October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Nov 2015 10:22 - 14 Nov 2015 10:22 #215031 by ThirstyMan
Wow, Sevej that looks super cool. I immediately went out and bought it.

I'm playing Trails in the Sky at the moment, a JRPG but quite a big and extensive one.

It's super cheesy on relationships like all (as far as I know) JRPGs but I quite like it for some unknown reason. I can't play it for longer than about 30 minutes though before my tolerance for cheesy conversations goes into the red zone. Somehow, I still like it.

Recommending Invisible Inc. It's a stealth game, turn based though so a bit X Comish. Very fun.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2015 10:22 by ThirstyMan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2015 10:32 #215032 by Gary Sax
Downloading Pikmin 3 right now. I'll beat a dead horse by saying I hate the Wii U so, so much as a piece of hardware. It doesn't download in the background while powered down/at rest and by default it turns itself off after an hour of non-use. Awesome.

More
14 Nov 2015 10:42 - 14 Nov 2015 11:46 #215033 by hotseatgames
So I wanted to try the "Slasher" mode for GTA Online but for the life of me I can't figure out how to access it. Every time I load up GTA Online it's just me walking around the street like normal. How do I get into it?

edit- Never mind, I figured it out. That game mode was underwhelming to say the least. Would probably be cool with a full suite of players but matchmaking took forever.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2015 11:46 by hotseatgames.

More
15 Nov 2015 09:42 #215059 by Sevej

ThirstyMan wrote: Wow, Sevej that looks super cool. I immediately went out and bought it.

Whoa, I hope I don't mislead you there. The game does look nice but the screenshot was made in postcard mode specifically for that purpose. I really enjoy the game, but it can turn into a slog particularly at late stage.

More
16 Nov 2015 18:32 #215190 by Josh Look
Alright, it's done. I've ordered a PS4 with the Uncharted collection. What else should I pick up?

More
16 Nov 2015 18:58 #215192 by Michael Barnes
Well I'm pretty sure that BattleFront: Star Wars is a no-brainer for you. Mine is preloaded and ready for midnight.

Two of the best games to have come out in the past decade released this year on PS4, MGSV and Bloodborne. But know what you are getting into on both counts. MGSV is a huge commitment that pays off in triplicate if you've played the past MGS games. If you haven't...it's still an amazing open world action/stealth game with plenty of quirk and weirdness. Bloodborne is what a Castlevania game made today would look and play like. Or should, at least. Incredible game that really isn't as "hard" as everyone makes it out to be. We're not talking Super Star Wars or Super Ghouls and Ghosts here. But you do have to learn to play well.

On the cheap, Wolfenstein: The New Order is a really fun shooter.

Oh, and then there's Destiny. Which is really, really great. But here again- plan on spending time with it.

Uncharted...the second one is definitely the best. There are lots of really great moments and some fun stuff in them, good character writing. But the games rely way too much on murdering THOUSANDS of dudes. All of the cool exploration, Indiana Jones stuff is undermined by all the butchery. There's a hilarious bit in the first one where Nathan Drake calls out the boss for murdering all of these people. Like maybe 20. When the body count at that point for you, the player is nearing quadruple digits. They're all worth playing through one time and then never thinking about them again. I'll definitely Gamefly the 4th one, no way I'm going to buy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
16 Nov 2015 19:09 #215193 by OldHippy
I finally got Super Mario Maker... I love it.

That's the short of it, I'll probably pop back in later to say more but seeing the bones of Mario makes you realize just how awesome all those older games are. I knew it already but it's more obvious now. So far all I've done is play the ten mario levels challenge and a couple of on line levels that were pretty damned weak. But I'm very excited about the prospects here and I had a blast killing time making a couple of levels myself.

I'm very anxious to learn more about how to get the most out of this game. Who are the best creators and how to I search and find them. I need to learn more but the game practically begs me to put in the effort because there is a lot of content available if you put in the effort and I feel it will be worth it. Luckily the net can really cut down on that time so I'm off to google best levels and best creators and see what I can find... or maybe I'll just waste a few more hours making a level for kicks-perhaps something for my son to play that's nice and easy.

More
16 Nov 2015 19:36 #215194 by Hex Sinister
I got to watch my godson play some Fallout 4. Visually quite nice and it looks pretty smooth to play but I didn't see any innovation at all. I hope I'm wrong about that but it looked exactly like the same 'ol shit. Even the songs were the same. If I have to listen to 'choppin' that meat' or whatever one more time I'll hang myself.

I'll probably get it anyway...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Nov 2015 19:45 - 16 Nov 2015 19:53 #215196 by Josh Look

Michael Barnes wrote: Well I'm pretty sure that BattleFront: Star Wars is a no-brainer for you. Mine is preloaded and ready for midnight.

Two of the best games to have come out in the past decade released this year on PS4, MGSV and Bloodborne. But know what you are getting into on both counts. MGSV is a huge commitment that pays off in triplicate if you've played the past MGS games. If you haven't...it's still an amazing open world action/stealth game with plenty of quirk and weirdness. Bloodborne is what a Castlevania game made today would look and play like. Or should, at least. Incredible game that really isn't as "hard" as everyone makes it out to be. We're not talking Super Star Wars or Super Ghouls and Ghosts here. But you do have to learn to play well.

On the cheap, Wolfenstein: The New Order is a really fun shooter.

Oh, and then there's Destiny. Which is really, really great. But here again- plan on spending time with it.

Uncharted...the second one is definitely the best. There are lots of really great moments and some fun stuff in them, good character writing. But the games rely way too much on murdering THOUSANDS of dudes. All of the cool exploration, Indiana Jones stuff is undermined by all the butchery. There's a hilarious bit in the first one where Nathan Drake calls out the boss for murdering all of these people. Like maybe 20. When the body count at that point for you, the player is nearing quadruple digits. They're all worth playing through one time and then never thinking about them again. I'll definitely Gamefly the 4th one, no way I'm going to buy it.

There's a Star Wars Battlefront bundle coming out tomorrow, but I decided to go with the Uncharted one anyway. I had a PS3 for 5 minutes years ago and played the first one. I really enjoyed it, pretty ridiculous, but I thought it made it pretty hard to take it seriously. Three games instead of one seemed better, Star Wars or no. I'll get it eventually, I'm sure.

I'm pretty much going to have to hold off until Christmas for any other games for it, but I had Diablo 3 and Arkham Knight on my wishlist. Added Bloodborne. I'll have to look more into Destiny, but I'll probably end up getting it to see what the fuss is all about. Really want New Order.

I like MGS 1&3, but on a whole not into the series.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2015 19:53 by Josh Look.

More
16 Nov 2015 19:49 #215197 by Michael Barnes
How could I leave out Diablo III...for a long, long time my PS4 was a $400 Diablo III player.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
16 Nov 2015 20:26 - 16 Nov 2015 20:27 #215199 by Black Barney

Josh Look wrote: Alright, it's done. I've ordered a PS4 with the Uncharted collection. What else should I pick up?

Let's see...

GTA V
The Last of Us remastered
Journey
Flower
Witcher III
MGS V
Diablo III
Shovel Knight
Bloodborne

In that order too
Last edit: 16 Nov 2015 20:27 by Black Barney.

More
17 Nov 2015 08:46 #215224 by Legomancer

Hex Sinister wrote: I got to watch my godson play some Fallout 4. Visually quite nice and it looks pretty smooth to play but I didn't see any innovation at all. I hope I'm wrong about that but it looked exactly like the same 'ol shit. Even the songs were the same. If I have to listen to 'choppin' that meat' or whatever one more time I'll hang myself.

I'll probably get it anyway...

Started Fallout 4 last night. I'm not sure what people want in "innovation". It's an exploring shooter. There are new people to meet, new places to go, new things to do. I loved FO3 so the same ol' shit is fine with me. I don't need a rapping granny or twerking contest to make it more innovative.

And honestly, the settlement building, which is a genuinely new addition, holds the least interest to me and I'll probably ignore it the first time through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
17 Nov 2015 09:52 #215228 by the_jake_1973
I'm halfway through Tomb Raider. The story and scenery is decent, and really that should be the draw for the game as it is fairly easy. I could see it being much harder if I chose not to work out Lara's aggression over her father's death at the hands of Trinity by killing every merc that moves. Survivor mode is really the only mode to play. I doubt I am going to get into the trading cards and mission stuff that allows you to replay areas for a higher score. The game will be enjoyed and traded for FO4 or NFS soon.

More
17 Nov 2015 11:32 #215233 by SuperflyPete
I still have a backlog:

1. Finishing Wasteland 2
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Divinity series
4. Shadowun: HongKong
5. The GW stuff I got in the Humble Bundle

And to be honest, they can all fuck right off because the only thing I want to play right now is Fallout 4. Which i don't have. Which I don't have a system to run it on.

Christmas, this year, is going to be an XBOX1 and Fallout 4. And that's if I get a bonus. If not, then I'm doing what I always do...waiting until the hardware price drops by 100$ two years from now, buying it and the GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION Fallout 4, (and Battlefront), and crying daily listening to people talk about how awesome it is.

More
17 Nov 2015 11:40 #215235 by hotseatgames
Pete- what are your thoughts on Wasteland 2?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.009 seconds