October 09, 2023
2509 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2707 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
15 Dec 2017 19:46 #259196 by Michael Barnes
Taking a break from all the Nazi killing. At least for a day. Because I picked up Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock on PS4 last night without any premeditation. I saw it was Slitherine and it was a turn-based space battle game...so I figured I'd take a chance on it.

Only played for a couple of hours, but it seems like it may be very good. It's obviously inspired somewhat by the FFG Star Wars games, Battlefleet Gothic, and a little Homeworld. It's set in the First Cylon War, so the 13 Colonies are all intact and there are Battlestars everywhere. And a bunch of new ships not from the shows.

The interface is super crap though- it took me a while how to figure out how to do just about everything. It feels like playing a PC game circa 1994 in some ways. But I'm launching fighters, targeting flak, taking subsystems offline for repair, and all that stuff now with ease. There is no vector movement, but at least you can move up and down!

There is a little XCOM in it too, you buy fleets and move them around the colonies and they give you money and stuff. Then you build ships.

So yeah, a nice surprise so far...the production values are pretty cheap, but it looks and sounds sufficiently like Galactica, so that means bagpipes in space and all that. I went ahead and bought the $5 expansion for it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2017 22:51 #259198 by Black Barney
Yeah that’s been interesting me too, I keep watching clips

More
16 Dec 2017 10:47 #259202 by hotseatgames
I picked up some oldies in the gog.com Winter sale.
Colonel's Bequest - this is the first of two Laura Bow mystery games. Basically a point and click adventure. I played it as a kid. It's very rough by today's standards and even has an image file you have to open on your computer to get past the "rule book copy protection" that was popular at the time.
The Dagger of Amon Ra - the second Laura Bow mystery, which I also played when it came out. This one is worlds beyond the first game in terms of tech, and has a lot of voice acting.
Realms of the Haunting - I never played this one back in the day, but it is highly regarded. It certainly starts off strong. It is basically a first person (RPG? Shooter?) horror adventure liberally doused in bad FMV. I'm looking forward to some quality "acting".

More
16 Dec 2017 11:26 #259203 by SuperflyPete
So, EvilEwok83 and I were Divisioning last night and my daughter strolls over just before the end battle in a hard ass mission, and turns off the Xbox. Brazenly. Like it was her right.

Apparently she wanted to ask me about her friend coming over. I wasn’t paying attention. She fucking killed the game, in progress.

Guess whose friend didn’t come over?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Black Barney

More
16 Dec 2017 14:33 #259208 by Black Barney
Lol, how old is she? I love this story

More
16 Dec 2017 16:56 #259213 by hotseatgames
hey slow down there, Roy Moore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
18 Dec 2017 14:27 - 18 Dec 2017 14:30 #259270 by lj1983

SuperflyTNT wrote: So, EvilEwok83 and I were Divisioning last night and my daughter strolls over just before the end battle in a hard ass mission, and turns off the Xbox. Brazenly. Like it was her right.

Apparently she wanted to ask me about her friend coming over. I wasn’t paying attention. She fucking killed the game, in progress.

Guess whose friend didn’t come over?

haha, so that's what happened

PUBG all weekend. it is addicting. made it to Top 3, still no chicken dinner. Again, the worst graphical part of the game is the pop in as you drop out of the plane, which doesn't really affect anything once you start to know the map. you need a headset. audio bits are extremely important. most of my 'first kills' in a game are from hearing someone enter a building under me. so i sneak into a room, close the door, and shotgun blast them when they open the door exploring.

I did have one occasion where the buildings didn't fully load once I landed, so I spent the first few minutes trying to enter buildings with no doors.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 14:30 by lj1983.

More
18 Dec 2017 14:45 #259273 by Shellhead
I have not been playing any video games lately. But my girlfriend wants me to spend more time playing them, because she thinks that I am spending all my time on the computer arguing about politics. She is mistaken, as I only spend about 20% of time online debating or commenting on politics. I probably spend more time discussing hypothetical fights online, like Wolverine vs Medusa. Still, I should probably take advantage of the fact that I have a girlfriend who is encouraging me to play computer games. I should blow the dust off my Steam account and re-start that Freedom Force game that I began a few years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Erik Twice

More
18 Dec 2017 14:54 #259275 by Erik Twice
Ha, my girlfriend is alos telling me to play more and talk online less. And she's right!

More
18 Dec 2017 20:02 #259296 by Gary Sax
My wife is in the middle of a deep Stardew Valley bender. I have been diving in and out of it too. Great game but incredibly addicting if you have any of that harvest moon/sims blood in you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Dec 2017 20:05 #259297 by hotseatgames
I put over 30 hours into Stardew back when it came out. I wouldn't mind getting it again on the Switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Dec 2017 21:10 - 18 Dec 2017 21:11 #259299 by SebastianBludd

Shellhead wrote: I should blow the dust off my Steam account and re-start that Freedom Force game that I began a few years ago.

Freedom Force is great, but it's annoying that you only ever find enough XP canisters during missions to level up two or three characters. There's a neat exploit around that, however. Whenever you discover an XP container pause the game and then arrange all your characters around it. Then, while it's paused, give each of them the "Pick Up" command and when you resume they'll all get the XP bonus.

Yeah, it's cheap, but it eliminates the need to play through the game 3-4 times to see characters' higher tier abilities. I remember playing it through the first time and how I couldn't afford to use some of the second-tier characters because they came too late in the game to level up. I used the exploit in my most recent playthrough and got to do some expensive leveling that I could never afford before, like giving Man-Bot the Flying ability and giving Mentor the Levitate skill.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 21:11 by SebastianBludd.

More
20 Dec 2017 10:14 #259376 by Disgustipater
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy. I made it to the Devil's Chimney, tried a few times, and decided to give it a break lest I get a little too aggressive and make things so much worse by falling.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Dec 2017 04:12 #259823 by __
compete.kotaku.com/police-kill-28-year-o...ting-call-1821648110

I just cannot get my head around what it must be like to live in that kind of culture. Thank fuck I live in a country where guns don't really exist (I mean in the more general sense, of course there exist guns but its not part of the culture or day to day life here in any significant way). I understand for many people in the USA gun ownership and use has a very deep rooted meaning in your history and identity, but fuck, I can't say I feel disappointed that the only 2 times I've ever seen a real gun were once in an airport and once on the NYC subway. Both times attached to police officers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
30 Dec 2017 11:06 #259833 by Gary Sax
Yeah, one reaction to this is about the culpability of those who are swatting others. I get that. That's a major issue.

But it's missing the main thing which is that you can literally just have someone call a fake threat in and you could be killed by the police. That's where militarization of police is at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds