October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
01 Feb 2016 13:55 #221289 by Jexik

Josh Look wrote: I don't recall how I became interested in The Last Story since I usually despise JRPGs, but man am I glad I did. Just finished it last night, enjoyed it very much. Decent enough story but the combat was terrific, and that's where the genre always loses me. I loved FFVI and Chrono Trigger in high school, but the combination of that boring combat system and emphasis on FMVs over compelling gameplay (see FFVII, aka Officially The Worst Thing To Happen to Gaming Until the Advent of Day One DLC). But I digress, this game was fun and would like more games like it.

Yeah, VII is the worst. I was a little younger than you when I played VI/CT, but CT was one of my favorite games. It looks like they brought back the same music guy as well. I don't own a Wii U so the chance of me playing this anytime soon is near zero. If I do get one, I'll check this out, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2016 13:55 #221290 by metalface13

Black Barney wrote: Could they go underground? I can't remember.

My favourite unit was those airships. I had so much fun shuttling armies around the map. AND they fight! Well, I guess my favourite unit were knights actually cuz my airship stacks would contain:

1 airship
1 hero/wizard
the rest are knights. I loved knocking down castle doors with the knights.

Favourite spell of course was Mana Mastery (or whatever it was called) that changed all the wells to your colour. Talk about a game ender.

...uh oh, I'm getting a little heavy into the AoW2 talk. Here's something for everyone else. See how the T-Rex was actually nature's stealth hunter!

No, you can never talk to heavily about turn-based strategy games. NEVER.

Oh yeah the mole could tunnel. Tunnel like a boss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 Feb 2016 15:13 - 01 Feb 2016 15:19 #221293 by Erik Twice
Talk about a turnaround, I decided to start over in Endless Legend and now it's a lot of fun! I almost always played One City Challenges in Civilization V so I'm playing the Cultists. I was more or less left alone for a while and got a good city going but the tech gal up North started attacking my villages. I went and razed two of her cities in retailiation and killed two of her heroes but she still doesn't bulge. Even worse, despite having just annihilated half of her empire she still asks me to pay her money for a truce. I hate when that happens, it's one of the most frustrating design oversights you can have in a game of this kind. It's caused by an overly simply "strenght" calculation that obviously fails when one of the players involved has only one city.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2016 15:19 by Erik Twice.

More
01 Feb 2016 16:04 #221297 by hotseatgames
I'm on mission 30 of Metal Gear Solid V. This one is finally a quality mission after several that were just plainly not fun. It's extremely challenging though. I refuse to equip the chicken hat.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is still fun. I have the most fun with it when they aren't tasking me to kill people. If I wanted that I'd play Gears of War.

More
01 Feb 2016 16:05 #221298 by Black Barney
You kill genocidal aliens in Gears. It's either those Locusts or you. Also, you're military.

Gears of War - killing with purpose.

More
01 Feb 2016 16:24 #221299 by KingPut
I'm planning on buying Slitherines Order of Battle: Morning Sun. This is sort of a Panzer General type game Japan vs China 1936
to ?

More
01 Feb 2016 18:08 #221303 by repoman
yah I was eyeballin' that too, Put.

More
01 Feb 2016 20:35 #221315 by hotseatgames

Black Barney wrote: You kill genocidal aliens in Gears. It's either those Locusts or you. Also, you're military.

I certainly didn't mean that in a pejorative manner towards Gears. I'm a Gears fan. I'm just saying in Tomb Raider I'd rather raid tombs. Kind of like how the gunplay sucked in Mirror's Edge. Thankfully it was removed in the upcoming sequel.

More
01 Feb 2016 21:17 #221318 by Black Barney
Ah sorry. I took it as the usual Mike Barnes-like whining

Yeah, gunplay in games like mirrors edge, tomb raider and especially Alien Isolation is just terrible

More
01 Feb 2016 22:33 #221324 by hotseatgames
Hand of Fate is free on Xbox One. That game is cool! Surprisingly bad frame rate at times, considering the crude graphics.

More
02 Feb 2016 01:57 #221329 by KingPut

repoman wrote: yah I was eyeballin' that too, Put.

If you haven't tried Order of Battle: Pacific. I'd get that one first. I personally really liked how they approached the carrier battles. Morning Sun. Is probably all land battles.

More
02 Feb 2016 08:43 #221340 by Legomancer

hotseatgames wrote:

Black Barney wrote: You kill genocidal aliens in Gears. It's either those Locusts or you. Also, you're military.

I certainly didn't mean that in a pejorative manner towards Gears. I'm a Gears fan. I'm just saying in Tomb Raider I'd rather raid tombs. Kind of like how the gunplay sucked in Mirror's Edge. Thankfully it was removed in the upcoming sequel.

Tomb Raider was a huge disappointment for this reason, and my major complaints on Fallout 4 stem from it. Stuff added on for the sheer sake of adding stuff on, such as pointless crafting, getting in the way of what players go to these games for. No one played a Tomb Raider game and thought, "okay, but instead of raiding tombs and working around traps and stuff, I'd rather kill wave after wave of faceless bad guys." (And then to put in an unintentionally hilarious weepy-ass "oh no I've taken a human life!" cutscene, literally seconds before a fight where you have to use a flaming arrow to set people on fire?) Fallout 4 doesn't trip up as much as TR did, but there's definitely a feeling of "why did we spend development time on *this* instead of other areas where it could have been used?"

More
02 Feb 2016 23:25 #221509 by hotseatgames
Just beat the main storyline of Metal Gear Solid V. I loved the end of the credits. I'll probably take a break from it and then go back in for more, since there is quite a bit left.

While there are certainly missions in that game that I could have done without, overall it is just fantastic.

More
04 Feb 2016 08:40 #221644 by Black Barney
For Xbox one owners, Hand of fate is free this month. People on this site will probably like it.

Swapper is on special for three bucks. It's a must at that price

Also on special, some dungeon board game. I forget the name. Random dungeon ? Dungeon twister? Endless dungeon ?

More
04 Feb 2016 08:50 #221645 by the_jake_1973
Armello is $15 on Steam. Good stuff.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds