October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
20 Oct 2017 10:03 #256058 by Erik Twice
I was bored so I decided to make some fast One-City-Challenge culture runs in Civilization V.

Here's the issue: If you play on Immortal or Deity, the AIs spam so many cities that you cannot produce enough tourism to win. Hence the game turns into a less fun science victory or military victory game. Worse, half of the game is just out of wack: Half of the marvels are impossible to obtain, there's a 20% that Hagha Sophia cannot produce a religion and it's impossible to convert anyone because the AI just has too many bonuses and spams too many Missionaries.

Emperor, while a touch too easy, at least is playable.

That said you are locked in Brazil for fast wins. There's simply not enough Tourism to win in any other manner. I'm trying with Egypt now but I don't see myself winning before turn 249 (Year 1600) with them.

Oh well, it was ok. The more games I play the more problems I find in Sid Meier's Civilization. I used to like this series a lot but there's just so much stuff that just doesn't work from a design perspective:

- The AI does not play to win
- The AI is whiny and irrational.
- The AI does not comprehend the game and requires massive, game-warping bonuses to function
- In other words, the AI simulates the kind of person I wouldn't invite to boardgame night.
- Balanced strategies offer no benefit compared to going all-in
- The best strategies are based on snowballing early on and then cruising to victory
- Most of the game is irrelevant because snowballing is just better. You win the game based on whether you build 4 Crossbowmen or not, all research after that is just icing the cake.

So yeah, dunno. I would rather play strategy boardgames at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2017 11:10 #256073 by Colorcrayons

Mr. White wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: I got a free rental from Redbox last night, so chose marvel vs. Capcom infinite.

It's very pretty, but I can't get into it. These types of fighting games look great but they're just not for me. The dedication to learning moves is... Meh.

I love fighting games....but I don't think my skill has improved a bit since about '94. I can't do all these crazy chain combos, juggle, or any of the offensive blocking. Hell, I still do the same kicks and punches I did in the SFII era.
Still, there's just a hypnotic feature to playing them. The dance of combat is mesmerizing. I love it.

The learning curve vs the ai is brutal. There is nothing to learn other than how to fly when you're up in the air all the time after it 20 move combos you. The training is next to nonexistent.

Dead or alive, is a better fighting game when considering teaching a player how to actually play the game.

More
20 Oct 2017 11:50 #256078 by Legomancer

Black Barney wrote: Be sure to use the Striker subclass, upper skill tree, and double pulse grenades. He's amazing. Enjoy!

I havent played Titan at all, so I'll be trying out all the different stuff and seeing what's funnest.

More
20 Oct 2017 12:32 #256079 by Black Barney
The default class is basically captain America and it sucks. But yeah whatever you enjoy the most. Striker is pretty fun with strafe lift cuz you float above a group of enemies and then ground pound them to a pulp

More
20 Oct 2017 13:11 - 20 Oct 2017 13:11 #256083 by jeb
Can I still shoulder smash fools? That was the most fun Titan build for me in D1. Jetting around and just LEVELING toons; maxed out speed, shotgun and that shoulder. Holy shit, it was like playing football while the marching band was on the field.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2017 13:11 by jeb.

More
20 Oct 2017 14:18 #256086 by Black Barney
yeah you can and that's what my build does right. Shoulder smash is only good after you've used at least one of your two grenades because it replenishes your grenade (the pulse grenades are super OP). But the shoulder smash itself sucks now. i really like doing it too, but it's not very good. The recharge on the shoulder smash is LOOOONG too.

More
20 Oct 2017 14:22 #256087 by the_jake_1973

Colorcrayons wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: I got a free rental from Redbox last night, so chose marvel vs. Capcom infinite.

It's very pretty, but I can't get into it. These types of fighting games look great but they're just not for me. The dedication to learning moves is... Meh.

I love fighting games....but I don't think my skill has improved a bit since about '94. I can't do all these crazy chain combos, juggle, or any of the offensive blocking. Hell, I still do the same kicks and punches I did in the SFII era.
Still, there's just a hypnotic feature to playing them. The dance of combat is mesmerizing. I love it.

The learning curve vs the ai is brutal. There is nothing to learn other than how to fly when you're up in the air all the time after it 20 move combos you. The training is next to nonexistent.

Dead or alive, is a better fighting game when considering teaching a player how to actually play the game.

Soul Calibur is my fighting drug of choice. DOA is pretty fun, but I do like the weapon combat of SC. I can't getting to 2D fighters anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
22 Oct 2017 20:35 #256180 by Cranberries

More
22 Oct 2017 21:04 #256181 by Sevej
Still on GTA San Andreas. Just when I started enjoying the game and story, it throws a curve ball and starts giving frustrating mission. It feels as if the game designer thought very little on gameplay. Build a world, give a rudimentary physics, and make missions with the challenge being the rudimentary physics. Car handling is crap shoot especially on off roads and shooting mechanisms are very basic.

More
22 Oct 2017 21:32 #256182 by Black Barney
THose games get a ton better

More
22 Oct 2017 21:50 #256183 by the_jake_1973
I picked up Bomber Crew on Steam. It is a FTL model, but in a Lancaster bomber. There is no pause button and that can make things a little hairy. You get to upgrade your plane's components and your crew's kit as well as get skills for your crew members.

I like it.

More
22 Oct 2017 23:12 #256185 by Sevej

Black Barney wrote: THose games get a ton better

Do you mean later in the same game or on 4 & 5?

More
23 Oct 2017 00:14 #256187 by Cranberries

More
23 Oct 2017 08:32 #256194 by Black Barney
IV and V, Sevej. Chinatown Wars is great too

More
23 Oct 2017 08:48 #256195 by ThirstyMan

Erik Twice wrote: I was bored so I decided to make some fast One-City-Challenge culture runs in Civilization V.

Here's the issue: If you play on Immortal or Deity, the AIs spam so many cities that you cannot produce enough tourism to win. Hence the game turns into a less fun science victory or military victory game. Worse, half of the game is just out of wack: Half of the marvels are impossible to obtain, there's a 20% that Hagha Sophia cannot produce a religion and it's impossible to convert anyone because the AI just has too many bonuses and spams too many Missionaries.

Emperor, while a touch too easy, at least is playable.

That said you are locked in Brazil for fast wins. There's simply not enough Tourism to win in any other manner. I'm trying with Egypt now but I don't see myself winning before turn 249 (Year 1600) with them.

Oh well, it was ok. The more games I play the more problems I find in Sid Meier's Civilization. I used to like this series a lot but there's just so much stuff that just doesn't work from a design perspective:

- The AI does not play to win
- The AI is whiny and irrational.
- The AI does not comprehend the game and requires massive, game-warping bonuses to function
- In other words, the AI simulates the kind of person I wouldn't invite to boardgame night.
- Balanced strategies offer no benefit compared to going all-in
- The best strategies are based on snowballing early on and then cruising to victory
- Most of the game is irrelevant because snowballing is just better. You win the game based on whether you build 4 Crossbowmen or not, all research after that is just icing the cake.

So yeah, dunno. I would rather play strategy boardgames at this point.

I was persuaded to get the fan mod for Civ5, Vox Populi. I'm told it totally upgrades the AI and adds new features.

Have you tried it?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds