October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2694 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
24 Oct 2017 10:20 #256242 by Michael Barnes
Why would you spend $18 on anything other than Super Mario Odyssey on Friday?

$47.99 with Prime...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2017 10:30 #256243 by Gary Sax
Steamworld Dig 2 is fucking awesome.

More
24 Oct 2017 22:13 #256286 by Egg Shen
Since it's October I've only been playing Halloween appropriate games. I recently went back and re-visited a cult-classic Genesis game from the 90s, Haunting: Starring Polterguy. What a weird-ass game! It really wasn't that long ago when EA was responsible for some of the more wild games in the industry. The Genesis era was them at their creative peak. Haunting is essentially a haunted house simulator where you play as the ghost doing the spooking. The whole experience is mischievous and perfect for this time of year. It's all topped off with in your face 90s "cool edginess" that make playing it in 2017 even more surreal. I go in depth with my thoughts over at the lounge!

wolfmanslounge.com/2017/10/24/haunting-starring-polterguy-1993/

More
25 Oct 2017 07:55 #256304 by JEM

cranberries wrote: I don't really play video games, then someone pointed me to Universal Paperclips, which is along the lines of Ian Bogost's Cow Clicker, one of those annoying academic games designed to teach you life lessons or be ironic. Except that it transmogrifies into something amazing that consumed about ten hours (sad!) of my Sunday.

Haha! That's amazing. Very much like adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/ who knew paperclips could go so far?

More
25 Oct 2017 08:01 #256305 by Mr. White

cranberries wrote: I don't really play video games, then someone pointed me to Universal Paperclips, which is along the lines of Ian Bogost's Cow Clicker, one of those annoying academic games designed to teach you life lessons or be ironic. Except that it transmogrifies into something amazing that consumed about ten hours (sad!) of my Sunday.

I understand the concept of amok AI consuming everything to make paperclips, but I don't get this game. You simply click buttons to watch the numbers go up? Does something else happen? I must totally miss the point here as I don't see how someone can look and click on this screen for 10 hours.

More
25 Oct 2017 09:35 #256317 by Disgustipater

Mr. White wrote: but I don't get this game. You simply click buttons to watch the numbers go up? Does something else happen?

What is there not to get? You click and the numbers get bigger. The more you click, the bigger the numbers get!

In all seriousness, clicker games are very popular. Most involve upgrades that 'click' for you or multiplying the numbers to make them even bigger. I also don't get the appeal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Oct 2017 10:31 #256324 by JEM
I liked it. I was puzzling out the priorities between manufacturing, research, investment etc and found the whole thing reminded me a lot of strategy games where you need X so you pursue it, but really should hold steady and build up Y instead.

Then it went weird.

Then it went batshit.

And in each stage, there were game elements to poke to try to continue efficiently making paperclips. I suppose you could set and forget the inputs, but you'd be watching it all week I would think. It doesn't require you to click on stuff all the time, a lot of the game is in building automation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Oct 2017 17:24 #256356 by Not Sure

Mr. White wrote:

I understand the concept of amok AI consuming everything to make paperclips, but I don't get this game. You simply click buttons to watch the numbers go up? Does something else happen? I must totally miss the point here as I don't see how someone can look and click on this screen for 10 hours.

Generally in a clicker game, when you reach certain thresholds new things appear. The evolution of the game is where the "fun" is. This one had some pretty crazy elements as you dig a little deeper. I had to shut it off because it was so CPU-intensive, but now that I look back it saved my cookie. That's probably not for the best...

My favorite of these was cirri.al/sharks/ , which I played a very long time. (long enough to see it all)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

More
26 Oct 2017 10:44 - 26 Oct 2017 11:35 #256394 by Gary Sax
Odyssey is out. I really don't want a Switch but those fuckers have me thinking about it again.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2017 11:35 by Gary Sax.

More
26 Oct 2017 11:34 #256400 by jeb

Gary Sax wrote: Odyssey is out. I really don't want a Switch but I those fuckers have me thinking about it again.

It's fucking great. ODYSSEY and ZELDA alone are worth the price of admission. I don't even have a game other than ZELDA and it's totally worth it. Imagine a PS4 you can take to work and goof off with during lunch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Oct 2017 11:42 #256401 by san il defanso
I bought a 3DS with all of my game sale money, and I've been plowing through the backlog of titles I never bought because I didn't own one. That includes...

- Super Mario 3D Land
- Zelda: Link Between Worlds
- Pokemon Sun
- Mario Kart 7

I also tracked down a couple of cheapie games I really enjoyed back in my DS Lite days.

- Picross DS
- Elite Beat Agents

That's a lot of games for just a few days time, but I like all of them.

More
26 Oct 2017 13:13 #256407 by hotseatgames
The Steam Halloween sale just started, and I scored Resident Evil 4 for $5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Disgustipater

More
26 Oct 2017 14:58 #256422 by Colorcrayons
The PlayStation holiday sale is going on too.

I scored the american McGee Alice games on ps3 for $5 total. Really great deal. Original silent hill for the same system, and alien isolation on ps4.

I need to check out resident evil 4 since so many harp on about it.

More
26 Oct 2017 15:37 #256431 by Black Barney
I've been bugging Ken to open his shrink-wrapped copy since 2002 I think

it's a lot of fun
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
26 Oct 2017 18:10 #256438 by Cranberries

JEM wrote: I liked it. I was puzzling out the priorities between manufacturing, research, investment etc and found the whole thing reminded me a lot of strategy games where you need X so you pursue it, but really should hold steady and build up Y instead.

Then it went weird.

Then it went batshit.

And in each stage, there were game elements to poke to try to continue efficiently making paperclips. I suppose you could set and forget the inputs, but you'd be watching it all week I would think. It doesn't require you to click on stuff all the time, a lot of the game is in building automation.

I was surprised at how immersive this felt. It reminded me a little of Fire in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.869 seconds