October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 Feb 2016 16:30 #223088 by Msample
I remember as a kid having one of those Eagle-1 space ships with the detachable front command module.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2016 16:36 #223090 by Sagrilarus
Watch UFO instead. Space 1999 doesn't make the cut anymore.

More
23 Feb 2016 22:53 #223120 by Shellhead

Msample wrote: I remember as a kid having one of those Eagle-1 space ships with the detachable front command module.

Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten all about that toy. My friend next door had one back then.

It's funny how the ads on Facebook are sometimes blatantly stalking me. This picture popped up in my ad feed on Facebook this evening:

Seems that some company is selling scale models of those Eagle ships:

www.shapeways.com/product/3U4PP4STG/spac...paign=boardgamesdice
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
24 Feb 2016 07:38 #223128 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Shellhead wrote: The science of the show is maddening. On the one hand, they handle some of the space stuff well. There is no sound in space, which is something that too many sci-fi shows have botched. When crew members traverse the lunar landscape, they are properly hopping about like there is reduced gravity. The space suits look realistic, and the VTOL shuttles seem plausible. Even the pace of the show often seems plausible, with less action and more talking, plus occasionally the longish countdown scene. But the initial premise of the moon getting knocked out of Earth orbit and rapidly travelling across the universe is rubbish. The required amount of force would have ruined the base and possibly even shattered the moon. And they would be unable to go anywhere in their ships without being left behind by the rapidly hurtling moon. The three episodes that I recently watched only make vague references to life support systems, but I assume that there are big hydroponic gardens somewhere within the base to feed all these people.

Network executives understand that they are doing these shows for entertainment purposes, not educational purposes.

More
21 Mar 2016 16:28 #224649 by Michael Barnes
I guess no one here cares about Daredevil anymore, especially since that last thread about it turned into some kind of political scrimmage...

Which is too bad, because this season is even better than the first, at least halfway through it. It's a little rougher, maybe a little darker (!) but it is continuing to hit the high bar in terms of quality and in terms of capturing the more Bendis-y Daredevil.

The Punisher arc was/is GREAT. Punisher is a very iffy character, really pushing that 1970s/1980s Dirty Harry/Death Wish mentality pretty hard...but they really went to town with contrasting him with Matt Murdock...and in creating this larger-than-life, scary Terminator-like figure. So when that all breaks down, it's actually quite powerful. Lots of the Ennis/Dillon Punisher in this version, which was expected. Definitely no angels, no super van, not even a skull T-shirt. Loved that they adapted that great rooftop scene where Punisher has Daredevil chained up...but then they followed it up with an AMAZING fight scene with a biker gang. CLASSIC action movie stuff, the kind of thing you talk about later, "that scene where..."

Elektra is also GREAT. She's playful, twisted, deadly, and she represents another foil to Daredevil...the tempter. Some really cool CHARACTER scenes with her and Matt to back up the fighting.

Foggy continues to be the chummy sidekick, which is fine. Karen Page is, oddly, becoming sort of the fill-in Ben Urich...which feels kind of awkward since they killed Ben off so early.

I was worried that Kingpin would leave a void in the show, but so far I've not missed him because Punisher and Elektra have been so strong. They HAVE to do Bullseye in season 3, and/or Typhoid Mary. But I'd really rather see them tackle some adaptation of "Born Again" at this stage.

On the negative, the violence is actually upped in frequency and intensity. There were a couple of bits where it just kind of went too far over the top. But it is a dark, adult show so there's that.

Maybe after this I'll finish Jessica Jones.

More
21 Mar 2016 17:17 - 21 Mar 2016 17:18 #224651 by Gregarius
I'm only four episodes into DD Season 2 and I like it so far. This may sound like an asinine comment, but there seems to be a little too much of a muchness to it. It's maybe a little too dark, or a little too violent, or the scenes/dialogues go on a little too long. I can't exactly put my finger on it.

They recreate the excellent hallway fight scene from the first season, but ramp it up in length and intensity. It's great fight choreography and well filmed, but there's no drama. Why is he even fighting those guys, really? It seemed pointless except for the explicit reason of having another impressive hallway fight scene.

I'm probably being too nit-picky, but it's only because I really love the show. I am a huge fan of the Frank Miller run on Daredevil, but I haven't read any of the Bendis stuff. Is there a particular run that I should check out?

Edit: PS- Jessica Jones is worth finishing.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2016 17:18 by Gregarius.

More
21 Mar 2016 17:22 #224652 by boothwah
I just finished Daredevil Season 1 - WoW - loved it - Kingpin was spot on awesome - I think maybe it was an episode or 2 long - Great aesthetic - cool story - decent acting - Really forward to season 2 and Punisher. It's a bummer that they killed off Urich because I think he added a really cool dynamic.

Jessica Jones...man Tenant was amazing. But that series should have been 5 episodes shorter. It could be exacerbated by the fact that I binge watched - If any one watches it fresh please stop watch all the dialogue free scenes that have Jessica either staring at a liquor bottle, searching for a liquor bottle, staring blankly after polishing off a liquor bottle, etc - I bet there is at least 1 hour of footage her and a bottle. Way freaking overdone.

More
21 Mar 2016 17:43 #224653 by the_jake_1973
I liked JJ, but I wish she could have brought a little less 'Bitch in Apt 23' into the role. Or perhaps she is already typecast as the cranky snark lady and the two roles have personality overlap.

More
21 Mar 2016 17:47 #224654 by Shellhead

Gregarius wrote: I'm probably being too nit-picky, but it's only because I really love the show. I am a huge fan of the Frank Miller run on Daredevil, but I haven't read any of the Bendis stuff. Is there a particular run that I should check out?

You might enjoy the Waid run on Daredevil, volume 3, #1-36 (2011-2014). While still including plenty of drama and action, it's a much more light-hearted take on Daredevil than Marvel has delivered since the silver age of comics. Bendis did a great job of bringing realistic dialogue to the courtroom scenes, but he often fumbles the ending on storylines. The Brubaker run right after Bendis is also good, but both Bendis and Brubaker were heavy on the drama and tragedy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
21 Mar 2016 17:57 #224655 by bfkiller
Please tell me Punisher shoots Foggy in the head at some point.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.657 seconds