October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
03 Jan 2017 02:01 #241704 by SaMoKo
With some time off to dive into by backlog a bit, I've found myself hopelessly addicted to Total Warhammer and haven't had time for anything else. Welp!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2017 07:59 #241705 by JEM
I've been relaxing a lot with Spintires, when not losing my logs. A game about generally being stuck in mud and crawling at 5mph should be frustrating but every slight forward movement seems like an achievement. The missions are straightforward, but I kept losing them because I was sure I knew better than to follow the trails, when the route through the forest looks so much straighter.

I also bought Mad Max in the Steam sale but I'm already bored with it after the first driving mission.

More
03 Jan 2017 17:24 #241740 by DukeofChutney
DOOM!

Got it in the steam sale. Man ALIVE! such gratuitous violence. So heavy metal. I thought Titanfall 2 was without question shooter of the year, now, I dunno, its going to be close.

Also been playing Homeworlds Deserts of Karak, pretty impressed with that too.

More
03 Jan 2017 17:36 #241741 by Vlad

SaMoKo wrote: With some time off to dive into by backlog a bit, I've found myself hopelessly addicted to Total Warhammer and haven't had time for anything else. Welp!

I've finally bought Total Warhammer, and it runs really bad on my computer unless you make it look like it is Shogun (the 1st one, not the sequel). Still, it feels very authentic, and I kinda feel more drawn to it than the historical counterparts. I got Emperor Franz killed in the 2nd skirmish... is he coming back?

More
03 Jan 2017 17:47 #241743 by Vlad

DukeofChutney wrote: DOOM!

I don't get the new Doom. I mean, it is good, unlike everyone expected it to be, and has a lot of crazy awesomeness (like the attitude, level design, weapons).
But, what I find amazing is that 20+ years later, it cannot replicate things that made the original Doom great. Like, the monsters in Doom are always there. Even when they teleport to you, it is from another physical location on the map, not from nothingness. And their numbers can be staggering. And they leave their bodies behind (no disintegrations). And the designs in the new Doom are not as colorful and iconic. And I really like the cleverness behind finding secrets, but it is incredibly pace breaking. Like, you get this crazy mindless shoot-out and then spend 5 minutes in thoughtful almost graphic-adventure-like puzzle solving. And you really feel like if you're not going to solve the puzzle you'll be missing something.
Anyways, just a rant. I acknowledge the merits of the new Doom and I like it, but don't love it.

More
04 Jan 2017 10:25 #241782 by Columbob

Vlad wrote:

SaMoKo wrote: With some time off to dive into by backlog a bit, I've found myself hopelessly addicted to Total Warhammer and haven't had time for anything else. Welp!

I've finally bought Total Warhammer, and it runs really bad on my computer unless you make it look like it is Shogun (the 1st one, not the sequel). Still, it feels very authentic, and I kinda feel more drawn to it than the historical counterparts. I got Emperor Franz killed in the 2nd skirmish... is he coming back?

If it's anything like the End Times, then the answer is yes.

More
04 Jan 2017 11:34 #241795 by hotseatgames
I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online a bit more... I like that game. It's Oblivion-level ugly, but there is a lot of Skyrim hiding in there. I don't care for how quickly enemies respawn. I suppose that's an MMO for you. I expect I'll be playing for quite some time.

Here's a VR update for you:
Job Simulator - I've only played one part of this, and it's a mildly entertaining experience. It goes on a bit long. I suppose it's a good demo of what VR can do.
Aon's Call - I think I'm getting the name right. This is a sword and shield dungeon crawl where you fight skeletons. The room-scale experience is fantastic, and I unfortunately found myself running into the limitations of my play space quite often. At one point I was holding off two enemies at my front with my shield while randomly stabbing at an enemy behind me with my sword. Super cool! Also, you pick up loot by stabbing it.
Portal Stories - I only played through a few puzzles. None of which involved portals. meh
Onward - This is 4v4 VR Counter-Strike, essentially. You have to actually release the magazine on your firearm, grab a new one from your vest, slap it in, and rack it. Doing this while someone is shooting at you... well I haven't managed it yet. In fact I got shot while trying to get my sidearm. This one is unique because instead of the normal teleport movement, you slowly slide your thumb across the touch pad. This can make your stomach lurch a bit, but I have found that if you focus on the guy in front of you, who will appear stationary since he is moving as well, it's better. Crouching (which you do by actually crouching) also helps since you move slower. This one has potential if I can develop some skill. I have played for two hours and got a single kill.

More
04 Jan 2017 16:39 #241812 by Michael Barnes
I haven't been doing much video gaming lately, but when I do video game...it's DOOM. Good grief is that game great. The genius of it is that it is 100% full throttle DOOM as you remember it, but of course modernized and brought up to date to current standards. It's FAST, obnoxious, possibly morally compromising, gory, unrepentantly Satanic, and LOUD. Seriously, I've got the game turned down to half master volume and it's STILL TOO LOUD on my TV. Let alone that it makes the PS4 rev up like a jet engine.

It has actual level design that isn't like a carnival dark ride- you have to look around, explore, find secrets, and all of that like in the olden days. KEY CARDS. There are also various challenges including some very Platinum/Sega style events that are addictive and fun. The weapons are what you remember, but they all upgrade along a couple of paths so you have options. The glory kills are great, they encourage you to get into the middle of the fight instead of strafing around, hiding. The gore is so over the top it's more laughable than repellent.

I also really like how there are tons of ways to play, including a really fun arcade mode. I haven't even tried the multiplayer game yet, there is enough single player content here to fill up five other AAA games.

You've got to play it on harder difficulty levels to get the full effect. It gets pretty darn tough, but it's a good and rewarding kind of difficulty. You just kind of laugh when you get utterly slaughtered.

I don't know if I ever need another shooter, seriously. Overwatch may be cuter, Titanfall may have the mechs...but I think this is probably the most fun. Maybe some of that is because the single player game is so strong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
04 Jan 2017 17:16 #241821 by hotseatgames
Doom is great for SP but Titanfall 2 crushes it in MP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Jan 2017 08:46 #241839 by the_jake_1973
It's been Mount and Blade in it's various iterations and Blood Bowl 2 for me lately. Also some Vermintide on the Xbox.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds