October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Apr 2018 10:00 #267724 by hotseatgames
I thought I would like Blood Dragon, and really wanted to like it. The reality is that I found it boring as hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2018 10:03 #267726 by Black Barney
that's good to hear. I had downloaded it for free but never played it and always felt guilty about that.

More
18 Apr 2018 10:07 #267727 by Count Orlok
I've been taking a break from Into the Breach to play the game Slay the Spire. It's a deck builder with some roguelike elements (shocking for an indie game, I know), but it's a lot of fun. It has a good level or replayability with daily challenges and an increasing difficulty level mode. I'm pretty terrible at it, but I still keep coming back. For whatever reason I seem to go in bursts with three or four wins in a row followed by a dry spell. Each takes about an hour or so, so is a nice chance to get a quick game in when I have time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
18 Apr 2018 14:57 - 18 Apr 2018 15:02 #267766 by Disgustipater
Without playing any other Far Cry games, I tried Blood Dragon recently, and quickly realized that that type of game is not for me. I got bored with it during the intro, but figured I should at least get to the point where it opened up. As soon as it did, and started talking about hunting animals, I was done (not from an ethical point of view, just a waste of time point of view.) Of course it might be related to where I am right now and I just want bespoke experiences, but FPS open world games don’t seem like my thing.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2018 15:02 by Disgustipater.

More
18 Apr 2018 15:07 #267768 by Legomancer
Blood Dragon was about 20 minutes of funny 80s stuff in a multi-hour game. With some cringey-assed "humor" thrown in. I finished it, but it didn't make me curious about any other Fars Cry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
18 Apr 2018 19:34 - 18 Apr 2018 19:51 #267777 by Sevej
It's such an odd franchise.

The first was very different. A linear shooter with huge set pieces that feel sand box-ish. It's really great. Gorgeous graphic, good tactical choices, and great gunplay. That is, until you meet the killer apes.

The second was very different. It's their transition to open world. The malaria gimmick is SUPER annoying, worse than Arkham City's "you are going to die in 10 hours!" Then it yanked me off somewhere midgame and I never finished it.

3 was where it's at for the reason I stated. But the best thing was the sense of place. You feel that you are somewhere else. Not just the place, but the weird people also. If it were a linear game, it would get over the top really quickly. But its open world structure really let everything sink in with time. Just like a TV series.

@Pete: Always interested in Dying Light, just need a trigger.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2018 19:51 by Sevej.

More
19 Apr 2018 23:56 #267883 by hotseatgames
Played some Mortal Kombat 9 with a buddy, and man... this is such a better game than MKX. I love X, but 9 is so much more complete. Playing tag team is great. I can't believe they never added that to X.

More
20 Apr 2018 12:25 #267905 by SuperflyPete
Far Cry 2 is officially horrible. It’s a pick up and deliver game, but one that is not fun.

More
20 Apr 2018 12:31 #267907 by SuperflyPete

Sevej wrote: It's such an odd franchise.

The first was very different. A linear shooter with huge set pieces that feel sand box-ish. It's really great. Gorgeous graphic, good tactical choices, and great gunplay. That is, until you meet the killer apes.

The second was very different. It's their transition to open world. The malaria gimmick is SUPER annoying, worse than Arkham City's "you are going to die in 10 hours!" Then it yanked me off somewhere midgame and I never finished it.

3 was where it's at for the reason I stated. But the best thing was the sense of place. You feel that you are somewhere else. Not just the place, but the weird people also. If it were a linear game, it would get over the top really quickly. But its open world structure really let everything sink in with time. Just like a TV series.

@Pete: Always interested in Dying Light, just need a trigger.

Dying light is absolutely fantastic in every possible way. It is ~the~ perfect postapoc zombie game in the best ways; the ways that State of Decay sucked (read: combat). It doesn’t have the base building I like but the graphics are superb, the game is 100% kinetic, and the parkour aspects are done better than any other game I’ve played.

To me, it’s a 9.5 game. If it had base building without the loot grinding that makes me hate Fallout 4 a little bit, it would be THE perfect game.

Far Cry 4 (and even Primal) are great games because of the vast scale. The fast travel make it playable. It’s just “that kind” of game that matches setting and action so well. Can’t wait to finish the other Far Cry games just so I can justify buying 5.

More
22 Apr 2018 16:46 #267986 by Black Barney
Hey if I wanted to be able to play Mario Kart with Emily, what’s my best option? She has a 3DS and that’s it.

1) do I get a 3DS and then we play each other? This means buying a 3DS and Mario Kart

2) If i get a Switch, can we both play together when she’s over with a 2nd controller, or do I need a 2nd Switch?

3) should I just get a Wii U on the cheap with two controllers and Mario Kart?

All of these options kind of suck, maybe I should just find a decent arcade racer on Xbox One given I have that and the controllers already

More
22 Apr 2018 19:31 #267998 by the_jake_1973

Black Barney wrote: Hey if I wanted to be able to play Mario Kart with Emily, what’s my best option? She has a 3DS and that’s it.

1) do I get a 3DS and then we play each other? This means buying a 3DS and Mario Kart

2) If i get a Switch, can we both play together when she’s over with a 2nd controller, or do I need a 2nd Switch?

3) should I just get a Wii U on the cheap with two controllers and Mario Kart?

All of these options kind of suck, maybe I should just find a decent arcade racer on Xbox One given I have that and the controllers already

Burnout Paradise was remastered for Xbox One.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Apr 2018 19:32 #267999 by Gary Sax
Best arcade racing game ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
22 Apr 2018 19:59 #268001 by Black Barney
Better than Burnout Revenge? That game was the nuts

More
22 Apr 2018 20:06 #268002 by the_jake_1973
It is a half step down from Revenge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Apr 2018 17:03 #268069 by SuperflyPete
I am now 99% sure I will stop Far Cry 2. Jesus, what a grind

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds