October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
06 Feb 2017 15:57 - 06 Feb 2017 16:10 #243557 by Black Barney
it can't deliver that experience.

Were you the one talking about GTA V before? I can't remember who that was.

Watch Dogs 2 will clearly be better than the first one, but what is that saying exactly? Not much.

However, because you and Vlad share a unique set of metrics as to what you want out of a sandbox game, it could very well be for you.

The driving is better, the character and personality of the setting is amazing (as Vlad mentioned), the sandbox itself is fantastic. What Vlad doesn't mention is that the game forces you to commit a bunch of federal crimes that makes Trevor Philips look pretty tame.

Listen carefully, the game is fun... but it's totally restrained fun because of the core decisions of the game. You're doing fun stuff to combar social unrest and manipulation of the media, until the stupid stealth systems FORCE you to pull out gatling guns to have some fun.

The soundtrack is killer tho, Jeb.

You are going to be forced to be the judge, jury and, yes, executioner. I would LOVE to hear what Barnes thinks of this game because it's quite obvious that the inclusion of guns in this game has really brought this game down. Having guns doesn't fit the theme at all. The guns don't work with the basic theme of the game either, they don't add anything at all. The guns highlight the problems with the hacking mechism (which is the alternative to guns) and the mission design.

When i'm talking about the crappy stealth design, i'll try to give an example. You LOOK at a laptop and the AI becomes instantly aggro with you, which will force you to pull out a weapon and kill every last soul in the room. .... or you can crawl out of sight, which is SUPER frustrating to do. All of this will make existing in this world feel really uncomfortable which is a huge problem when the world is cool to live in. It basically will break suspension of disbelief several times and that's jarring for me.

To Vlad's point, the game is desperately trying to be different and would have come closer to succeeding without guns (which make ZERO sense with this particular protagonist btw).

Anyway, i just wanted to give you proper warning. If you want to get it, do me a favour and post back here after 30 hours in the game or so and let me know how you find it.

You guys are right that theft, destruction and murder are the main elements of GTA V. That's the nature of those games. The problem with this game is that it isn't those things but the mechanics will force you to do those things. Which is awful and out of place here.

GTA V really is one of the best video games I've ever played. I love just doing what I want, flying different planes and helicopters.... even touring the entire outside of the island in a submarine to map the floor was incredibly zen and relaxing. I don't need to be shooting people up.

I really wish L.A. Noire was better with the sandbox elements because I LOVED driving around that city.

I think the most peaceful sandbox experience i've ever had in any game was surprisingly Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. i can't explain how peaceful it was sailing around the carribean, occassionally doing some diving, reacting to this huge waves that would come out of nowhere, all the while your crew singing all these sea shanties. And you don't have to shoot or kill anybody if you don't want to. LOVE IT
Last edit: 06 Feb 2017 16:10 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2017 16:29 #243558 by Vlad
Yeah, I was bitching about GTAV before, which got me in the mood of GTA without the assholery, I guess, and that, in turn, lead me into getting Watch Dogs :)

I'm satisfied so far (which I used almost in every sentence) and about 6 hrs. in. It could go all wrong this very evening, in which case I'll post so immediately.

For me, the big question is whether it is feasible to complete the game without becoming a mass murderer.

Barney, any other federal offenses (of which you commit one every ten second or so) are tame by video game (or TV show and film) standards. Duh!

I like the music, but there're not enough songs imho. Unless you can unlock more or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2017 16:45 - 06 Feb 2017 16:51 #243559 by Black Barney
ah i didn't know you were only six hours in. Yeah, give it a few more days and you might start to see cracks in the armor. It's not a bad game, not at all, but it has some major problems that keep it from being what it wanted to be.

The situation in Watch Dogs 2 of not wanting to become a mass murderer when playing is similar to how I was in Oblivion. A game where you didn't have to be a mass murderer if you didn't want to be. BUT the game mechanics kind of forced you to, sometimes. Case in point: I'm shopping in the city capital, in one of the big districts. I am looking at items for sale and I accidentally clicked on an apple which wasn't for sale, so i was stealing it. The shopkeep saw me do it and yelled at me. A member of the city watch was outside within range so he could hear the plea for help, he comes crashing in ordering me to surrender. I pull out my sword and start mashing the 'subdue' button which is what you're supposed to do in order to get arrested (if you just stand there, he will try to kill you eventually). So i'm trying to surrender but this guard is having none of it. I happened to be an orc so I'm positive he was profiling me. Anyway, he starts trying to kill me eventually so I have no choice but to defend myself...

...he falls after a few swings and now everyone in the shop is freaking out. Ken and Boothwah might remember me talking about this character. I designed a huge orc that was SUPER good in Archery. Lord of the Rings was all the rage so I wanted him to be just like Lurtz, who i love. The thing is, i had all these extra attribute points to place and I didn't want to specialize in several weapons, so i poured them all into Mercantile. Imagining Lurtz screaming out, "FIND THE BARGAINS!!!"

Anyway, back to the story. Everyone in the shop runs for help and half of the city watch shows up. I killed pretty much all of them and had to escape the city. Lots of kids didn't have their fathers to tuck them in that night. And all because of one stupid apple.

This situation PRECISELY speaks to the problems with Watch Dogs 2. That apple will be a laptop at some point for you. And all you did was LOOK AT IT. That's a big problem with the game and will result in you being forced to being what you shouldn't ever be.

The thing is in Oblivion, it fits the game to become a mass murderer. it won't fit at all within Watch Dogs 2 because they clearly designed the game to not be about guns, and obviously some jerk in some meeting insisted on adding it late in development.

This same jerk is in lots of these meetings apparently because Amanda Ripley has a gun and kills PEOPLE in Alien: Isolation which makes ZERO sense. Her mom couldn't even kill Burke. That asian chick from Mirror's Edge also has a gun which makes ZERO sense, she's a stupid mail courrier and her first instinct in getting yelled at isn't supposed to be to put a bullet in the security guy's brain. STOP PUTTING GUNS IN EVERYTHING.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2017 16:51 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Vlad

More
06 Feb 2017 17:12 #243560 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: STOP PUTTING GUNS IN EVERYTHING.

Amen. They totally ruined the last Ponies game with that crap.

I must say though, I did have a 4.3 K/D ratio before the Pinky Pie Nerf. Now the meta is all Hand Cannons and Apple Jack.

More
06 Feb 2017 17:18 #243562 by Black Barney
That ponie is so hot right now

ApplejackOP

More
06 Feb 2017 17:24 #243563 by Vlad
Man, that's a lovely story about Oblivion. On the other hand, as far as I remember, those kind of fuck-ups were the only fun parts or at least the only ones worth talking about.

I agree with you on the gun issue in video games.What you say about WD2 sounds tragic, because there're not enough games with engaging non-violent mechanic.

But I still hope you're wrong and just bitching, because I don't remember killing any humans in Alien Isolation. I could, but didn't, because - as you rightly say - mom wouldn't have wanted me to. And you could finish Mirror Edge without killing anybody, there was a special achievement for that (I didn't get it, and actually stopped playing when gun play became prominent).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2017 17:33 #243565 by jeb
Just a reminder on this topic, you can get a Dot Eater cheevo for beating IKARUGA without shooting anyone.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
06 Feb 2017 17:35 #243566 by Black Barney
Believe it or not I got the achievement for no gun play in Mirrors Edge. I didn't get the achievement, however, for not masterbating to the main character. Ridiculous. #kinectalwayson

Yeah, those two games had guns in them, which was dumb, but you didn't have to use them. WD2's stealth mechanic is so bad that you will have to use your guns out of frustration

More
06 Feb 2017 20:08 #243573 by hotseatgames
I always feel bad for the poor creatures of Nexus Ops. Won't someone please think of the lava leapers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
07 Feb 2017 02:45 #243585 by Michael Barnes
I doubt there is much interest in this forum for a video game that is almost exactly a cross between Dark Souls, Diablo, Ninja Gaiden, and Bushido Blade so I will just say that Nioh is awesome and move along.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds