October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2439 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 Feb 2024 21:06 #341837 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: The only thing that bugs me about it is that everyone, including his best friend and ex-wife, calls him by his last name. His first name is Sam, which is not only worlds better than the horrible name Loudermilk, it's two less syllables. Then again, he is usually being a dick, so perhaps they do it to irritate him.

My family was good friends with a Loudermilk family. But you're right, nobody used the Loudermilk name except when referring to them collectively. They even encouraged kids to call them by first name even back when kids were supposed to address adults more formally, like Mister Loudermilk. Anyway, just wanted to note that Loudermilk is a real name.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2024 23:42 #341893 by dysjunct
Binged the whole Netflix AVATAR live action.

It is okay, like 3.75 out of 5. It is upsetting nerds who want it to be exactly like the animated series. That is not the point. The effects are great. The casting is stellar, like legitimately top-notch. They really seem to inhabit the characters and bring them to life. The pacing is breakneck, and that's my biggest gripe. One of the nice things about the show is that there was room to breathe, and sometimes you'd have slice-of-life episodes where the characters were just being people trying to figure stuff, and themselves, out. Here, everything is an emergency and everyone is racing from one end of the world to the other.

But the broad strokes are correct. It's close enough that it doesn't really need to exist -- the cartoon is better, and widely available -- but since we live in a world where everything will be remade, this is a pretty good treatment of the remakes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, jason10mm, sornars, n815e

More
04 Mar 2024 09:40 #341894 by Shellhead
OMG Yellowjackets. I binged the first 8 episodes last weekend. Dark, dramatic, and occasionally funny. I think Game of Thrones fans might like this show, despite the modern setting. Juliette Lewis looks rough and Christina Ricci got a serious makeunder, and they are both great. Melanie Lynskey is a revelation, with so much talent simmering beneath her frumpy surface. The younger actors are generally also good. The music selections are on point, and occasionally brilliant. The show toggles back and forth between 1996 and 2021. In 1996, an undefeated high school girls soccer team is flying to nationals when their plane crashes in a mountainous wilderness. The survivors resorted to extreme measures to survive, and now they are facing a blackmailer in 2021.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, charlest, DarthJoJo

More
04 Mar 2024 11:21 #341899 by Rliyen
Watching Resident Alien with the wife. It's absolutely hysterical. Our running joke with each other is when we hug, my wife will say, "You feel like a hot ham."

Also watching Delicious in Dungeon, which is a funny take on the D&D mindset. When exploring the deeper levels of the dungeon, why worry about food? You can just eat what you've killed. The one that usually has the "I'M NOT EATING THAT!" is the Elf Mage, but once she tries the Dwarf's cooking, she scarfs it down.

Lastly, started House of Ninjas, where modern times still have ninjas, the main protagonist group of ninjas just want to live normal lives after a family loss, and a big threat coming to loom over them. Just started it, but I'm hooked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, DarthJoJo

More
04 Mar 2024 14:22 #341901 by Shellhead
One of my favorite scenes in Yellowjacket so far features a minor character who became a cop sometime after high school. One of his former female classmates asks him about what happened to him after high school and why did he become a cop. He asks her if she wants the long or the short version. She says, "give me the haiku." He replies while counting the syllables with his fingers.

The haiku:

"The band was a bust.
Met a girl and fucked it up.
It's a job, I guess."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, hotseatgames

More
08 Mar 2024 12:57 #341923 by Shellhead
40% of the way into season 2, I am still loving Yellowjackets. In first season, I often anticipated significant plot developments, not because the show is cliched and predictable, but because my dark sense of humor seems to operate on the same wavelength as the writers of the show. And more importantly, they are playing fair with the storytelling by setting up key scenes in advance instead of just going for a cheap blindside of the viewers. When the camera lingers on a small detail, there is a possibility that it will be important later.

The show has become less predictable and even more interesting in the second season. A couple more survivors have been revealed. An apparent master villain surfaced, but subsequent revelations indicate that she is no more in control of the situation than anybody else. Elijah Woods has joined the cast, in a role that leans into previous flashes of dark humor on the show. At the same time, the scarier aspects of the show have also been ramping up. There was a nice chilling scene where a character with dissociative identity disorder is staring in the mirror. She turns away, facing completely away from the mirror, but her reflection is now glaring at the back of her head. Music selections still range from good to great, in terms of emphasizing whatever is happening on screen.

The only thing holding me back from recommending Yellowjackets to everyone is that it is planned to run for five seasons, and season three won't land until 2025. Might be better to wait a couple years before jumping on board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, hotseatgames

More
14 Mar 2024 13:11 #341949 by Shellhead
After a two-week intense binge of Yellowjackets, I am back to my long-range viewing of all things Star Trek in chronological (stardate) order. I am currently halfway through re-watching the first season of Strange New Worlds, which is definitely one of my favorite Star Trek shows so far.

Pondering the various Captains across the whole franchise, I have been striving to capture the distinction between each Captain with a single noun:

Archer, the diplomat
Georgiou, the pragmatist
Lorca, the opportunist
Pike, the idealist
Kirk, the adventurer
Picard, the intellectual
Janeway, the ???
Sisko, the realist

I posed this to my Trek trivia team last night, and one of them said Janeway, the iguana, in reference to a notorious episode of Voyager.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds