October 09, 2023
2217 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
09 Jan 2018 01:22 #260569 by Sevej
Meanwhile, I installed the free copy of Assassin Creed IV Black Flag. My, what difference. Very minimal characterization, and collectibles right at the intro area. And running collectibles! How annoying is that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2018 08:39 - 09 Jan 2018 08:39 #260573 by Black Barney
Once you leave Havana and it’s you and your ship, the game is a blast. Exploring, sailing, hunting... it’s all so much fun

When you’re done the game, the Freedom Cry DLC is fantastic
Last edit: 09 Jan 2018 08:39 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
09 Jan 2018 09:10 #260574 by the_jake_1973
The ship part of Black Flag is the best part. If that strikes your fancy, I highly suggest picking up Warhammer: Corsair. it has the same mechanics in the Warhammer Fantasy/Man o War universe. There is something pretty awesome when your ship is battling an Orc Hulk and gets pulled in by the grapple claw, or when you are able to narrowly escape a Drillakilla attack and deliver a full broadside. The boarding battles are good as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
09 Jan 2018 13:05 - 09 Jan 2018 13:06 #260609 by Gary Sax
Yes, Black Barney is spot on. Get the fuck out of Havana as fast as possible. Roll with the main quest until you're out to sea. Go back if you feel like it.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2018 13:06 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Jan 2018 13:27 - 09 Jan 2018 13:27 #260613 by Michael Barnes

SuperflyTNT wrote: I’m an old slot car fiend and this may just scratch the itch.

On sale at Target for 20% off

I believe Anki actually sells direct for less than that, I got a lot of our stuff from them and the shipping was free. Could have been a Christmas sale though.

Actually, having some slot car experience pays off...understanding the importance of throttle control is really, really critical to keeping the cars on the track. But in this, you have two main differences aside from the weapons and equipment: 1) you can switch "slots" and 2) there isn't actually a "slot".

I would highly, highly recommend purchasing a third car AND a Supertruck even in the initial "check it out" stage. It really shines with a full field (only 4) and the Takeover mode is EXCELLENT. If you want to go all big ballin', I think that buying the base set and then the Fast and the Furious set is a good idea. You wind up with 4 cars (including the 2 F&F ones that are only available in that set) and a shitload of track for about $200. Cars are about $35-$50 a piece depending on what sale you get ahold of. The tracks are actually pretty cheap, under $20.

When I got it I actually had no idea that the cars had weapons. I thought it was just straight racing. Which is really fun. But then I saw that they had all of this crazy shit like doing 180s and blowing cars off the track, and that's when my $100 check it out buy turned into a $200 all in one.

I can't warn you enough though- be prepared for it to not be a full on 100% of the time thing. And be prepared that you may run into DOA cars like I have.

In terms of the buyer's guide...my favorite car actually comes with the starter, Skull. But I really like Big Bang (slower but with tons of armor and heavy weapons) and Nuke Phantom (balanced and looks awesome- better than the standard edition Nuke). Both trucks are about equivalent, but I'd go with Freewheel because I like the sleeker futuristic look of it. The Collison Pack is ESSENTIAL. That is the crossover piece. The Launch Pack is better than you'd think, and it adds some action with a jump. It also causes lots of accidents, as you might expect, and the Supertrucks can't use it. The risers are good and you really want a pack of them to go with the base game because there's not enough to do an extended raised portion- they're just like $7-$8. The rails, don't bother. They don't actually affix to the track pieces, so when a car hits them it just pushes the rail off and the car does what it was going to do anyway. I've thought about blue-tacking them on. You're also going to want to hit the Sterlite aile to get something to put it all in, I got a flat-ish bin for the tracks and a small one for the cars and charger.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2018 13:27 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
09 Jan 2018 19:19 #260632 by Sevej
Yeah, admittedly I quite enjoy the first battle, climbing in the wilderness (so much that I collected everything before I leave the first locale), and navigating out of the bay filled with sandbars. The city was a disappointment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
09 Jan 2018 19:43 #260634 by Black Barney
Navigating through the sandbars was the first really fun thing in that game. Just wait until you hit the open seas

More
09 Jan 2018 20:51 #260635 by Gary Sax
Absolutely enthralled by EU IV with a bunch of expansions. What a game. It's still not super challenging but the game I'm having using Hamburg is such fun.

This whole don't buy a Paradox game until 5 DLCs in thing is my new go to. Everything pretty much works!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

More
09 Jan 2018 21:42 #260638 by Da Bid Dabid
What do you think the age is on this Anki racing game thing. My 2 year old is obsessed with cars... but this seems a bit ahead of him. 5 year old maybe? Also Barnes sell me all your stuff at great discount.

More
09 Jan 2018 21:59 #260639 by Michael Barnes
I dunno, at 2 I think it’s possible...the cars move automatically at low speed so you could just turn it on, hand him a device and thy would probably like just watching the cars go around and pretending to control it. They can’t intentionally steer off the track, the AI actually does its best to maintain course. When you steer with the device, you are really changing lanes (there are 4) and your speed adjustments affect your racing performance, especially in the curves. But a 2 year old won’t care about all that I don’t think. The app also handles all of the engine and weapon sounds and the AI drivers talk a bunch of G-rated trash to you the whole time.

I would caution that I think the whole thing is quite sensitive...I’m still not 100 percent sure how it all works but I think that you would not want a small child roughing up the tracks by pushing cars around on them or anything like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid

More
16 Jan 2018 08:47 #261065 by Legomancer
I have been re-playing The Witness and really enjoying it. I finished all the "main" puzzles and got through the mountain all the way up until the elevator. I'm now in the secret area, working my way towards the challenge. I've gotten a few hints along the way, but mostly I've gotten pretty good. Haven't watched any of the movies yet because some of those are loooooooong. (I did find the hidden ending at the start of the game). I'm also trying to get all the environmental puzzles. So far no hints on those (the game provides several on its own). There are supposedly over 600 panels and I'm around 490.

I also re-bought Fez, which I played before on the Xbox and enjoyed, though I got frustrated with it at one point.

I need to finish Doom so I can get it off my PS4 hard drive, but I just haven't been in that place recently (as shown by the fact that I'm playing The Witness).

I also bought Horizon Zero Dawn and played some of it but again, that's not really where I am right now.

More
16 Jan 2018 09:11 #261067 by lj1983
Necromancer for Diablo III was on sale so I gave in and bought it. and started a new game of D3, which still as addicting. and even more now with my army of skeletons and flesh golem following me around.

Still PUBG, but its really best with a group that works well together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
17 Jan 2018 23:09 #261286 by hotseatgames
1. Finished Zero Time Dilemma. A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy that manages to touch on events from the previous games.
2. Chipping away at the 2012 Syndicate FPS. It's cool, but difficult and linear to a fault.
3. Also messing around with Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It's as stylish as the first game but so far I don't love it the way I loved the first game.
4. I couldn't resist starting Wolfenstein 2. I'm playing on easy, and that's working for me because the story is the real draw here. This game is amazing, plain and simple. When I saw the original Wolfenstein 3D, I was blown away. And this game blows me away all over again.

More
17 Jan 2018 23:27 #261288 by Michael Barnes
Don’t let the difficulty fool you. Easy is not for babies. It’s still hard. It’s easier to get into the story on easy. And it is one of the best video game stories out there.

More
17 Jan 2018 23:27 - 17 Jan 2018 23:32 #261289 by Gary Sax
I had a great end to my EUIV game with Hamburg. I was doing great, colonizing and had expanded to 5-6 provinces or so. Then, I joined the Protestant League. Austria declares war and the thirty years war starts. A bunch of the chicken protestant countries remained with Austria and England that I wasn't expecting (BRANDENBURG!!!) was allied with Austria. 10-20 years later I was completely out of manpower and Austria took every province of mine and made me release every province except for my original one province. All my progress undone for the last 140 years. I could go further but I feel like it was a perfect encapsulation of my first game.

It was humiliating in exactly the way I constantly humiliate and dismantle AIs in the game. I can't believe the English decided to intervene in Germany. And in this timeline, there was no Gustav II Adolf in Sweden to assist the Protestant states.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2018 23:32 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.558 seconds