October 09, 2023
2477 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2682 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
02 Oct 2015 17:03 #211807 by the_jake_1973
He also has an alt Halloween skin figure, but I don't know if it is properly represented in-game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2015 18:11 #211809 by Michael Barnes
Yep, I think it's a Gamestop exclusive...he's more of a pumpkin head dude and it is in the game. But I think the sugar skull is much cooler. Especially since he blasts mariachi music. I love the animation and style of this guy.

Some of the other new characters look really good too...there's this shield guy that has a 70s muscle car style vehicle, like an old Plymouth or something. I may accidentally buy that set.

More
02 Oct 2015 22:52 #211813 by Gary Sax
Mario Maker is fascinating because it makes you *really* think in great depth about a very simple set of variables and how to arrange them in the context of a 2d platformer. If only the controller wasn't garbage for precise platforming.

More
03 Oct 2015 08:56 #211822 by hotseatgames
You can play it with the pro controller.

More
05 Oct 2015 16:29 - 05 Oct 2015 16:39 #211928 by OldHippy
So our Best Buy card came in a few days ago and Sunderland and I headed out to pick up Skylanders Superchargers. As we were walking into the store he was jumping up and down; "I'M SO EXCITING!". We got the base pack (with Donkey Kong) and an sea and air vehicle so we can do pretty much anything. I love some of the character design... Fiesta is probably my favourite right now but there's a few others I really like too.

But what's shocked me the most is the variety of play styles going on. I've raced, done vehicle based platforming that is VERY different from the racing (both done on land, sea and in the air), done normal 3D action platforming which is the staple of the series and even done some interesting 2D platforming that was done in an interesting artsy style. None of the 2D stuff was awesome but it ranged from two characters walking left to right to 1942 style top down shooter and sideways submarine work that was kind of like when Mario goes underwater - all in a story book format where you learn about the Skylands past. Add to this the challenges back at the academy, the excellent card game Skystones and who knows what else might be in store for me. I really loved Trapmasters for a number of reasons but I think Superchargers may be even better.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2015 16:39 by OldHippy.

More
05 Oct 2015 16:52 - 05 Oct 2015 16:52 #211932 by Michael Barnes
I walked into Gamestop today looking for used Short Cut and Gearshift and they had an loose E3 exclusive Hot Streak...this is the car that comes in the PS4/Xbox starter, but it's all done up in glittery reds and yellows. It sells for about $50-$60 on eBay in the package. I bought it for $8, after some credit I had lingering on my rewards card. I just flipped it for $40.

I also ordered a Tuff Luck from a place on eBay that was selling them for $7.99 shipped. I got it Saturday, and opened it up and was shocked that it was a clear figure. These are apparently really rare chase variants, the place probably didn't know what it was and just sold it along with normal Tuff Lucks. I just flipped it for $55.

So that all paid for several other figures, that worked out nicely!

I haven't played much more SuperChargers, I got my $20 Trap Team starter in and I've actually played it a little more...but I do think SuperChargers looks better. The traps are such a neat idea...but DAMN, "that's where they get ya". You need one trap for every villain, and there's like 50 of them. So I'm going to settle for one of each type of trap and the kids can switch 'em out.

On SuperChargers, the gotcha is that there are NO elemental gates for figures. Which sounds great at first. But the gating is on the VEHICLES this time. Ugh!

I'm trying REALLY HARD not to go balls out on it like I did last year...sticking to four Trap Masters and one each of the vehicle types...but there's those mini figures too...I think we're up to about 70 figures now. I think I said it before, but these things appeal directly to the part of me that got really into M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts and all that kind of stuff.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2015 16:52 by Michael Barnes.

More
05 Oct 2015 19:45 #211960 by SaMoKo
Bloodborne: Playing 'dis because I finally had time to buy a new PS4 and actually play some games on it rather than have it sit on the shelf. As far as Souls games go, it has some of the best and worst I've seen in the series. The combat is fast, fun, and just as visceral as it's always been, bringing more character-action style timing and reflexes into the mix. Defensive play from the earlier games is a mistake, gotta rapidly shift into heavy aggression on a dime. I love it.

The theme of the game is a noticeable sidestep from the rest of the series. Instead of wandering a dead world, you're right in the middle of one that's dying, populated with people that slowly devolve as the situation worsens. The setting retains all of the mystery and subtlety of the previous games, but there's a sense of immediacy to the world which makes it somewhat more interesting than wandering through a dead wax museum.

The grinding element on bullets and blood is frustrating beyond belief. The prior systems of Estus recharge and parrying whenever the hell you want were perfect and didn't require fucking. I can't think of a single thing these add to the game beyond tedium. Next, the Frenzy status is outstandingly terrible.

Fifa 16 - Rock solid football game. I get why some prefer PES, which feels more like a classic style game. FIFA is going into a more slow, methodical route which I think feels more like the sport. Still, not as clear a victor over it's competition as the 2K series has dominated NBA Live. Other than that it's, well, you know, FIFA. You know if you like it or not by now.

Mario Maker - An outstanding set of tools to create Mario levels of unparalleled quality, and proof that a million monkeys on a million typewriters can't match Nintendo at doing just that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Oct 2015 20:10 - 05 Oct 2015 20:10 #211961 by Gary Sax
Grinding for blood vials is REAL dumb. Completely agree.

Also, we appear to have very similar taste in videogames.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2015 20:10 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
05 Oct 2015 22:13 #211965 by hotseatgames
The Rainbow Six: Siege beta is over, and I am sad.

More
06 Oct 2015 05:51 #211969 by Sevej

hotseatgames wrote: The Rainbow Six: Siege beta is over, and I am sad.

Is it good? I had a beta access, but was too busy playing with my daughter.

More
06 Oct 2015 07:58 #211972 by R.P.Kraul

SaMoKo wrote: The grinding element on bullets and blood is frustrating beyond belief. The prior systems of Estus recharge and parrying whenever the hell you want were perfect and didn't require fucking. I can't think of a single thing these add to the game beyond tedium. Next, the Frenzy status is outstandingly terrible.

In almost every way, Bloodborne is an excellent game. But it's tedious. You soon figure out that once you defeat a boss, you're going to be farming vials in a new area. Despite all the positives in the game, I gave up on it. Just too much rinse and repeat.

More
06 Oct 2015 08:25 #211973 by Gary Sax
Once you get 2/3 of the way through the game, you can get enough blood through just a few kills in an area to get like 30 vials (particularly with the runes that increase soul return), so the grinding mostly ends. But it's still a poor design decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
06 Oct 2015 09:36 #211983 by hotseatgames

Sevej wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: The Rainbow Six: Siege beta is over, and I am sad.

Is it good? I had a beta access, but was too busy playing with my daughter.

I loved it, but I'm also a lifetime Rainbow Six fan. It's very different from all the other games, mainly because it's focused on tight quarters fighting and attack / defend situations. Terrorist Hunt is fantastic, and suicide bombers will ruin your day.

Being able to blow holes in walls / floors or just plain shoot through some walls really changes strategy and makes you feel very vulnerable a lot of times. It's great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
06 Oct 2015 15:38 #212012 by Feelitmon
I've been playing a bit of the Star Wars Battlefront beta. By all means, if you're not partial to beta-testing games then at least check out some of the video footage from the open beta. The art, animation, sound, music, and level design are all top notch. You'll hear the crunch of your boots in the snow on Hoth, see the snow sparkle when you catch the sun at just the right angle, dive for cover as a screaming TIE fighter strafes your trench, and feel the AT-AT stomping steadily closer to your position.

I don't know too much about the game, such as if it has a single player campaign. But so far it's wonderful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Black Barney

More
09 Oct 2015 00:26 #212199 by Michael Barnes
I just played the SWBF beta for about 10'minutes. Signed off and put the money down on PSN for the deluxe edition. Fucking great.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.508 seconds