October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
04 Feb 2016 08:55 #221647 by hotseatgames
After cruising through the first 3 bosses in Hand of Fate, the 4th one kicked it into gear. I defeated him with only 13 health left. Admittedly I was rather ill-equipped to take on the boss but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I really like this game. The enemy voice acting.... let's just say the budget was spent on the dealer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, iguanaDitty, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2016 11:49 - 04 Feb 2016 11:51 #221678 by iguanaDitty
I am slow rolling my way through Hand of Fate, taking on the next boss every few days. Feel like I could burn out on it pretty quickly otherwise. Still loving it - it's so cool to see what new cards do and the narration and text are just spot on. Combat is probably too easy as even I am good at it, but honestly that's refreshing for me in an action based combat. But it's starting to get harder with mages and ranged attacks and they add a whole new dimension to things.

I have stalled out on my Witcher 3 playthrough. Everything is just so bleak. Well done! but damn if I don't really want to be in that world any more. I haven't quite made it to Triss yet so maybe she opens up something other than death and destruction.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 11:51 by iguanaDitty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
04 Feb 2016 12:44 - 04 Feb 2016 12:52 #221681 by OldHippy
I installed the new DLC for Super Smash Bros last night (one of the best Wii U games and probably one of the best games out right now period) mainly because it has Bayonetta as a playable character. Although I've bought most of the others too just because we play that one a lot. Bayonetta is awesome, they did a great job on her. It feels like Bayonetta yet it's all 2D obviously. Fantastic job at keeping the feel the same despite the huge change in setting and format. The other stuff is just ok, I probably wasted 20$ on the stupid thing but I had to have Bayonetta and we make a LOT of Mii fighters at home because my son loves the creation process probably as much as the fighting itself. Every family member has a Mii fighter in the game, Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, Dad, Uncle Chris, his girlfriend... the list goes on.

I also picked up Endless Legends thanks to some of the people here talking about it. I love Civ type games but was very sick of Civilization itself and this is a nice substitute. It's a little more complex than I normally like but I'm having a good time with it. I only ever have one or two games a year on my laptop since it's supposed to be just for music creation. Last year it was Tropico (3 or 4 or .. something) which I was digging but it's gotten kind of boring now so the timing was right. Endless Legend it is. Interesting game if you can give it a chance. Strangely I normally prefer games with epilepsy warnings, flashing lights, non-stop action, living mazes... it's kind of a bench mark for me, but if I'm not playing those I like Civ type games or TBS games. Which are almost the polar opposite.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 12:52 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Feb 2016 16:34 #221712 by Black Barney

iguanaDitty wrote:
I have stalled out on my Witcher 3 playthrough. Everything is just so bleak. Well done! but damn if I don't really want to be in that world any more. .

You know what? I never could figure out why I stopped playing Skyrim. I really enjoy those kinds of games but I just stopped playing it all of a sudden and I think you nailed it. I think I got sick of being in that bleak winter. I live in Canada after all and those aren't the months you're walking around with a big smile on your face.

I never got sick of Oblivion's world cuz it was so beautiful, both day and night. But other than the long climb to the Mages' guild, I didn't enjoy walking around the snowy Skyrim world that much. I wonder why I didn't get sick of Fallout 3's area at all. Must be because of the urban areas and rivers which I always found fun and challenging.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
05 Feb 2016 14:02 #221815 by hotseatgames
Unexpectedly, a steam sale started today. I picked up The Talos Principle for $10. I've wanted to play that one for a long time.

More
05 Feb 2016 19:07 #221840 by iguanaDitty

Black Barney wrote: I think I got sick of being in that bleak winter. I live in Canada after all and those aren't the months you're walking around with a big smile on your face.

I grew up in Sault Ste Marie Michigan which is, as you might expect, just across the river from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. I can't tell you how happy I am now to not deal with those winters any more.

As for Fallout, I couldn't get into that either partly I think because of the unrelenting grays and browns. Also I am starting to think I just have a time limit to enjoy any open world game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
05 Feb 2016 20:59 #221841 by Wetworks
I put about 5 hrs into Xcom 2 last night. What a great game, lots of improvements over the already excellent Enemy Unknown. The maps are all randomly generated, they changed the strategy layer so you are building your underground network all over the globe. I like this much better than defending countries and being forced to put up satellites from the first game.

The game is graphically impressive, although you might have to turn down a few settings. I'm getting around 60fps with a 970 with mostly high settings. This is by far the best tactics game I've played over the past several years.

More
06 Feb 2016 09:10 #221850 by Black Barney
Make sure to level up your sniper....and name him after me :)

More
06 Feb 2016 12:07 #221853 by Gary Sax
I have heard great things about xcom 2---I'll have to try it. Though I don't know if my video card can handle it.

More
06 Feb 2016 19:15 #221864 by Erik Twice
Just when I was starting to have fun with Endless Legend the game starts to break down. It's really not well balanced, I barely understand the game and I'm finding trivial to snowball like crazy because a lot of stuff is overpowered. Luxuries stack and you can buy one that gives you 50% science, another that gives you 20% on all resources and another that gives you +50% gold. It's ridiculous and gets crazy when you stack it with the three or four +10-30% science buildings or the two different techs that give you +100% science. Same with gold. Actually it's even more powerful with gold, because it's more versatile.

The AI also doesn't seem to update his armies. I thought it was just because I was playing on Normal but I raised the difficulty and find that researching a couple weapon techs is enough to wipe out everyone. Weird. :/

More
06 Feb 2016 21:05 - 06 Feb 2016 21:07 #221873 by Wetworks

Black Barney wrote: Make sure to level up your sniper....and name him after me :)

I'll name him Black Barney and make him look like Richard Simmons.

Gary Sax wrote: I have heard great things about xcom 2---I'll have to try it. Though I don't know if my video card can handle it.

Minimum is 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or better.

Recommended is 2GB ATI Radeon HD 7970, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or better.

If you have a decent card you should be able to run it, might have to lower some settings. It's a turn based game so sub 60 frame rates is not as big a deal compared to other games.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 21:07 by Wetworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Feb 2016 14:58 - 07 Feb 2016 15:01 #221913 by ThirstyMan

Black Barney wrote: Make sure to level up your sniper stalker....and name him after me :)

Corrected, you're welcome
Last edit: 07 Feb 2016 15:01 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
07 Feb 2016 16:52 #221921 by Jexik

Wetworks wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Make sure to level up your sniper....and name him after me :)

I'll name him Black Barney and make him look like Richard Simmons.

Gary Sax wrote: I have heard great things about xcom 2---I'll have to try it. Though I don't know if my video card can handle it.

Minimum is 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or better.

Recommended is 2GB ATI Radeon HD 7970, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or better.

If you have a decent card you should be able to run it, might have to lower some settings. It's a turn based game so sub 60 frame rates is not as big a deal compared to other games.

Well, looks like my 6 year old machine won't run it... Sitting on a 512 MB video card. Enemy Unknown ruled.

More
07 Feb 2016 17:47 #221923 by Black Barney
After getting the 500 online wins in Magic Duels, I've started trying other stuff...

A Clockwork Tale, point and click Adventure. Pretty bad.

Pneuma Breath of Live - A myst like puzzler. Finished it. It was ok.

The swapper, enjoying this so far.

After this maybe I'll try Battle Islands or The Deer God, which I hear is awful

More
09 Feb 2016 12:07 #222067 by Legomancer
Finished The Witness. Well, not 100%, but finished anyhow. I liked it; it was a nice change of pace for me. Wait for a sale, though, and if you don't like the journey on it then definitely do not hang on for the destination.

I then bought the Uncharted collection and will start on it tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.534 seconds