249155 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: How are the controls on Switch? I've hovered over the eShop on it a few times, but I don't know how those Joycons will handle a real fighting game like that.

Garou is _excellent_. I played it on 360 a bit. It's more focused than the other KOF games, but it's mechanically more interesting and better focused.

I've been playing on it after the kids are asleep, so not on the tv, but as a handheld unit. screen in the middle. the Switch is a fantastic little system, but I'm going to need a d-pad proper. Again, casual player, so never really took to the expense of fighting sticks. i can play on d-pads fine. The 4 buttons on the left aren't quite the same as a d-pad, so I feel like my game suffers a little because of it. Maybe I'll get better with the joycon as is, but I have had d-pads of some sort for every system since the NES....I'll end up with a d-pad here as well. I don't really use that little analog stick.

I need to find 'my character' as it were. I've been playing with Terry Bogart because I like the character design, but he plays a bit different than I'm generally used to. Playing with him reminds me of a Blanka or E Honda. His specials move him across the screen quite a bit so you have to anticipate your new location. I guess I'm used to a more Guile/Ryu type character who may have specials that position their sprites (flash kick and dragon punch respectively) in new spots...but not too far away from the original location. Terry lunges across the screen or does a few wide arching aerial punches and kicks...often times I misgauge his landing spot. That'll probably come, but in the meantime I need someone more my old style because Butt and Grant kick my ass....
Last edit: 26 May 2017 15:39 by Mr. White.

More
26 May 2017 17:17 #249165 by Michael Barnes

Black Barney wrote: can someone photoshop a box cover of Garou with Michael Barnes' critical praise, "it's mechanically more interesting"

I would prefer "It's mechanically delicious".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, scrumpyjack

More
28 May 2017 20:28 #249191 by SuperflyPete
Hopelessly addicted to mining in Elite: Dangerous. Just got the Horizons pack and the planetary landings suck tho. Driving around in your cart sucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 May 2017 21:32 #249193 by Black Barney
Yeah I saw you mined a huge amount of gold which is a really rare achievement to get, grats

I really think I should get that game

More
30 May 2017 07:25 - 30 May 2017 07:27 #249216 by JEM
180 hours into Fallout 4 with no end in sight. I started a second character with the intention of being a wandering feral kind of player, intending to move to Nuka World and play the whole raider side of things but the game really, really pushes back against that kind of approach.

First thing I did was ignore Codsworth, run to Concord, and leave the Minutemen holed up in the museum, instead jumping from the church roof to the vertibird to grab the minigun and power armour. 26 hours in without Preston Garvey telling me a settlement is in trouble has been a pretty relaxing experience. But, the exp grind was painful without completing quests (and with low intelligence stat), and at some point trying to be an asshole just doesn't gel. I started doing quests for the brotherhood because I thought they were suitably fascist that I could feel like I'm just in it for myself and dump them, but their quests dried up very soon- I think they don't continue until a certain moment in the main quest triggers something (avoiding spoilers). *

So I ended up doing quests for the Railroad, and levels came pretty fast after that, but it's hard to maintain a character who just wants to watch the world burn (again). A few NPC companions are set up in theory to respond favourably to "bad" or self-centered characters but my interactions with Cait, MacReady and Strong showed it was typically having to cut off your nose to spite your face to try and advance their approval. Although in the case of Cait she is happy to watch you pick novice locks.

I also tried to make a melee character, but I still had to put three levels of perks into rifle damage because again, the game is set up to be played in a certain way, and pushing against it is tough, also enemies have a knack for blocking attacks and maybe I just suck at fisticuffs. It's always much easier to sit back and snipe stuff. Also fuck mirelurks. A mirelurk for those that don't know, is a mix between a giant crab and a speznaz commando. Those fuckers will literally outflank, maneuver to cover and know the moment your feet touch the ground to move in for devastating pincer (ho-ho) attacks. And fuck assaultrons too, while we're at it.

Even without settlement building (my original plan was to do raider settlements via Nuka World) I spent some time in workshop mode, expanding the Red Rocket, playing with XOR logic gate sliding door switches and building a tower. The building element is a lot of relaxing fun, for sure.

*One of my goals for this character was to ignore the main plot.
Last edit: 30 May 2017 07:27 by JEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Jun 2017 10:11 #249405 by Black Barney
One of these Battle Royale games just game to Xbox One, there's a free trial, but I bet you need Xbox Gold to play. It isn't 100 players though, I think it's 2-16

It's called The Culling. It looks pretty bad but all the talk on this thread of Battlegrounds has me curious

More
04 Jun 2017 17:23 #249412 by Jexik
Finished X-COM 2 as I expected too. Hardest difficulty on Ironman sounds like more trouble than fun. I'm sure we could do it.

Tried competitive in Overwatch once I clocked up to level 25. I ranked as high gold, and then won a couple games to become platinum. That sounds shiny, but a quick look around the net shows that I'm thoroughly average. Which I'm okay with- I recognize that the ranking largely serves to match you with people that will give you close games. I thought I was worse to be honest- I hardly play FPS games anymore. I play Mercy, Lúcio, Soldier 76, Pharah, and Roadhog, roughly in that order. Occasional D. Va maybe? I rotate a bit more in the 3v3's which I think are really fun but I tend to be bad at. 75-80% of my quick match or competitive time is probably with those first 2 heroes.

More
04 Jun 2017 20:14 #249415 by Sevej
So, tried Overwatch at the free weekend and bought it on the subsequent Monday.

Enjoy it thoroughly, especially if my friends are online. The thing with Overwatch is, it's so easy to enjoy, even if you're losing. The shooting mechanism is solid (hitscan FTW), and there is a lot of chance to do heroics. My favorite hero is now Reinhardt, even if I do some stupid things with him (being shot at in the back, running away with charge, only to fall into chasm). Playing offensive Reinhardt is surprisingly tactical (finding the right time and place to charge). The others are Pharah, Bastion, Reaper, Soldier 76 and Mercy.

It's still overpriced though.

More
05 Jun 2017 07:22 #249419 by JEM
Fallout 4. I now have a rocket powered baseball bat.

More
05 Jun 2017 09:15 #249425 by Legomancer
Finally giving NMS a bit of a rest and playing the seasonal thing on Diablo 3, but I'm not 100% feeling it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds