October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
09 Apr 2018 13:38 #267151 by Erik Twice

RobertB wrote: I haven't played on Emperor yet, but I know on King they make the exact mistake mentioned - they underestimate how hard it is to take a city.

It seems they just compare numbers as in "We have 450 strenght, they have 200, surely we can beat them!" but don't consider that each archer will shoot three times each and their soldiers' strenght won't matter because they'll never be able to attack.

I think that, from a design perspective, Civ would work best on areas or nodes instead of hexagons or squares. But I know people expect tactical combat from Civ.

Gary Sax wrote: I find PUBG like god like levels more intense than Fortnite, it may be personal preference though, as was said before.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it, if you don't mind :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2018 14:40 - 09 Apr 2018 14:42 #267156 by Gary Sax
So gunplay in PUBG is more like Arma than a casual 3rd person shooter. That ups the stakes almost infinitely in terms of head on a swivel and deep paranoia about what's around the next corner, over the next hill, etc. I find Fortnite is tense in the way that the battle royale template is automatically compelling and tense, but the gunplay is *so* limp and impactless that it works against it. Moreover, the ability to build stuff on the fly, build towers, etc, I think negates the whole point of the paranoid tactical play of PUBG. Get in a jam while you decide to run in the open from hill to hill? Just build a wall in front of you. That said, no hate---it's like the most popular game in the world and it does what *it* does well.

To contribute to this thread, I have been playing endless amounts of Stellaris still. With the same Parrot race---we've ascended psionically and now we have a death star, so everyone neighboring me has a cassus belli on me to stop the death star. I encourage them to take that chance. What's great is I'm mostly focused on spending immense amounts of energy and minerals on internal development, not expansion. I'm the founder of a three empire federation with some cute little starfish people and some space elves. Whenever they get a scrape, they call a vote on who to go to war with, the two small fries in the alliance vote yes, and then I get called in. Big daddy comes in and sweeps their neighbor with cleansing fire, then the war is over. But the hilarious thing is that it's not like we are blobbing and becoming huge---the federation has a no offensive wars ideology so all we can do is humiliate our foes---so we don't take any territory. That's small satisfaction to the countless heathen enemies who lost their lives in the war, but it means the cycle continues.

I would love them to do some DLC on federation internal politics, I'm so up for that when they get around to it. Playing peaceful is a lot of fun unless you're hyper powerful and your federation isn't challenged, then you just get to explore the tech tree and build more and more powerful ships and upgrade starbases and buildings.

I just love everything about the game. It is not a tight design, the AI isn't great, and it's very meandering and slow in the mid game. It just does something for me. The different tech paths are all super fun---so I did psionics and I outlaw all robots and synthetic life---and I get cool little mechanics like being able to reach into another dimension and get boons from sort of all powerful dimensional being in what's called "the shroud." It's a simple mechanic of paying energy and rolling a die for the benefit you hope to get but it's so, so flavorful.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2018 14:42 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Apr 2018 19:03 #267181 by Not Sure

Stonecutter wrote:

Black Barney wrote: lol, it sounds so much fun and satisfying

'

Factorio looks like a souped-up FactoryIdle ( https://factoryidle.com/ ). There's a definite simplification in that there's no hostiles or anything else in FactoryIdle, just pure "wedge all the machines in and get them going".

I quit FactoryIdle about 3/4ths of the way through, when I realized I just didn't want to tear everything apart again to refit for the next technology.

More
09 Apr 2018 20:36 #267189 by Sevej
I finally started up Farcry 4. Farcry 3 is among my most favorite games.

I just can't stop playing it. It's totally nothing new, more of the same, with quality of life upgrades. The story is... well, it's just Farcry. The world is filled with nut heads... hippies who're trying too hard to look crazy. But it's ok. The gameplay is fun, vehicle is fun, running from tiger when stalking enemy camp only to end up bitten by a snake is hilarious. The tasks are repetitive, but they ARE fun. So doing repeatedly fun things? Fine by me. Of course, the best part is the maps showing loots and other collectibles. A lot of people hate this, as it's filling the map with icons. But again like Farcry 3, this leads to some very exciting exploration, in caves, climbing mountains and temples.

More
09 Apr 2018 20:41 #267190 by hotseatgames
Nice. I'm going to snag Far Cry 4 the next time it's on sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
10 Apr 2018 00:24 #267198 by san il defanso
I spent about six hours so far on Crusader Kings 2, and while I know that's an infinitesimal drop in the amount of time that can be spent on that game, I think it's enough time for me to say I'm willing to give it a pass. It's not so much that I don't get the game, although I really only understand the broadest strokes. It's more that I think the game is making you jump through way too many hoops and invest way too much time to get to that really fun emergent storytelling aspect. Even in its most basic form, CK2 is so insanely detailed, and the interface is so overwrought, that it is more work than I am up to investing in it at this point. I do see the appeal, and I had some enjoyment on the way. But I wasn't into it enough to really give a pass to the sharp edges.

I think what I really don't like about it is how it has all this amazing emergent narrative, but you really can't take part in it unless you know the game really well (or maybe if you understand medieval political intrigue really well, but I'm less sure of that). I made so many game-killing mistakes that I had literally no way of knowing about. Compared to something like SM's Civ, which gives you something to enjoy almost immediately, I will gladly take something more gamey and a little less refined if it means I can have fun right away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Apr 2018 00:30 #267199 by Gary Sax
Agree with everything you said, San. Sorry you bounced off it but it's an acquired taste. I'd say it's the most non traditional strategy game I've ever played, even in the context of paradox's other games. I find myself playing EUIV and Stellaris more often for the same reasons you said, even though I've played 60 hours or more of CKII.

That said, Paradox's "no goals besides what you set for yourself within the simulation" is most successfully realized in this game, I think. And that is so My Thing that it makes it hard for me to go back to normal, competitive, strategy games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
10 Apr 2018 03:00 #267202 by san il defanso

Gary Sax wrote: Agree with everything you said, San. Sorry you bounced off it but it's an acquired taste. I'd say it's the most non traditional strategy game I've ever played, even in the context of paradox's other games. I find myself playing EUIV and Stellaris more often for the same reasons you said, even though I've played 60 hours or more of CKII.

That said, Paradox's "no goals besides what you set for yourself within the simulation" is most successfully realized in this game, I think. And that is so My Thing that it makes it hard for me to go back to normal, competitive, strategy games.

I think that the more open structure might work better for me with something more conventional. EU4 and Stellaris would likely be better fits.

More
11 Apr 2018 15:56 - 11 Apr 2018 16:37 #267291 by Black Barney
About to play HQ with Dwayne JOhnson for $300k BAY-BEE!!

Ugh!! Apparently your quads are in your legs, not your arms. I haven't spent a second in a gym since 1992, how embarassing. It was like the 2nd or 3rd question too. And I was doing it with a super hot girl, so now I look like a total moron
Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 16:37 by Black Barney.

More
11 Apr 2018 17:49 - 11 Apr 2018 17:53 #267309 by RobertB
I did that earlier too. Who knew that the 'P' in CRISPR was 'Palindromic'? Not me.

ETA: The host of HQ Trivia is like nails on a chalkboard to me. For me it's just "pleaseshutup pleaseshutup pleaseshutup pleaseshutup pleaseshutup" until they start asking questions.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 17:53 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Apr 2018 17:59 #267310 by the_jake_1973
I prefer playing it without sound. I hate listening to any of their hosts.

More
11 Apr 2018 19:40 #267323 by Black Barney
The sound cuts in and out for me which makes the hosts 100x more irritating

More
18 Apr 2018 08:37 #267717 by hotseatgames
Played some local multiplayer last night...

Mortal Kombat X - I completely stomped my friend, as it should be. Scorpion is my main, he is the coolest MK character, and that's just science.

Crawl - My son joined us for 3 player Crawl. This game is so cool, it has come so far from its early access days. There is a lot of content we don't have unlocked. Check it out if you want competitive dungeon crawling.

Door Kickers Action Squad - Two player cooperative side scrolling tactical madcap SWAT action. Very fun, highly recommended. Actually, all of these are highly recommended.

More
18 Apr 2018 09:44 #267721 by SuperflyPete
Playing the Far Cry series. In Africa now with Far Cry 2 which is one of the most boring, griefy game I’ve ever played. Only reason I’m playing it is that I’m out 6$ on it and I refuse to not play it. 70% done.

Next up Far Cry 3, then Blood Dragon which I’m most excited about, if you can call it excited, then skipping FC4 and Primal since I’ve beaten those already.

Figure I’ll do Far Cry 5 next year when GOTY edition comes out and all the bugs are gone.

More
18 Apr 2018 09:46 #267722 by SuperflyPete

Sevej wrote: I finally started up Farcry 4. Farcry 3 is among my most favorite games.

I just can't stop playing it. It's totally nothing new, more of the same, with quality of life upgrades. The story is... well, it's just Farcry. The world is filled with nut heads... hippies who're trying too hard to look crazy. But it's ok. The gameplay is fun, vehicle is fun, running from tiger when stalking enemy camp only to end up bitten by a snake is hilarious. The tasks are repetitive, but they ARE fun. So doing repeatedly fun things? Fine by me. Of course, the best part is the maps showing loots and other collectibles. A lot of people hate this, as it's filling the map with icons. But again like Farcry 3, this leads to some very exciting exploration, in caves, climbing mountains and temples.

Far Cry 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. That said, I think Dying Light is similar in scope but WAAAAY better

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds