October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
19 Oct 2017 13:40 #256008 by san il defanso
Yesterday, Google had the Twilight Struggle app on sale for $1.99. So I downloaded that and got a Playdek account to play asynchronous games. Add me at "nateowens" if you want to start up a game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2017 15:22 #256011 by Black Barney
Speaking of which I just saw that C&C:Ancients is being developped digitally! Oh boy oh boy

More
19 Oct 2017 15:38 #256013 by Michael Barnes
Barney, that doesn't have anything to do with Music Factory...sorry.

More
19 Oct 2017 16:02 #256014 by the_jake_1973

Black Barney wrote: Speaking of which I just saw that C&C:Ancients is being developped digitally! Oh boy oh boy

That will be sweet. It is the last C&C I have been trying to nab.

More
19 Oct 2017 16:12 #256015 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: Barney, that doesn't have anything to do with Music Factory...sorry.

Let me see you move

More
20 Oct 2017 00:45 #256031 by Disgustipater

san il defanso wrote: Add me at "nateowens" if you want to start up a game.

I added you. I'm normally anti-asynch, but I'll give it a try.

More
20 Oct 2017 08:42 #256042 by Legomancer
Started a Destiny 2 alt last night. I played D1 as a Hunter/Gunslinger, and when I started D2 I rolled with that, but now I'm trying out a titan. So far it's pretty fun!

More
20 Oct 2017 08:43 #256043 by Black Barney
Be sure to use the Striker subclass, upper skill tree, and double pulse grenades. He's amazing. Enjoy!

More
20 Oct 2017 09:04 #256045 by Colorcrayons
I got a free rental from Redbox last night, so chose marvel vs. Capcom infinite.

It's very pretty, but I can't get into it. These types of fighting games look great but they're just not for me. The dedication to learning moves is... Meh.

More
20 Oct 2017 09:32 #256050 by Mr. White

Colorcrayons wrote: I got a free rental from Redbox last night, so chose marvel vs. Capcom infinite.

It's very pretty, but I can't get into it. These types of fighting games look great but they're just not for me. The dedication to learning moves is... Meh.

I love fighting games....but I don't think my skill has improved a bit since about '94. I can't do all these crazy chain combos, juggle, or any of the offensive blocking. Hell, I still do the same kicks and punches I did in the SFII era.
Still, there's just a hypnotic feature to playing them. The dance of combat is mesmerizing. I love it.

More
20 Oct 2017 10:03 #256058 by Erik Twice
I was bored so I decided to make some fast One-City-Challenge culture runs in Civilization V.

Here's the issue: If you play on Immortal or Deity, the AIs spam so many cities that you cannot produce enough tourism to win. Hence the game turns into a less fun science victory or military victory game. Worse, half of the game is just out of wack: Half of the marvels are impossible to obtain, there's a 20% that Hagha Sophia cannot produce a religion and it's impossible to convert anyone because the AI just has too many bonuses and spams too many Missionaries.

Emperor, while a touch too easy, at least is playable.

That said you are locked in Brazil for fast wins. There's simply not enough Tourism to win in any other manner. I'm trying with Egypt now but I don't see myself winning before turn 249 (Year 1600) with them.

Oh well, it was ok. The more games I play the more problems I find in Sid Meier's Civilization. I used to like this series a lot but there's just so much stuff that just doesn't work from a design perspective:

- The AI does not play to win
- The AI is whiny and irrational.
- The AI does not comprehend the game and requires massive, game-warping bonuses to function
- In other words, the AI simulates the kind of person I wouldn't invite to boardgame night.
- Balanced strategies offer no benefit compared to going all-in
- The best strategies are based on snowballing early on and then cruising to victory
- Most of the game is irrelevant because snowballing is just better. You win the game based on whether you build 4 Crossbowmen or not, all research after that is just icing the cake.

So yeah, dunno. I would rather play strategy boardgames at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney, Vlad

More
20 Oct 2017 11:10 #256073 by Colorcrayons

Mr. White wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: I got a free rental from Redbox last night, so chose marvel vs. Capcom infinite.

I love fighting games....but I don't think my skill has improved a bit since about '94. I can't do all these crazy chain combos, juggle, or any of the offensive blocking. Hell, I still do the same kicks and punches I did in the SFII era.
Still, there's just a hypnotic feature to playing them. The dance of combat is mesmerizing. I love it.

The learning curve vs the ai is brutal. There is nothing to learn other than how to fly when you're up in the air all the time after it 20 move combos you. The training is next to nonexistent.

Dead or alive, is a better fighting game when considering teaching a player how to actually play the game.

More
20 Oct 2017 11:50 #256078 by Legomancer

Black Barney wrote: Be sure to use the Striker subclass, upper skill tree, and double pulse grenades. He's amazing. Enjoy!

I havent played Titan at all, so I'll be trying out all the different stuff and seeing what's funnest.

More
20 Oct 2017 12:32 #256079 by Black Barney
The default class is basically captain America and it sucks. But yeah whatever you enjoy the most. Striker is pretty fun with strafe lift cuz you float above a group of enemies and then ground pound them to a pulp

More
20 Oct 2017 13:11 - 20 Oct 2017 13:11 #256083 by jeb
Can I still shoulder smash fools? That was the most fun Titan build for me in D1. Jetting around and just LEVELING toons; maxed out speed, shotgun and that shoulder. Holy shit, it was like playing football while the marching band was on the field.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 13:11 by jeb.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds