October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
04 Sep 2015 09:22 - 04 Sep 2015 10:50 #209943 by Black Barney
Started Destiny last night, good fun. Level four titan. Scored a purple lvl 20 shotgun that looks really good. Playing with a scout rifle now which is great for headshots. Dying to get a good sniper rifle, I think that'll be my style if mass effect and halo are good metrics to go by.

Enjoying it so far but I really want to unlock everything in Duels Origins first...

edit: Mike, can you post the link to your review of MGS V when it's done? My buddy doesn't want to spend 75$ (before tax) on this game just yet but wants to read some better reviews that what he's been reading so far. He thinks you're a really good writer for some reason :)
Last edit: 04 Sep 2015 10:50 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2015 17:51 #210006 by Michael Barnes
I probably won't write a full review...I dunno, we'll see when I'm done with it.

Just tell him that you can level up your relationship with your horse and then make it poop on command. That should be enough to sway him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Sep 2015 17:59 #210007 by Black Barney
I haven't seen you this passionate about a game since whatever the last thing hipsters all jumped on. You totally should write a full review, you have lots to say and people want to read it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
04 Sep 2015 19:21 #210009 by Hex Sinister
It sounds freaking awesome. All I can say is the last one I played was dope. I was house sitting and rented a few "hot" titles to try out on my buddy's new PS3. I sampled a couple other games but once that MG disc went in the slot it never left. I had serious couchlock for three days straight. GOT to get a Playstation some day :/

More
05 Sep 2015 07:42 #210024 by Erik Twice

Black Barney wrote: I haven't seen you this passionate about a game since whatever the last thing hipsters all jumped on. You totally should write a full review, you have lots to say and people want to read it.

I agree, and you do have something to say, I really appreciate all the commentary on the game's ideas and themes that I'm sure most critics won't even mention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
05 Sep 2015 13:11 #210040 by hotseatgames
So last night and this morning I powered through an entire playthrough of Until Dawn on PS4. It is amazing how many little choices you are given that can change the story in subtle or major ways. I made several mistakes / choices that directly affected whether or not characters lived or died.

I'll absolutely be replaying it differently to see the impact. A very cool game.

Note that if you are looking for traditional "gameplay", there isn't much to be had. It's really more of a choose-your-own-adventure. But super well done.

More
06 Sep 2015 08:28 #210059 by Legomancer
I realized I had an unplayed not-kick-in-the-head platformer already: Lego Hobbit, so I fired that up. The Lego games aren't hard, but they have gotten a lot more convoluted. Still, having fun so far.

More
06 Sep 2015 10:16 #210064 by Chaz
The problem with the Lego LotR games is that they require you do all that "only the character that can do X special thing can unlock this thing" deal. Problem is that all the characters look essentially the same, but they each have different abilities. Oh, I need to break this rock, that means I need the hobbit with the reddish brown hair, not the one with brown hair. It's kind of a pain. And all the Lego games are buggy as hell. They're still nice little diversions, and I do like going back in free play to pick up all the hidden stuff.

I played the main mission of MGS Ground Zeroes last night, and got through the prologue of MGSV this morning. Holy shit, I don't know what the hell happened, but I like it.

More
06 Sep 2015 11:59 - 06 Sep 2015 12:01 #210070 by SebastianBludd

Chaz wrote: The problem with the Lego LotR games is that they require you do all that "only the character that can do X special thing can unlock this thing" deal. Problem is that all the characters look essentially the same, but they each have different abilities. Oh, I need to break this rock, that means I need the hobbit with the reddish brown hair, not the one with brown hair. It's kind of a pain. And all the Lego games are buggy as hell. They're still nice little diversions, and I do like going back in free play to pick up all the hidden stuff.

Lego Jurassic World is terrible in that respect. In the Lego Batman and Star Wars games the game would automatically fill out your Free Play roster upon level selection to insure that you had one of each available special ability. Lego Jurassic World does not do this; I've played the first Jurassic Park mission 3 times (once for Story, twice for Free Play) because the game didn't select anyone with the "iPad" ability the first time and I missed it. Not only that, but to get everything in Free Play missions you need to go to the dinosaur builder in the Jurassic World hub level and build a custom tiny dinosaur but give it a T-Rex head (for the T-Rex's roar ability). There is no indication anywhere you need to do this and I have no idea how you would ever figure it out.

I'm not a big fan of the free-roaming hubs, either. It's easy to get lost or confused about where to go next for the next Story mission and the in-game map is a study in icon vomit such that the missions get lost in a sea of side quest and collectible challenge symbols.

I've kind of got it figured out now but the game feels like it's nearly collapsed under the weight of the bolted on hub design and it's not very fun to drive a jeep 1/4 of an in-game mile just to get between missions. My boy keeps asking when we're going to do Free Play again but I'm not looking forward to the dinosaur crafting and the possibility of getting hosed on automatic Free Play roster-filling, again.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2015 12:01 by SebastianBludd.

More
06 Sep 2015 12:55 - 06 Sep 2015 12:55 #210073 by OldHippy

SebastianBludd wrote: ...There is no indication anywhere you need to do this and I have no idea how you would ever figure it out.

My son and I had a rough time with JW Lego similar to Avengers or the one we're playing now - Batman 3 - they're all the same shit really. What I do know is I just youtube everything. We play the games with my laptop right beside me. Anything I need to know is a youtube search away at any moment. Not the most elegant solution and certainly not a high recommendation for Lego games but it works well. After playing Jurassic World (the first one we did together and his only experience with the movies) together we decided to play all Lego games this way. It makes them a lot better. JW has a nifty teleport system and unlocking all the locations really cuts down on jeep time (I always use the gerbil ball myself).

The Lego games are great on the Wii U simply because he gets the TV and I get the game pad. Which is a pretty slick way to play two player with your son.

I don't know how much money these youtube guys make for putting out video after video about all of these games and showing people how to unlock every last friggin thing in the game but some of them have full un-skip-able commercials and are broken down into many, many parts each with over a million views. I think it's pretty lucrative.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2015 12:55 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
06 Sep 2015 13:04 #210074 by Chaz
The thing that kills me about the Lego games is how frequently I have to figure out if I can't progress because I haven't figured out the puzzle, or because I found a glitch. I've gotten stuck in walls, objects, and empty air more times in Lego games than I have in all other games combined.

More
06 Sep 2015 13:24 #210075 by OldHippy
The first ones I played were the Star Wars original trilogy on my Nintendo DS ... the buggiest game of all time. Today's Lego games are smooth by comparison.

More
06 Sep 2015 13:32 #210076 by Chaz
They've gotten better. But that's a pretty low bar.

More
06 Sep 2015 14:53 #210077 by jeb
In their defense, the PS2 Lego Star Wars games were fucking great. Sorry you all are having such a rough time. I'd no idea they'd gotten so buggy! They were really solid titles back in the day (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones).

My son's got his TRAP TEAM SKYLANDERS going and it's sick as hell. The little trapped guys talking in the portal? Ugh, it's magic, MAGIC I TELL YOU.

More
06 Sep 2015 15:22 #210078 by iguanaDitty
Lego Marvel is pretty fantastic and my daughter and i got lots of mileage out of it. Lots of cool girl super heroes too. The open world is great.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.911 seconds