October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Jul 2017 16:58 #251206 by the_jake_1973
Where is the Dislike button?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2017 23:52 #251210 by Colorcrayons
Barney just got all MySpace up in here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Jul 2017 22:42 #251235 by Sevej
So, spent the weekend played quite a bit of Half-life 2, which is probably still the most awesome FPS ever.

The game looks old and the textures bland, but the level designs are simply great. I've never seen a level design that put so much into player's hands. There's no safeguard, I think there's couple of spots that you *could* be stuck. But the game trusts you to do the right thing. A lot of physics puzzles that are actually fun, and some really great open stage. In one particular stage you drive a vehicle along a road. There's couple of hard stops in which you have to switch off energy field to allow passage, but often times you would find some buildings that *make* you want to explore it. Mind you, you *can* just skip them. But the way they are placed, look, and atmosphere drive you to check it out.

This is a game that thrive on *actual* AI/enemy behavior. They can be somewhat scripted, but a lot of freedom is given to the agent. Most games give fake excitement. At first things seem dangerous, but there's almost always an easy way around them. The enemies here have pattern too, that it's simple: they want to kill you. And sometimes they succeed. This is one of the few games that makes me stop thinking it as a game, and instead take it as an actual situation. On one scene, a huge chimney drops over the waterway I'm speeding through. If I'm playing other games, I would speed up, *certain* that it's what the game want. But here, I remember it's Half-life 2. I *could* get pass them probably, but I did waste some time making some turns and look back. So I swerved and turned.

The gravity gun is just icing on the cake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
17 Jul 2017 01:57 #251237 by Cranberries
I blew up our Wii in Doha and we sold our Xbox before returning to the US, and the kids are usually too busy to play videogames during the school year, but my brother gave us his Xbox 360 and I bought used copies of Skyrim and Mass Effect over the weekend because we are at that point in the summer vacation. I might get Dirt 2 because it is selling used for $20 so it's probably pretty good. My son wanted to get Halo (a game his older brother really liked) but he heard the main servers are dark now.

More
17 Jul 2017 08:32 #251239 by Black Barney
Yay Mass Effect

Sevej, have you tried getting through Ravenholm with just the gravity gun? It's surreal, you'll be panic-grabbing bed frames just to survive
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
17 Jul 2017 12:12 #251255 by Colorcrayons
I purchased the has bro family game pack conquest edition this weekend for ps4.
Scrabble is painful on here. I'm not a fan normally, but playing locally allows players to see each other's tiles unless the inactive players leave the room while the active player plays. Bleh.

Monopoly is at least decent and the star of the pack, with the enhanced graphics and such. If forced to play it, this is how I'd be willing to do it.

Battleship is just battle ship. And avoids the crap about scrabble by only needing each player to avert their gaze once during initial ship placement. It's still battle ship though. But a nice diversion that plays a hell of a lot quicker than the analogue version.

I haven't tried risk urban assault yet. There is no local option for multiplayer. So it's effectively a solo game for me.

List price is $40. I found it at target for $10. It's a questionable purchase even at that price.

More
17 Jul 2017 12:15 #251258 by Black Barney
you haven't played the best game on there! Risk is for sure going to be the best.

Is there a time limit for Scrabble? I take forever taking turns in that.

i bet digital Monopoly is way better than physical Monopoly

More
17 Jul 2017 12:22 - 17 Jul 2017 12:28 #251261 by Colorcrayons
There are a few variations allowed in scrabble. Time limits and even non legal scrabble words as long as they go unchallenged. We played without time limits. Never again. That was a very painful two hours for a two player game.

Monopoly even allows the choice of a single popular house rule, like free parking. The best one is building homes when you don't own the entire color set. That option is the best. The game is quicker and more satisfying since you don't sit there twiddling your thumbs hoping to make a good trade.
But it's still just monopoly, but it's is really damn pretty if you don't use the boring classic board and use the animated board instead. The animated tokens are a nice touch as is how the houses look depending on what area you build. The poor properties after Go are little hovels/trailer park that turn into a shitty motel when you upgrade, progressively getting new car until you get to boardwalk which is posh as hell. There is a playability problem with that though since you cannot see around the corner of the board if your about to round it to see where you might land due to all the crap polluting line of sight.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2017 12:28 by Colorcrayons.

More
17 Jul 2017 14:20 - 17 Jul 2017 14:30 #251268 by Mr. White
Ever since we got the Switch it's been all Ultra SFII for me.

It was the best of times: I never played the HD/Udon version before and the graphics are fun. Plus, I'm playing a version of the greatest head-to-head video game ever designed.

It was the worst of times: I thought the Shotokan Bros were bad before!? In the arcades I was always fighting Kens and Ryus with the occasional Chun-li. Now...all Violent Kens, Evil Ryus, and Akumas. Gets old. I used to not attack when my opponent is dizzy, but in my frustration against always fighting the same characters...I'm going against my code...
Last edit: 17 Jul 2017 14:30 by Mr. White.

More
17 Jul 2017 14:32 #251269 by hotseatgames
I wish they would do an HD update for Mortal Kombat II.

More
17 Jul 2017 14:44 - 17 Jul 2017 14:44 #251271 by Black Barney
That house rule in Monopoly about building homes without the set is genius. I've never heard about that before. It adds more luck to this casual game and removes the key driver of success which is "who can take advantage of the dumbest person best."

I like.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2017 14:44 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, Colorcrayons

More
17 Jul 2017 14:47 - 17 Jul 2017 14:47 #251272 by Jexik

Black Barney wrote: who can take advantage of the dumbest person best."

My favorite ploy was always to trade expensive properties for cheap ones, "to complete both our monopolies," but ask for some cash to make things even.

Then I've got hotels on the light blues, and... the rest of the table is F'd. Gentrification for the win.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2017 14:47 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
17 Jul 2017 19:45 #251290 by Sevej

Black Barney wrote: Yay Mass Effect

Sevej, have you tried getting through Ravenholm with just the gravity gun? It's surreal, you'll be panic-grabbing bed frames just to survive

Haha, done that a looooong time ago. This time I just used anything I could since I also had to rediscover where to go!

More
18 Jul 2017 00:18 - 18 Jul 2017 00:21 #251298 by hotseatgames
Hey Barney, I just won PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds with your boy Dunkey. He was a good teammate and won the game for us when he blew up the last two enemies with a grenade.

Link to Score His name is the last one in the upper left.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2017 00:21 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
18 Jul 2017 08:37 #251306 by Black Barney
Oh cool, was he mic'd? He's a really good gamer but sometimes he's in troll-mode, usually when he's mic'd.

I'll look at his next few uploads to see if this match is there.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds