October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
27 Jan 2017 08:41 #243127 by Legomancer
My pals are all into GTA Online at the moment, so I bought GTAV. Did the intro, where the first thing I get to do is threaten innocent people and then headshot a security guard. Then I get to mow down cops. Hooray for me. After that the first mission is stealing a car and racing through the city, which was fun. I get to be a black criminal, huzzah. I knew this wasn't Puppy Petting Simulator but jesus, the whole thing was just aggressively unpleasant.

Finally it's over and I get into GTA Online. I ask for the tutorial and it does nothing, so I just wandered around. Someone shoots me. Ok. I respawn, steal some cars, punch some NPCs. eventually I spot what seems to be another player and I punch him to death. Oh, and it also turns the audio to a bunch of random people on headsets? I have no idea what's happening.

Finally I stole a beer truck and decided to drive it into the sea, which I did. The game has been won, as far as I'm concerned.

Turned out the player I punched was my buddy, coming to say hello. I had no idea of this because I can't read anything on the screen as it's so tiny.

Probably not the $30 I should have spent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2017 13:54 #243159 by Black Barney
It's one of the best games ever made

You're doing it wrong

Punching players to death isn't what you're supposed to do in an Online lobby outside of Deathmatch, unless you're a Griefer

My buddy and I do missions to advance our corporation if we just go and do fun stuff

I love the single player stuff but yeah, you're playing as criminals. They should probably hint buyers at that through the title of the game or something

More
27 Jan 2017 14:51 #243166 by Legomancer
I mentioned that I was aware of the topic. Just not prepared for how unpleasant the whole thing was.

I have no idea what you're supposed to do Online because despite me asking for it, the game never gave me any clues. It dumped me in a city, I had some other players jabbering on my speakers, and tiny scrolling text displayed messages I couldn't read and didn't know what they meant when I could. I stole some cars and "drove" around smashing into things because the cars don't have speeds, they have "on" and "off".

Just not the thing for me. I figured it wasn't, but I guess I wasn't prepared for how much so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Jan 2017 15:28 #243168 by boothwah

Legomancer wrote: I mentioned that I was aware of the topic. Just not prepared for how unpleasant the whole thing was.

I have no idea what you're supposed to do Online because despite me asking for it, the game never gave me any clues. It dumped me in a city, I had some other players jabbering on my speakers, and tiny scrolling text displayed messages I couldn't read and didn't know what they meant when I could. I stole some cars and "drove" around smashing into things because the cars don't have speeds, they have "on" and "off".

Just not the thing for me. I figured it wasn't, but I guess I wasn't prepared for how much so.

More
27 Jan 2017 17:58 #243177 by Black Barney

Legomancer wrote: I mentioned that I was aware of the topic. Just not prepared for how unpleasant the whole thing was.

This is very fair. The online learning curve is very rough

You're not supposed to do online until you are very comfortable with the game in single player. Ideally you have a friend to guide you. Online should not be played lone wolf, its waaaaay more fun with friends. I'm just about to do my first heist but to get there I had to do lots of activities to earn some bank. It's really fun playing with a friend or two when you have an objective of what you want to do

More
27 Jan 2017 18:17 #243179 by jeb
Have you heard about the Dad that made a car with $1.0M in improvements to it? When griefers come up to scratch and mess with him, the in-game insurance hits them for $12.5k or something.

www.polygon.com/2017/1/19/14329874/gta-o...e-trolls-gurntmobile

I haven't played GTA in a while, I have issues with the franchise, but this is my kind of game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
27 Jan 2017 18:49 #243180 by Vlad
I get Legomancer on GTA. Bad writing is a staple of the industry, but I think the GTA series are the only games that I stopped playing because of the writing.
I can't stand the characters, their constant bitching&whining coupled with extreme eagerness to commit whatever atrocity they are proposed by the first stranger they meet. I really enjoy when they get killed, but wish there was a permadeath mode. And I find the writing to be genially racist and chauvinistic. They say it is satire, but by the same token you can argue that so is Trump's tweeter account. In the whole series, there is not one single memorable female character (not saying likable, because nobody in these games is supposed to be).
The on-line is quite good, I heard :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Legomancer

More
27 Jan 2017 19:45 #243183 by hotseatgames
I picked up Swat 4 from gog.com and have been playing it co-op with my sons. It kicks ass, and really gets back to old school tactical shooter difficulty.

More
27 Jan 2017 22:36 - 27 Jan 2017 22:37 #243188 by Gary Sax
Titanfall 2 remains the best multiplayer game of last year. Just regenerated in it. What a game. I played like 3 hours this evening, had that just one more match feeling. And the weapons... it's shocking how much fun it is to change up the weapons and try out new Titans. My favorite Titan has become the sniper one, but not on the map that's on the indoor factory. I love how it starts as a cool high mobility call of duty, with great fluidity, and then after a minute or two of that die, shoot at someone, die, shoot, die quick loop it turns into something totally different once the titans come in. Your best bet is to start grouping up near your titans and helping out to win games. I've seen teams that were up like 100-30 in the Call of Duty phase lose as soon as titans started coming in because they require so much less twitch and so much more teamwork. Amazing interplay.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2017 22:37 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
27 Jan 2017 23:19 #243189 by hotseatgames
Titanfall 2 is great. I regenerated last week. I'm amazed that I've kept up with it.

Tonight I opened up the last area of the Witness. Or at least what you might call the end game. It's on sale for $20 on Steam this weekend, and I can't recommend it enough. Don't feel bad for looking up some solutions; some of them are pure bullshit, or at least more trouble than they are worth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds