October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
07 May 2017 19:25 #247961 by Disgustipater
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2017 19:30 #247962 by Black Barney
Omg perfect, the most ideal finish would be to only have one kill (the guy that will finish 2nd). You took the absolute minimal risk for the best reward.

Obviously finishing 1st with 97 kills would be impressive but it would require immense luck. Your finish requires guile and brains, I like that

What does the gold do?
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
07 May 2017 19:44 #247963 by hotseatgames
You spend the coins on cosmetic items, but they are random. And the worst part is that each time you buy a chest, which contains ONE random cosmetic, the next chest costs considerably more. It's a fairly shitty system. But again, just cosmetic, so no big deal.

Yes, I thought it was pretty cool that my only kill was the would-be winner. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 May 2017 20:51 #247965 by Black Barney
So it sounds like there are three games like this right now. This one is Battlegrounds right?

My understanding is that the Arma III mod is the most tactical and realistic, H1Z1:KotK is the most arcadey and Battlegrounds is trying to find the sweet spot in the middle.

More
07 May 2017 21:10 #247968 by hotseatgames
Those other two were created by the guy that made Battlegrounds. PlayerUnknown. I've played the Arma 3 mod. It's more realistic but also more annoying since it's very hard to find a good server.

More
07 May 2017 21:41 - 07 May 2017 23:23 #247969 by Gary Sax
Witcher 3 every day, sometimes for multiple hours. Big game.

I played, I think, the best quest in any of these types of games I've ever played. Small thing. Minor Witcher contract in Velen. It's the only time a game has really pulled me out of making the decision I knew was "right" because of the character development. It's such an old game, I'll spoil it:

You come into a town for a Witcher contract but everyone's dead but one girl. Butchered. You go into one of the houses and a monster's head is on a table. Turns out another Witcher got the contract and killed everyone in the town. The little girl tugs at your heartstrings again and you go out to hunt the Witcher down. You meet him and then you have a conversation where you kill him or let him go.

Everything about the encounter coming in told me he needed to die. In literally any other game the situation is so black and white I'd kill him. But the writing is so good---the other Witcher came back with the monster's head and the village elder shorted him on money. Then invited him into the barn and tried to kill him in an ambush. So he goes crazy and kills everyone in the village.

The twist is you've been shit on the entire game in all the incidental dialog, no one respecting the work you do, everyone wanting you dead, being shorted yourself by several clients, you've hunted the particular monster in question before and if the setting is on hard it IS a tough hunt... it hit home. I told him I couldn't judge him. Totally let him go. Brilliant. Nothing about the scene was anything unusual to the genre except that the writing is good AND they play on your actual experiences in the game in character.

My overall advice: play ALL the Witcher contracts in addition to the main story. Secondary missions are hit or miss but Witcher contracts are almost always good.
Last edit: 07 May 2017 23:23 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, hotseatgames

More
08 May 2017 08:07 #247976 by san il defanso
A friend of mine has been telling me that Witcher is great with organic choices like this. He's been extremely complimentary of the game.

Still playing Breath of the Wild, still loving it. I've completed all of the Divine Beasts, so now I'm poking around in new places and finding shrines. I'm also exploring closer to the castle, since I've gotten pretty good at taking on Guardians.

There definitely comes a point when the game is no longer difficult in the same way as the early going. I don't mind much, because it becomes easier from experience. It allows you to experiment more deeply in the late game, which I like. Still loving it. I've been playing almost daily for 2 months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 May 2017 13:27 #247984 by jeb
Man, that sounds great. I am about OVERWATCH'd out, so I think some WITCHER will tide me over til Fall when DESTINY 2 and/or Jeb-gets-a-Switch happens.

More
08 May 2017 13:29 #247985 by the_jake_1973
Did you do the contract to kill the Leshen from some Podunk village that sends their youth into the woods to test themselves? If so, how did you resolve it?

More
08 May 2017 13:43 - 08 May 2017 13:45 #247986 by Gary Sax
My default is to protect monsters that are just doing their thing, so I just did the sacrifice to him and didn't kill it. But then when I came back and the youths went to murder the old man, I didn't do shit and watched them kill him. Domestic politics ain't my job.

In this game if there's any monster that's being antagonized who then decided to kill some people who antagonized it, I'm going to let off. There was a troll that killed some miners who came into his home. I talked to the troll, told him not to kill any innocents, and came back and told the contract guy to go fuck himself.
Last edit: 08 May 2017 13:45 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds