October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
19 Jan 2018 13:15 #261509 by Colorcrayons
Agreed on the hanging out part.

I understand I don't need the system, I'm just at odds about what it offers that makes it compelling enough to purchase in my case.

I mean, if it's basically just an updated portable Wii, then the answer is no since I already have a Wii and have done a lot of research and time playing to get the cream of the crop for that system for our tastes.

Updated graphics don't really matter much is that's all it offers, as Mario kart still plays just fine without the update, for example.

I get that Mario Odyssey is great among other switch titles. But I also have Mario Galaxy one and two.

I have overcooked, stikbold (super game by the way) and a few other good couch co-ops for the PS4, not to mention the other greats games like crash team racing on PS3 and the rest of the Wii library.

This is what I am trying to figure out about the switch. Is it just the hotness for it's own sake (it's new, has better graphics, etc) and 'potential' it offers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2018 13:40 - 19 Jan 2018 13:41 #261517 by jeb
Right now, given your set up? It's hotness. The potential is really nice, but why buy for that? You can wait for it to be realized and buy it then. No big deal. I waited on a PS4 for years, Xbox360 was enough. If LABO becomes some huge thing, you should be able to get in on that whenever, I hope. It's fucking cardboard. Nintendo should be able to manufacture cardboard reliably and not have the same infuriating supply issues they require for hardware and Amiibos.

I don't use the PS4 for couch co-op so much. We only have two controllers, and one is a little suspect right now actually. The Switch ships with two, and my bundle packed a Pro controller too, so we have three.

One thing I am not doing, but see others doing is re-buying things. I don't need KART 8 again. I have that. I don't need SUPER MEAT BOY again--I have that twice from all my Xbox and PS4 subscriptions over the years. I will be buying BAYONETTA again, because I loved that game on the 360 and didn't get 2 on the WiiU during the twelve minutes it was available. A similar story plays out for DARK SOULS.

Honestly, ZELDA was enough to bring me in. ZELDA, MARIO, and METROID are my franchises. And the hype on ZELDA was long-lived, and justified (compare to SKY WARD SWORD and TWILIGHT PRINCESS which I never finished). It's a great fit for me, but I see your reasons for not doing it, and they totally make sense.

--An aside: Is SaMoKo still around? He has 100+ hours on XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 and I want to hear about that.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2018 13:41 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
19 Jan 2018 14:22 #261527 by hotseatgames
No, Switch is not the new Wii. Wii's gimmick was all about motion controls. I personally hate motion controls. They do exist on Switch but usually you can ignore them. The real hook is being able to play proper console games in handheld mode. One device, two ways to play, and it works perfectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Colorcrayons

More
19 Jan 2018 14:44 - 19 Jan 2018 14:49 #261530 by Colorcrayons
Thanks Jeb. I can now avoid the switch for a bit with sound conscious.

On topic, I finally pulled the trigger on the PS Now week long demo period.

I nearly paid the $100 for the year long subscription, but I figured I'd try it out first and see if the 600+ game library was worth that.

In short, for me it is certainly not.

There are a lot of games, but not enough good games that I don't already own to merit it.

Sony really needs to dig into their past library of games that have yet to be remastered for this to be worthwhile.

But I have played a lot of games on it during my week long period. I don't have "the last of us" yet on PS4, and playing through it has convinced me a I need to buy it since I don't have enough time in a week to finish it.

My take on PS now is that it has the potential to be the ultimate way games could be demoed, via a time allotment for each game. It's better than downloading what few demoes there are on the system.
But as a subscription service for streaming games as it stands right now, it really isn't worth it unless you're very new to the PS4 and have no games at all.

It needs a vastly larger library before it would be worth it for me. As in all current PS4 titles, and all previous console titles. There is just a large waste of potential here otherwise.

Verdict: give it a shot for the week long period given for new PS4 owners, but until it gathers considerably more steam, it should be avoided.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2018 14:49 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
19 Jan 2018 19:08 #261544 by Michael Barnes
I have PS Now. My kids run amuck with it, they are always playing something different on it. It is a really good service but, oddly, not great for really digging into a game. Because here is the reality of it. There is always something new to play that you will pick over a PS Now game. That said, I really like that I can go in and play a little SFIV, Mortal Kombat, Nidhogg, Split/Second whatever without either having a disc or having it on my already maxed out hard drive. And it is good for those "kinda wanted to check that out" titles.

More
20 Jan 2018 02:10 #261553 by rocketkiwi
The big thing about PS Now for me is that it works on PC, so I can play something like Last of Us without owning a Playstation at all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
20 Jan 2018 09:40 #261559 by SuperflyPete
I like Xbox Gold. 60$ a year and you get 36 free games which you “own”. Not always good but many times they are. For someone like me who rarely buys games it’s a win.

I also like that you can stream your Xbox from anywhere. It’s awesome to have the kids take over the TV and I can retreat to the office and play on my PC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Jan 2018 06:58 #261592 by __
Fair play to anyone who could get past the first mission of Tomb of Annihilation PC game. Its fucking wank. Slow as shit, and boring as shit. Avoid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames

More
22 Jan 2018 10:09 #261684 by Legomancer

jeb wrote:

Legomancer wrote: I have been re-playing The Witness and really enjoying it. I finished all the "main" puzzles and got through the mountain all the way up until the elevator. I'm now in the secret area, working my way towards the challenge. I've gotten a few hints along the way, but mostly I've gotten pretty good. Haven't watched any of the movies yet because some of those are loooooooong. (I did find the hidden ending at the start of the game). I'm also trying to get all the environmental puzzles. So far no hints on those (the game provides several on its own). There are supposedly over 600 panels and I'm around 490.

I also re-bought Fez, which I played before on the Xbox and enjoyed, though I got frustrated with it at one point.

Two of my favorite games. I max %'d FEZ twice and I cannot, dear god, please one time for the life of me can't beat The Challenge in The Witness

Jeb, maybe you can help me out here. I'm at the point in Fez where I need to figure out the written code. When I first played it I just looked it up on the internet but if there's a good way to let the game teach it to me, I'd like to try that. I remember there are two codes: alphabet and controls, but I don't see anything, even in the "school" buildings, that seems to help teach them.

More
22 Jan 2018 11:44 - 22 Jan 2018 12:03 #261693 by jeb
As I recall, the school teaches you the numbers.

I learned the alphabet from a couple animals and how they interacted. There is no puzzle to solve, you can just see what they do, and see some nearby language and you'll crack it.

There's a block that tells you the controls language, it updates as you move around. I don't remember where that is though. It's obvious when you find it though, so just keep playing.

I beat LETTERQUEST today, beating the big boss with SCUZZIER for 795 damage. Bladow. My play of the day was JERBOA though. I was pretty sure that was a word. Turns out it's a little mammal!

I played some TORCHLIGHT 2 yesterday. It's more DIABLO 2 than DIABLO 3 is.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2018 12:03 by jeb.

More
22 Jan 2018 12:29 #261696 by hotseatgames
On a bit of an impulse, I pre-ordered Monster Hunter World for Xbox One, to be delivered on Friday. I think I'll have a lot of fun with it, but shame on them for not putting it out on Switch. Perhaps it's for the best, since I'd then have to share with the kids. The Xbox One resides in my room and they can't use it. :)

More
22 Jan 2018 13:45 #261710 by RobertB
jeb wrote:

I played some TORCHLIGHT 2 yesterday. It's more DIABLO 2 than DIABLO 3 is.

And who doesn't want a Combat Alpaca?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Jan 2018 14:30 #261719 by ChristopherMD
Replaying some Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn out of nostalgia I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
22 Jan 2018 14:33 #261721 by jeb
I went to look up where that block is in FEZ on my Vita, and my save file is gone. So I know what I am doing for the next few days.

More
22 Jan 2018 17:04 #261742 by Erik Twice
I won my first game of Factorio somewhat recently. My factory was inefficient, a mess and needed over 2200 laser turrets for defense. I decided to try again, this time using a low-pollution strategy and wow, what a difference! I barely built any turrets, much less laser ones.

Now I'm beginning to turn that game into a megabase game. I'm cleaning terrain, one uranium bullet a time, building new, gigantic smelter setups and filling the map with robots. My goal is to send a rocket (that is, win the game), once per minute.

This is turning into one of my favourite games.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds