October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
21 Apr 2018 14:27 #267954 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: TLDR: I don’t understand the need to shit on things you don’t like instead of simply saying you don’t like them.

It’s not like he’s comparing John Mayer to prison rape or anything.

Right, he’s discussing trading all music ever to retcon John Mayer’s birth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2018 16:22 #267957 by Michael Barnes
Well, if he included all jam band music in that ultimatum, I might just get onboaed with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, SuperflyPete

More
21 Apr 2018 16:48 #267958 by SuperflyPete
Phunk Junkeez...

More
21 Apr 2018 17:04 #267961 by Michael Barnes
String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, Galactic Cowboys, Dave Matthews Band...all of that garbage is the lowest form of musical entertainment available. Barring Juggalo-affiliated music.

God damn it jam bands. Please erase your entire recorded work and cease performing. You can smoke pot and play your noodle ass guitar solos in th privacy of your homes.

More
21 Apr 2018 17:58 #267962 by SuperflyPete
I don’t like Dave Matthews but if you look at his music there’s about 9,000 chords
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Apr 2018 18:52 #267963 by Michael Barnes
And not one note worth hearing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, SuperflyPete

More
21 Apr 2018 18:53 #267964 by Black Barney
But there is one lead singer worth fucking

More
21 Apr 2018 20:53 #267965 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: And not one note worth hearing.

I would disagree only because so many people like him. Personally, I detest that band. Dave Matthews’ voice and accent are the diametrical inverse of “good”, to me. He’s like a mumble rapper but with what some people call singing.

More
21 Apr 2018 23:58 #267967 by Josh Look
I don’t think equating popularity with greatness or even relevance is a good idea. Survivor has been on the air for 18 years. That doesn’t tell me anything about the quality of the show, it tells me that there’s a ton of really, really stupid people out there.

More
22 Apr 2018 00:03 - 22 Apr 2018 00:04 #267968 by Josh Look

Michael Barnes wrote: Well, if he included all jam band music in that ultimatum, I might just get onboaed with it.

First off, I’m still in the “might” side of things on this. I *might* be willing to do that.

Second, if retconning his birth would rid us of the plague of “chill music” prevelant in the early 2000s and the inevitable string of shitty copycats to come along once the young kids who grew up listening to John Mayer grow up, yeah, I’m finding it pretty hard to say no to. And fuck it, put jam bands in there too.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 00:04 by Josh Look.

More
22 Apr 2018 00:33 #267970 by Michael Barnes
FFS, the thought of KIDS listening to shit like John Mayer...

I remember in the 1990s seeing kids- like 12-18 years old getting into shit like the Spin Doctors, Hootie and the Blowfish, Blues Traveler...and I’m thinking “at that age I was into Slayer, NWA, Minor Threat, Public Enemy,
Anthrax, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag”...

Now kids are really just into artless music about WANTING material things... the good life...unattainable wealth, unattainable love, unattainable success...it all makes me want to put on a TSOL record- “PRESIDENT REAGAN CAN SHOVE IT!”

I suppose that’s better than “chill” music....but still, the thought that kids don’t get into angry, youthful, disaffected, dissatisfied music any more is sad.

/cane shaking

More
22 Apr 2018 14:00 #267975 by Shellhead
I saw the Grateful Dead in 1984, and they were good. I don't have any use for the other jam bands.

More
22 Apr 2018 14:09 - 22 Apr 2018 14:13 #267976 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: FFS, the thought of KIDS listening to shit like John Mayer...

I remember in the 1990s seeing kids- like 12-18 years old getting into shit like the Spin Doctors, Hootie and the Blowfish, Blues Traveler...and I’m thinking “at that age I was into Slayer, NWA, Minor Threat, Public Enemy,
Anthrax, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag”...

Now kids are really just into artless music about WANTING material things... the good life...unattainable wealth, unattainable love, unattainable success...it all makes me want to put on a TSOL record- “PRESIDENT REAGAN CAN SHOVE IT!”

I suppose that’s better than “chill” music....but still, the thought that kids don’t get into angry, youthful, disaffected, dissatisfied music any more is sad.

/cane shaking

Unattainable love...coming from a married man with two kids. That’s rich.

Try listening to “Slow Dancing In A Burning Room” or “Dreaming with a Broken Heart” and see that his music is also about loss, acceptance, denial, other facets of humanity.

Dude, I grew up listening to grunge and gangster rap, punk (NOFX and Black Flag have been in every car I have ever owned) and I ~also~ listen to to other things like (*gasp*) John Mayer, but only the later stuff which is more folk, blues type stuff.

I don’t understand why you have a need to project angst but you’re a suburban white dude raising animals with your vegan white privalege squirting out of your pores. You are those middle aged, suburban white men who you hated growing up. You just went to Paris. You are not Henry Rollins fighting the system. Your greatest works are criticisms of board games and the return to the roots of German gaming. EVEN YOUR GAME CHOICES HAVE GONE BOURGEOISIE.

John Mayer awaits your acceptance of your suburban dadhood, National Triolian 12 string in hand, to welcome you to adulthood. He’ll have a copy of Tigris there, sitting next to a bottle of Drambuie and a boca burger.

\end troll

If you were a WRASSLER, this would be your entry song:
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 14:13 by SuperflyPete.

More
22 Apr 2018 14:24 #267977 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: TLDR: I don’t understand the need to shit on things you don’t like instead of simply saying you don’t like them.

It’s not like he’s comparing John Mayer to prison rape or anything.

I have a confession to make. Until today, I had never listened to a single song by John Mayer. I knew who he was, because of the trail of broken hearts in his wake, but dismissed him as basic because his music never shows up on either of the two great radio stations that I listen to every day. Speaking of which, you can listen to them online:

www.radiok.org/playlist/

www.thecurrent.org/listen

Anyway, thanks to this thread, I gave Mayer a chance. I listened to four songs: Your Body is a Wonderland, Free Fallin' (Tom Petty cover), Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, and Dreaming with a Broken Heart. It was worse than I could have imagined. Slow, boring, weak, lame mediocrity. If this is dad rock, it must be the soundtrack for an afternoon nap on the couch while pro golf is on the big screen. It might also be suitable music for a very white and very bland scene on a teen drama on WB. Compared to John Mayer music, prison rape would at least be lively. John Mayer _is_ Kenny G, only with a microphone and a guitar instead of a saxophone. As for his technical skills, there are plenty of session players with a lot more talent. They just weren't attractive enough to front a commercial enterprise.

More
22 Apr 2018 14:27 #267979 by ChristopherMD
*grabs popcorn*

Been waiting years for a Superfly vs Barnes showdown. Didn't expect it to be over John fucking Mayer but whatever.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.900 seconds